The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5.1L coyote swapped - Further cooling mods for road course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of curiosity, are you using the MMR oil filter relocation kit?? Thanks to a tip from @Fabman, replacing that mmr adapter plate was a very good move. The oil passages are two small!
i was running a mishimoto oil cooler plate for a couple years. I switch to a setrab cooler plate both are non thermostatic. Both plates were about the same oil pressure. hot idle oil pressure was around 80 psi (take with a grain of salt my idle is 1300 rpm). Hot oil pressure above 2500 rpm is around 125 psi. this was with oil squirters and VCT deleted. the new motor will have oil squirters and still no VCT. so who knows what I will land at when its together.

The proof is in your combination when it comes to oiling. manufacturing tolerance is different from engine to engine. that being said what works for you may not work for someone else. as a baseline hot idle on a stock coyote should be above 25 psi with 5w50. above 2k rpm should be above 45 psi.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I can only report what I'm seeing.
Not sure how much is from efficient ducting/hood venting or my custom 3 row/3 pass radiator or how much e85 plays a part, but even at 100*+ ambient I'm seeing relatively cool temps....so at least some of this stuff is working.
E85 definitely helps, I run 100UL currently but I have been contemplating the switch for that reason. One other local guy out here runs E85 and his car is often much cooler than mine.

Similar setup, I am measuring mine at the hottest points (the Tdelta is ~20* through the oil cooling loop), reading coolant at the driver's cylinder head where the "steam vent" is located, and reading oil temps before the cooler and after the cooler on its way back in. Last race before nationals was 230water and 280hot/262cool side oil temperatures. 3 row radiator (though I have a more dense fin PWR sitting here I need to deploy), 948 setrab, all of it boxed and vented on the way out. I think ambients and the fuel come into play, and I'm still not 100% certain why just a little backpressure in the exhaust makes my temps rise so much.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
E85 definitely helps, I run 100UL currently but I have been contemplating the switch for that reason. One other local guy out here runs E85 and his car is often much cooler than mine.

Similar setup, I am measuring mine at the hottest points (the Tdelta is ~20* through the oil cooling loop), reading coolant at the driver's cylinder head where the "steam vent" is located, and reading oil temps before the cooler and after the cooler on its way back in. Last race before nationals was 230water and 280hot/262cool side oil temperatures. 3 row radiator (though I have a more dense fin PWR sitting here I need to deploy), 948 setrab, all of it boxed and vented on the way out. I think ambients and the fuel come into play, and I'm still not 100% certain why just a little backpressure in the exhaust makes my temps rise so much.
A good quality perf core straight through muffler will have very little back pressure. Its more about the amount of sound attention media in the muffler and where the exhaust it pointing. You can be much much louder if the tail pipes are pointing down or away from the meter. Mines super quiet, too quiet. I could have used much shorter mufflers and still made sound. I’m happy to share part numbers if anyone cares.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Auckland

Perhaps the same cause creates backpressure and temperature? I'm not sure, but it looks that way.

TMO Supporting Vendors