The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5.0 Mustang & FF Cobra Jet Intake Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I received my September 2013 issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords in the mail today. In is is an article titled Flying Higher of Manual Garcia's Boss 302 with a CJ intake installed with the rest of his mods. It showed a peak HP gain of 25.75@6,700 RPM's and peak torque increase of 20.55@6,400 RPM's. I'd really like to see this intake on a stock Boss 302 with an AED tune, Airaid intake, throttle body, and Jegs cat delete pipes with the rev limiter set to 8,000. Who's going first? ;D BTW the peak HP with his mods is 495.5. WOW!

The magic 100HP per naturally aspirated liter is in sight...

Time for Ford Racing to offer Boss owners a "Power Pack" complete with ProCal..

Paging mwilson7 ;)

VTBoss302

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VTBoss302 said:

Paging mwilson7 ;)

VTBoss302

I think Mark said that was a possibility, it all just depends how much we are willing to pay for it (aka how much profit margin is there for FRPP)

9249922434_b6589c12b0_b.jpg
9247136633_856ac5ba0b_b.jpg9247134933_36ac473ef9_b.jpg
9247133749_64ed4cdf28_b.jpg9249916494_1394a1a948_b.jpg
9249915004_7e5084614b_b.jpg9249913390_bcef9a88d5_b.jpg

I scanned these during lunch so my apologies if they aren't that legible. If you click on the picture they should get bigger and yes Manuel is a member on here.

ArizonaGT said:
I think Mark said that was a possibility, it all just depends how much we are willing to pay for it (aka how much profit margin is there for FRPP)

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is provided it can be done with a 49 state legal tune...

Prototype on the FR mule for reference..

IMG_0553_zps0090d8e9.jpg

VTBoss302

NFSBOSS said:
And that's an Airaid box and hopefully tube. Hopefully they will make a TB connector that works with my CF intake. I'm dying to do this but I probably won't.

Yep.

Note the provision for the expansion tank:

IMG_0558_zps452bb61c.jpg

VTBoss302

I'm sure the cams had something to do w the Hp increase...16 ft lb of tq......Hardly worth the money....Drive the car better...don't worry about the power. Last time I went to Sebring I went out with a VERY experienced instructor in a 2007 Saleen and the guy drove the wheels off it (freaking insane). The driver mod is the best mod!

NFSBOSS said:
Thanks Sean, that's one way to do it.
I would have just posted up a link to the article itself from their website but I couldn't find it for the life of me so I just decided to do this instead lol.

thebull said:
I'm sure the cams had something to do w the Hp increase...16 ft lb of tq......Hardly worth the money....Drive the car better...don't worry about the power. Last time I went to Sebring I went out with a VERY experienced instructor in a 2007 Saleen and the guy drove the wheels off it (freaking insane). The driver mod is the best mod!
The cams were done previous to this test. This was solely by adding the CJ intake, 65mm TB and a modified JLT intake tube. I remember reading a thread on here when the Boss302S had got its CJ intake Mike Wilson (I believe that was his name, but I could be wrong) had said that they bigger TB they added to this intake the more power it kept on making. So I am curious to see what this thing can do with the SCJ TB and a 140mm MAF on it on the Cobra Jet cams.

It is just my opinion but the CJ cams might just be better than the Comp stage 3 cams as Ford Racing obviously chose to keep the VCT function in the Cobra Jet for some reason instead of locking them out. So there must have been some benefit to it since I would imagine that they are trying to squeak every little bit of power out of the car.

VTBoss302 said:

Paging mwilson7 ;)

VTBoss302

My exact thoughts. Maybe a special edition Power pack for boss owners with the intake, cams, exhaust and tune. :)

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
wwilde001 said:
My exact thoughts. Maybe a special edition Power pack for boss owners with the intake, cams, exhaust and tune. :)

Amen Brother!!! Waiting for just such a package.....and ready to move my belongings into the garage to prove it to my financial advisor :).

Wayne

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
I'm the kind of crazy to do this.

Not a stock boss, but close enough.

I think this intake and a set of longtubes are in my 2014 plan, see how close I can get to that magic 500 number.

Looks like Shaun at AED has already tuned two cars with the CJ intake setup (according to his posts on SVTP), so that's great news that you wouldn't be the guinea pig.

ArizonaGT said:
Looks like Shaun at AED has already tuned two cars with the CJ intake setup (according to his posts on SVTP), so that's great news that you wouldn't be the guinea pig.

FOR ONCE! LOL Just do it Chris.

TMO Supporting Vendors