The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5 Ford Engineers at the Event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Re: 4 Ford Engineers at the Event

cloud9 said:
That's because you don't track your car. If you would spend less time worrying about the "problems" and join us on the track you would see plenty of M3s getting passed. My favorite was the one with the license plate that said MOVOVR ;)

:)

As a prior owner of an M3 which had 10 years of development and seat time, I can tell you that my lap times, with far fewer mods, are SIGNIFICANTLY faster than those in the M3.

Quit hard-parking and drive the damn thing.

JScheier said:
As a prior owner of an M3 which had 10 years of development and seat time, I can tell you that my lap times, with far fewer mods, are SIGNIFICANTLY faster than those in the M3.
They are going to LOVE hearing you tell that story John 8)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

The M3 is a good, solid, safe car, DD or at the track. My son just bought a Dinan-equipped one to do the DD/Track double duty. That all said, anyone who truly believes that an M3 is even close to a Boss at the track does not yet know what a Boss can do - period. It is not even close. I can tell you first hand that the only M3 that has ever earned a point by from me was significantly modified including being made much lighter, in one case about 2900 lbs. with a full race grade suspension.

And if you think M3's don't have issues from track duty (as almost all cars do), then you don't know jack about M3's either ;D

PeteInCT said:
That all said, anyone who truly believes that an M3 is even close to a Boss at the track does not yet know what a Boss can do - period. It is not even close.

And if you think M3's don't have issues from track duty (as almost all cars do), then you don't know jack about M3's either ;D
Even with my modest skills I've disposed of many M3's at the track. Add to that several P cars including two new GTS's and add to the list an Audi R8 V8. ;D Of course I have been passed by a Miata though. :p

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

PeteInCT said:

Hmmm... let me see:

1. at least 4 burst PS lines
2. two cracked radiator necks
3. torn RLCA mount
4. Torn sub-frame mount
5. broken rear shock mount

PeteInCT

Connecticut

My sons E36 is on its 3'rd radiator. Next one is full aluminium ;D

I will thank them for building a $40k something car that can whip up on M3s and P cars and how I can wring a little faster lap time out of mine.

Pass along my thanks to them, too. But, please don't waste an opportunity to get some valuable information about some serious track issues.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I will thank them for building a $40k something car that can whip up on M3s and P cars and how I can wring a little faster lap time out of mine.

Pass along my thanks to them, too. But, please don't waste an opportunity to get some valuable information about some serious track issues.
Oh we'll try for sure ;) Trust me I've broken lots of things on the car already and know areas we'd all like to improve if possible. With over 40 track days in the car, I've got a couple questions ;D

Hit a bad tooth huh ;D Look I said I have never seen one meaning where are the videos? I have raced enough in my life time to know this is a good car what I hit at is the shifting problems while the car is all out not just driving around the track to look like a race it's that simple if you are not expeirencing the shift issues then your not driving the heck out of it. Trust me if I take this car to a track it's not going to be following people around until they wave me on, thats not racing. That is a track event to myself it is cool but not a race.

jeepinocala said:
I have never seen one of these beat an m3 yet?

jeepinocala said:
Hit a bad tooth huh ;D Look I said I have never seen one meaning where are the videos?

Watch the first 50 seconds of this video. M3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwaecciXj0[/youtube]

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska

Thanks for the post and the video. As I have told a bunch of my friends , since they all have known I have wanted an M3 for about 10 years, it only took 3 laps in Todd Soderquist's LS last year and the Bimmer was no longer a shimmer in my eye. As an Instructor at two tracks, a Porsche DE Instructor, and having raced until recently in SCCA ( National Comp. License ), I had driven plenty of M3s ,hence my desire. The Boss is flat faster, and thanks to the video , just another testament to end that conversation.

Put my money where my mouth is , as 3 laps switched 10 years of lust.

So the situation is simple...." The lust for an M3 is dust, but unlike a rolling stone gathering no moss, da Ghermann Kar kan't katch da Boss !!!

Yu vantzz da Ghermann kar mit moss, or du yu vant de Boss?!

PeteInCT

Connecticut

I don't know, Bill. That could have been a Prius that you passed. You went by him way too fast ! ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

jeepinocala said:
Hit a bad tooth huh ;D Look I said I have never seen one meaning where are the videos?

Trust me... I'm not a fanboy. I run my Boss in NASA Time Trials in the TTA class (well, now TTS because of dampers, and other misc. crap). If I'm sitting behind you waiting for a pass, it's because you are a NDA and I don't want to get hit ;)

There are plenty of 'small' things wrong with the Boss. Cooling is my major concern, but at a mile above sea level, that's partly my fault. We'll see if my recent modifications work at Hastings (significantly lower than Denver).

I've only had shifting issues at one track; Pueblo Motorsports Park. In particular, turn 7 which is an on-camber hairpin with an off-camber entry. I think between the approach (100+ mph), the braking, the turning and the acceleration, the motor is moving too much and loads up the shifter linkage. I went back recently with a Barton shift bushing and did not have the problem. If you think I'm driving like a 'P'... ask Smitty what my times on that track were. Top it off with 4 seconds faster on that track with new tires ;)

FWIW, the M3 has a VERY similar shift linkage setup... and I had the EXACT same issues in that turn with the M3 until I stiffened the transmission and engine mounts. I'll be looking into that for the Mustang when I have spare minutes.

Actually, if one were to put an M3 and the Boss up on a lift, you would see many similarities in the suspension (front) and shift linkages.

If I had a chance to air my 'biggest' gripe, it would be the weight of the car. 3500+ lbs is redonculous :eek: Of course, the 2015 Mustang is beleived to be lighter if you buy the rumors. Now, stick a 444 HP motor in it and my 2012 may go up for sale ;)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska

John just posted because he is more of a post whore than me and he had to edge ahead.

Now we izzz tied .

Got an MGW short throw shift kit --missed shifts are a thing of the past!!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska

Need to register now ???

We noticed there was not a registration form on the site ( www.racemph.com Mustang/Ford Roundup ) so you can do one of the following;

1. Print off the registration , scan it, and email in to [email protected]
2. Fax over the registration , attn: George Anderson at 402-463-0011
3. Call George Anderson at 402-461-0031 ( he can be hard to catch , so try 1 or 2 if possible )

Pushing 75 vehicles , so let's see if we can't bust through 100 !!!???

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska

Get in those late registrations as all the Ford Engineers are bringing Bosses , except one, who has listed ..........2013 MY Stang ..............hmmm ??

Scan , fax or call George we want to get to 100 participants.

New Boss numbers now at 19 vehicles.

cloud9 said:
YellowJacketBoss302 said:

Oh we'll try for sure ;) Trust me I've broken lots of things on the car already and know areas we'd all like to improve if possible. With over 40 track days in the car, I've got a couple questions ;D
Engineers share any valuable info (especially regarding overheating and shifting issues on track)?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel