The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What cams did you end up with?
OE Ford. All in the interest of staying in NASA TT3. It was very tempting to go for the L&M setup, especially when they would have been $500 less than OE. Would have required another trip to see Shaun as well. I’ll datalog the dyno pulls here locally tomorrow and send to Shaun just to make sure we’re still dialed and then Big Willow on Saturday.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
If you don’t post a video of the dyno sesh, did it even really happen??!!

HP +4, torque +10 compared to the old engine. Probably just enough to keep me from running Hoosiers in TT3

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you don’t post a video of the dyno sesh, did it even really happen??!!

HP +4, torque +10 compared to the old engine. Probably just enough to keep me from running Hoosiers in TT3

What....no numbers?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
After a slight pause for the engine rebuild, we’re back in pursuit of the NASA TT3 regional championship. Event #6 was this past weekend at Buttonwillow, running a configuration that was new to me - 25cw. I don’t often look at the track records before an event, as historically I haven’t been close enough to even bother. But I happened to look last week at 25cw, and was thrilled to see the record holder was none other than @5.2 liters of democracy! I was hopeful to have a shot at it, but also hate going after a record that a good friend holds. First competition session on Saturday with sticker A7’s mounted up. With a 1:56.1 flyer, the record was set! You should have seen the look on Shane’s face when I told him sorry for breaking his record. His response - “what record??” 🤣. I guess it all worked out - he was happy to find out about his record, and was very excited that I broke it! The time held up for P1 and 100 needed points towards the championship.

Back at it Sunday morning, and with the cooler temps, the 2nd heat cycle on the A7’s didn’t disappoint. I was blown away when the lap timer flashed a 1:54.8 at the stripe, resetting the previous days record by 1.3 seconds!! I thought for sure the lap was blown when a very fast TT4 car pointed me by offline coming into Star Mazda turn. It definitely cost a bit of time, but I stayed in it and was pleasantly surprised. The time held up for P1, bringing the season total to 7 wins out of 8 days.

Here’s a quick video from Track Addict (the new iPhone is actually pretty good for this!)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
After a slight pause for the engine rebuild, we’re back in pursuit of the NASA TT3 regional championship. Event #6 was this past weekend at Buttonwillow, running a configuration that was new to me - 25cw. I don’t often look at the track records before an event, as historically I haven’t been close enough to even bother. But I happened to look last week at 25cw, and was thrilled to see the record holder was none other than @5.2 liters of democracy! I was hopeful to have a shot at it, but also hate going after a record that a good friend holds. First competition session on Saturday with sticker A7’s mounted up. With a 1:56.1 flyer, the record was set! You should have seen the look on Shane’s face when I told him sorry for breaking his record. His response - “what record??” 🤣. I guess it all worked out - he was happy to find out about his record, and was very excited that I broke it! The time held up for P1 and 100 needed points towards the championship.

Back at it Sunday morning, and with the cooler temps, the 2nd heat cycle on the A7’s didn’t disappoint. I was blown away when the lap timer flashed a 1:54.8 at the stripe, resetting the previous days record by 1.3 seconds!! I thought for sure the lap was blown when a very fast TT4 car pointed me by offline coming into Star Mazda turn. It definitely cost a bit of time, but I stayed in it and was pleasantly surprised. The time held up for P1, bringing the season total to 7 wins out of 8 days.

Here’s a quick video from Track Addict (the new iPhone is actually pretty good for this!)

Great run, how’s that motor feel? Sound awesome.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Great run, how’s that motor feel? Sound awesome.
Really happy with how it’s running. I added 25# of ballast to compensate for the slight HP increase. Comparing top speeds on the 2 common straights of the BW configurations, the new engine is pulling 3-5 more mph.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
"Hey Shane, did you know you're a record holder?"

"I am?! That's awesome!"

"Aaaaand, it's gone." 😆

Huge congrats Tom! From putting together an engine in a week to continuous 1st places, you're an inspiration!
We’ve been missing you out here! Any events circled on the calendar after the summer break?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
We’ve been missing you out here! Any events circled on the calendar after the summer break?
Yeaaaah, I've kind of taken a little break recently. Just focusing on different things. Put a lot of work into the house this year.

I'm done for the summer but definitely be back in October. Gonna try to do one in Oct, Nov, Dec and I'll finally be off the Toyo RR's. Either going with Nankang CRS or 3R's.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
You should have punted Jean-Luc prior to Phil Hill. :)

I thought I saw your car out there this weekend - great work.
Problem was it happened to be Brett Strom driving this session. I’m usually not able to get in the same zip code when he’s behind the wheel, let alone get a point by??!! Win within the win!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well, I was called to the principal’s office yesterday 🤣. First time getting pulled for a dyno check, which seems to be really uncommon in our NASA SoCal region. Good thing the summer heat and elevation at Willow Springs were in my favor - peak whp came in 20 hp below my submitted dyno so I passed the test! Full event recap to follow once the official results are posted, but a good point haul for the weekend and we’re still very much in the hunt for the season championship with 2 events remaining!

Thanks to @5.2 liters of democracy for the pic:
image000000.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
NASA TT event #7 was back at one of my favorites - Willow Springs - Big Willow. News started trickling out mid-July about a repave of the track and NASA would be the first group to run the new surface. The project is being split into 2 phases, with the 2nd phase scheduled for 2024. Phase 1 went from the braking zone on the main straight into T1 and all the way through T6. They brought the asphalt grinders in and stripped the old surface down and replaced with a beautiful new black top. T7-T9, the main straight and hot pit received a seal-coat to help extend it to next year when it will be milled and replaced. A huge financial commitment from the track owners and so great to see the continued preservation of this historic track.

TT3 was well attended and the largest class again, with 7 cars both days. All of our regulars along with a guy that has run some past events, but nothing this year. Well apparently he’s been working on the car as he found some time on Big Willow since his last time here! My session 2 time of 1:28.96 held up for P1 by a mere 0.16 over Thomas’s 1:29.12. First time into the 28’s for me, so I was really excited for that, but knew I would have my work cut out for Sunday.

Goal for Sunday’s 1st session was to improve on Saturday’s time. Mission accomplished with a 1:28.769. As I rolled through the scales at tech, the lead tech guy asked me to pull forward and park my car - I was headed to the dyno! (See post above). If that didn’t add enough fun for the morning, I was sitting in P2 by a mere 0.038!! Pressure was on to run session 2 before it got too hot, but now to deal with the dyno. Luck was on my side - the dyno guy wasn’t scheduled to be to the track until 10am and with session 2 scheduled for 10:20, the TT director cleared me to run the session, but report directly to the dyno after.

Back out on track for session 2 and was very pleased with 2 clean laps. At this point, the guy I’m chasing is gridded right ahead of me. I was thrilled when the timer flashed 1:28.046 as I crossed the line - and the gap between us was cut down considerably so I knew he hadn’t gone faster. I dropped off for my dyno visit, he stayed out. As I’m waiting for the dyno process, I pulled up live timing - only to be crushed when he threw down a 1:26.9 on his 11th lap……..the pain!! Super exciting day, and so much fun when the field is this tight.

Currently sitting in 4th place in season points, all 3 cars ahead of me have scored points every event this year. I had to use my drop days for mechanical already, so I have 4 days at 0 points. If the season ended today, I would be P1 by a little over 100 points after the others dropped their 4 lowest. Now it’s all about scoring points the remaining 2 weekends - wish me luck!

IMG_8486.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg
IMG_8483.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel