The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5.1L coyote swapped - Further cooling mods for road course

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
🤣 thanks lol I had thought about going to a larger cooler and moving it behind. What kind of coolers would you recommend?
You could just try your existing Mishimoto first. But I’d say the biggest one you could fit and afford if you try another. I trust the Setrab brand, but anything that has decent test data and is over a 948 equivalent btu should work.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Andrew just copy mine. It works flawlessly in heavy competition and in the heat. Water and oil temps are no issue and I don’t even turn the fan on unless it’s stopped for an extended time. It just works and you've seen more of it than most have. Lol. I didn’t want to lose my hood scoop either but I got over that pretty quick and now prefer the hood louvre look.

Last edited:
As a rule I don’t like to locate an oil cooler in front of a radiator, you are basically pre heating the air going through it with an automatic increase in water temp
On my s550 track car I went with an Harrop oil cooler kit that seat parallel to the ground.
MustangEOCFItted(web)-500x500.jpg
Pushing the car on squared 305 on a 103* track day, maximum water temp was 230 and oil 257
The cooler is a Setrab

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
As a rule I don’t like to locate an oil cooler in front of a radiator, you are basically pre heating the air going through it with an automatic increase in water temp
On my s550 track car I went with an Harrop oil cooler kit that seat parallel to the ground.
View attachment 67185
Pushing the car on squared 305 on a 103* track day, maximum water temp was 230 and oil 257
The cooler is a Setrab
This is interesting....so it feeds from the lower grill and exhausts out the bottom....is that whats going on here?

This is interesting....so it feeds from the lower grill and exhausts out the bottom....is that whats going on here?
Yep. You’re 100% correct. And with the removal of the factory oil-to-water cooler, I also removed a huge thermal load on on cooling system

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yep. You’re 100% correct. And with the removal of the factory oil-to-water cooler, I also removed a huge thermal load on on cooling system
With the exception of feeding air to the underside of the car its a sweet setup.
I have a more traditional setup but very well ducted and I get similar numbers.
More than one way to skin the cat. lol.

EDIT: I'm at 220 water and 210 oil temp in competition. I make 477 rwhp and shift at 8k

Last edited:
Andrew just copy mine. It works flawlessly in heavy competition and in the heat. Water and oil temps are no issue and I don’t even turn the fan on unless it’s stopped for an extended time. It just works and you've seen more of it than most have. Lol. I didn’t want to lose my hood scoop either but I got over that pretty quick and now prefer the hood louvre look.
What is your take on the no fan shroud option? What fan do you have?

Can someone explain the logic of rolling the radiator to me?
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it is this. The air enters the radiator at an upward angle ideally from the lower grille. Especially with large splitters this is the highest pressure zone on the front of the car as the blade is creating big downforce. The air moves through the coolers and exits the center hood vent 2” behind the radiator. This is the easiest flow path for air increasing airflow through coolers while decreasing lift and keeping the front end of the car more stable.

Basically it’s the most direct and unrestricted path through.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it is this. The air enters the radiator at an upward angle ideally from the lower grille. Especially with large splitters this is the highest pressure zone on the front of the car as the blade is creating big downforce. The air moves through the coolers and exits the center hood vent 2” behind the radiator. This is the easiest flow path for air increasing airflow through coolers while decreasing lift and keeping the front end of the car more stable.

Basically it’s the most direct and unrestricted path through.
Egg Zachery.

TX
We’re in the Houston area. There’s an event in august but I unfortunately won’t make it. Hoping early next year.

Very cool. MSR-Houston is a pretty fun test n tune type of track. Good for cheaper track days and has a pretty great flow, IMHO.

I run COTA with Edge Addicts - next event is October 6-7 ( I think) and then there's one in December before the holidays. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
With the exception of feeding air to the underside of the car its a sweet setup.
I have a more traditional setup but very well ducted and I get similar numbers.
More than one way to skin the cat. lol.

EDIT: I'm at 220 water and 210 oil temp in competition. I make 477 rwhp and shift at 8k

Update:
This years motor makes 507 rwhp and after 2 years of wheel to wheel competition my water/oil temps have stayed around 220/210 in all climate conditions.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Update:
This years motor makes 507 rwhp and after 2 years of wheel to wheel competition my water/oil temps have stayed around 220/210 in all climate conditions.
That's wild - mine can get up to 260 if not more on oil, 235 on water is a pretty standard figure. If I cork up the exhaust to pass sound, oil skyrockets to 290+ in a 30 minute race and I'll flirt with 260 water temps and the associated limp modes. Half our race schedule in AZ features race times at 95* ambient which is a challenge, but if you throw in a bit of altitude or sound restriction things get real hairy real fast for a lot of the ST1 and ST2 fields from a cooling perspective.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's wild - mine can get up to 260 if not more on oil, 235 on water is a pretty standard figure. If I cork up the exhaust to pass sound, oil skyrockets to 290+ in a 30 minute race and I'll flirt with 260 water temps and the associated limp modes. Half our race schedule in AZ features race times at 95* ambient which is a challenge, but if you throw in a bit of altitude or sound restriction things get real hairy real fast for a lot of the ST1 and ST2 fields from a cooling perspective.
I can only report what I'm seeing.
Not sure how much is from efficient ducting/hood venting or my custom 3 row/3 pass radiator or how much e85 plays a part, but even at 100*+ ambient I'm seeing relatively cool temps....so at least some of this stuff is working.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Clearly my electric water pump isn't a problem.

My god!!! That thing is still pulling to 8000 mine starts closing down at 7200 :-( What are the specs on your cams?
.576 and 252 duration @ .50 for intake
.532 and 262 duration @ .50 for exhaust.
Both cams are locked out.
The ported cobra jet ran out of steam by 8500. I’m changing shortblocks for more compression. Nothing wrong with the 11.5:1 but it had me chasing that 600 number. The new motor is a 13.5:1 on a 3.700” block. 600+ to the rear wheels now using the new MMR composite CNC intake manifold

D6F70A1A-DF54-47B0-89AC-258A7D9717A8.jpeg

AEBD9FB2-EB27-4ECB-A45A-40CC6BEC221A.jpeg

875D8A0E-0B48-4193-B1D5-D99392E7DD9F.jpeg

07A125D4-03FD-4BCD-9FBB-3E6CE5C43BA2.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors