The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5 Liter V8's - Who needs them? Not enough people, apparently...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank goodness the Mustang is the best selling Sports Coupe in the World, as pretty hard to get rid of this car model?!

We saw FCA ( first ) discontinue many automobile models , and Chevy and Ford have continued the trend , primarily due to consumer demand. Hard to fault any of them as the buyer is the one driving this market , but I figure things will turn around when fuel prices go on the rise - as this cycle repeats itself again.

I think this would apply 10 years ago but with crossovers (both big and small) now being mostly built off car chassies and better technology the fuel mileage gap is a lot tighter and most people are willing to give up that 10% difference in MPG for the extra utility they get. When Ford first stated they were ending car production I was like everyone else and very surprised and had a hard time comprehending the decision. Looking back on it now the margins are just not there and with people going to crossovers its money better spent in the long run for the company.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I don't like it either , but just like Minivans , I believe in years to come there will be a transition back to more cars. The sad part, to me, is that if we see another big run up in fuel prices ( stop and think about how many times this has occurred since the 70s ) Hyundai, Toyota, Kia, Mazda, Honda and others will be there for the taking and the big 3 will have to ramp up just like in the past -------history really does repeat itself!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I know the problem with the 5.0 is that folks see the 3.5 Turbo as a motor with more towing capacity.

Exactly! I'm going to be in the market for a new truck / SUV within the next year (waiting to see the new Bronco) and I was looking at options for the F150 just two nights ago. I had assumed the 5.0 was the motor to have for towing and was surprised to see it was the V6 EcoBoost.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I think this would apply 10 years ago but with crossovers (both big and small) now being mostly built off car chassies and better technology the fuel mileage gap is a lot tighter and most people are willing to give up that 10% difference in MPG for the extra utility they get. When Ford first stated they were ending car production I was like everyone else and very surprised and had a hard time comprehending the decision.
I'm still surprised Ford didn't consolidate - what was it, four sedan lines - down to one sized somewhere between the two most popular ones. Just to keep a toehold in the sedan market.

What I particularly dislike about Ford's move is that it amounts to them saying "you can have any kind of car you want so long as it's an SUV or a CUV". Hackett must be channeling Henry's ghost . . . ‘Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.’.

Norm

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I talked to a few car salesmen at Ford dealers just as Ford announced their move away from Sedans. They said the decision was sound since almost no one was buying sedans. After the announcement, sedan sales took off. Seems like a case of "I don't want it until I am told I cant have it". The public is funny that way.

Exactly! I'm going to be in the market for a new truck / SUV within the next year (waiting to see the new Bronco) and I was looking at options for the F150 just two nights ago. I had assumed the 5.0 was the motor to have for towing and was surprised to see it was the V6 EcoBoost.

I have had the ability to tow with both a 3.5 EB and 5.0 F150 and will say the 3.5 will flat out pull way better than the v8. The torque those engines create down low is almost diesel like (look at a dyno plot of a 3.5 vs 5.0) I ended up going with the V8 regardless on my F150 just becase I always seemed to get better MPG not towing with the coyote. The EB engines get into boost very quickly so trying to keep it out of boost (therefore getting better mpg) is more work than its worth. That and the EB sounds terrible lol

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since we have 23 acres of trucks in our dinky little town in Kneebrasky, I can confirm Tymes comments -- pretty much what we are experiencing with buyers. Alot of folks love the 5.0 , but it doesn't have the high towing capacity of the 3.5 , so the demand has dropped . We are in Farm Country and even though folks are getting their F150s loaded with options , many still do dual duty pulling trailers, etc. Truck folks actually look at the towing specs like the trackrats here look at performance data!

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
For towing its all about the torque baby. Problem with fuel mileage on a turbo is the torque, it is to temping to punch it!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I had a 2014 EB F-150 Platinum. Fantastic Cowboy Cadillac. Rode great, every gadget you could ask for. Loved almost everything about the truck....Except towing. When I had an open trailer, she was more than adequate. When I went to a 24' Enclosed trailer, I could not get over 5 MPG. She hardly ever made it to 6th gear. I understand the newer aluminum models are much better. I just could not stay with the EB in the 2014. That was the only vehicle I ever traded in which I owned for less than 7 years. Two and done for her. F-250 Crew Diesel is the way to go when pulling a larger trailer a lot of miles.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I agree the F250 with the diesel is a great tow rig, I have a 2018 F150 Crew with the 3.5, I'll will be burning some fuel if I ever tow with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors