The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5.2L Aluminator XS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You would need to purchase different cams (M-6550-M52A) and use gen 1 cam phasers. That would make all of the electronics work assuming you have an originally equipped coyote S197. You may have to get a different oil pan, but I'll check to be sure....

You should be good with the GT350 oil pan that comes on the engine but you will also need to use the M-6880-M501oil filter adapter as well. You can opt to go for a remote mounted oil filter too....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ford Performance is offering different cams for the 5.2s that can be used with either Gen 1 or Gen 2 front timing solenoids etc.

That doesn't help the A52XS crate application so much, but if you are building an engine from the FPP catalog, there are options.

Ford Performance is offering different cams for the 5.2s that can be used with either Gen 1 or Gen 2 front timing solenoids etc.

That doesn't help the A52XS crate application so much, but if you are building an engine from the FPP catalog, there are options.

I guess part of my question is why can't the aftermarket tuners adjust for the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 timing solenoids?

The Ford Performance crate option is what interests me most for a replacement engine. There is a big piece of mind that comes with these engines and a 24/24,000 warranty. I would suspect that swapping cams and solenoids for S197 compatibility would void the warranty.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I guess part of my question is why can't the aftermarket tuners adjust for the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 timing solenoids?

Even *if* possible...changing tuning strategies to handle different hardware like the phasers is way more complicated than a tuner 'adjusting' for it. I wouldn't recommend making such global changes to any tune.

In the V6L
I guess part of my question is why can't the aftermarket tuners adjust for the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 timing solenoids?...

I don't know for sure, but having tuned a Coyote engine when they first came out, there's probably a difference in the way that the ECU controls the cams. Aftermarket tuners can tell the ECU what settings they want for the cams by changing the settings tables. They can't change the protocol the ECU uses to send those settings to the phasers. The protocols are hard-coded in the ECU.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^That's what I'm getting at.

Gen 2 phasers are 'mid lock'. IIRC, Gen 1 lock on the full retard side. IOW, Gen 1 only moves in one direction from the lock position and the Gen 2 phasers can go in both directions from the lock position.

This difference alone would make copying tables, etc. impossible.

TMO Supporting Vendors