The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5.0 Mustang & FF Cobra Jet Intake Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean said:
I would have just posted up a link to the article itself from their website but I couldn't find it for the life of me so I just decided to do this instead lol.
The cams were done previous to this test. This was solely by adding the CJ intake, 65mm TB and a modified JLT intake tube. I remember reading a thread on here when the Boss302S had got its CJ intake Mike Wilson (I believe that was his name, but I could be wrong) had said that they bigger TB they added to this intake the more power it kept on making. So I am curious to see what this thing can do with the SCJ TB and a 140mm MAF on it on the Cobra Jet cams.

It is just my opinion but the CJ cams might just be better than the Comp stage 3 cams as Ford Racing obviously chose to keep the VCT function in the Cobra Jet for some reason instead of locking them out. So there must have been some benefit to it since I would imagine that they are trying to squeak every little bit of power out of the car.

Thanks for chiming in...

The FR cams do indeed retain I-VCT..

You're probably referring to Mark.

Wonderful person and I cannot say enough good things about him...

VTBoss302

PS - Hopefully, FOMOCO and FR are listening :p

ArizonaGT said:
hnng1.jpg

ROTFL

VTBoss302

Sean said:
I would have just posted up a link to the article itself from their website but I couldn't find it for the life of me so I just decided to do this instead lol.
The cams were done previous to this test. This was solely by adding the CJ intake, 65mm TB and a modified JLT intake tube. I remember reading a thread on here when the Boss302S had got its CJ intake Mike Wilson (I believe that was his name, but I could be wrong) had said that they bigger TB they added to this intake the more power it kept on making. So I am curious to see what this thing can do with the SCJ TB and a 140mm MAF on it on the Cobra Jet cams.

It is just my opinion but the CJ cams might just be better than the Comp stage 3 cams as Ford Racing obviously chose to keep the VCT function in the Cobra Jet for some reason instead of locking them out. So there must have been some benefit to it since I would imagine that they are trying to squeak every little bit of power out of the car.

The comp cams have 20 degrees of adjustment with the phaser lockouts compared to 50 degrees for factory/CJ cams.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Have the Magazine and have read it several times. I keep telling my self, I do not need more power. I do not need more power. I have plenty of power.
This is really not helping. These Ford racing guys just do not stop! I really want one, but will be last on my list.
I think we will see a Boss motor with a CJ and power pack in the 2015 Mach One or GT350 or what ever they will call it. I like Mach One with Cobra jet . What a great program Ford Racing has, good job!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would love to have this set up as well but its just to costly of a mod. in for over 2 grand easy to do this mod. thats 2 grand towards a blower :)

I am excepting gifts though so if someone wants to buy the parts for me I will gladly use them :)

loco pantelonez said:
The comp cams have 20 degrees of adjustment with the phaser lockouts compared to 50 degrees for factory/CJ cams.

You sir are correct! I am so used to talking about the 127500/600's that I always keep saying lockouts lol.

Still there must have been some reason FRPP chose to keep full adjustment on these cams instead of going with a more aggressive grind. Maybe I am over thinking these things.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
It's my understanding that the extra 30 degrees retained by not having the phaser limiters is only used at idle to decrease the pumping energy required, so it saves fuel. The limiters just prevent an interference situation.

TMO Supporting Vendors