The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

50th Anniversary GT verses BOSS 302 Which is more colectible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say neither the Boss or the 50th Anniversary model will really be "collectible", at least not in the sense that many are thinking. The reason those 1st gen bosses and Shelby's were collectible is because no one knew what they had at the time and the people that bought them drove the snot outta them. As such there are very few pristine examples left of them...so it's simple supply and demand. Everyone nowadays buys these bosses and Shelby's and thinks they have a future collectible on their hands. They end up hardly driving them or mothballing them. What do you think the market is going to look like in 30 years when there are loads of low mileage, pristine 2012/13 bosses and Shelby's on the market? Everyone has Barrett Jackson dreams, but reality is that our bosses will not bring the kind of dough that the originals do. Get a car because you love it and want to drive it. If you want a collectible, go out and get a 1969 or 70. If you want to have fun driving get a new boss or a new mustang. Just my .02.

MA
I think you are leaving out one major factor here, not only is it supply and demand, but nostalgia. The muscle car market was very much driven by baby boomers with plenty of disposable income who want to "relive" that era in their lives, either by buying a car they used to have or by being in a position to buy the car they couldn't afford when they were young. It's very possible 30 or 40 years from now that there will be a group that feels that way about these cars, but between speed at which technology changes, and finite supply of oil, and government regulation, it's impossible to know what that far into the future will look like.

All good points. The only thing the 50th has is that it will be the anniversary edition and the first production mustang with independent rear suspension which does make it a significant car. This would make it more desirable than a regular GT but it lacks the racing history at this point. I am not sure how much longer the BOSS 302 S/R can remain in top tear competition but I think as far as Contential Tire challenge they can only be run one year pass production. Being a baby boomer I remember the Mach 1 as I saw them but cannot remember ever seeing a BOSS 302 except at the track. Back then win on Sunday sell on Monday definite did occur especially at the drag strip which did trickle down to the street race seen.

93cobra said:
I think you are leaving out one major factor here, not only is it supply and demand, but nostalgia. The muscle car market was very much driven by baby boomers with plenty of disposable income who want to "relive" that era in their lives, either by buying a car they used to have or by being in a position to buy the car they couldn't afford when they were young. It's very possible 30 or 40 years from now that there will be a group that feels that way about these cars, but between speed at which technology changes, and finite supply of oil, and government regulation, it's impossible to know what that far into the future will look like.

I agree with this point also...which is why I don't believe the Boss will be a sought after collectible someday. Most youth, if they had $40-50k to spend on a car would buy a WRXsti or some type of fast and Furious drift racer. In 40 years, those guys will be looking for restored Subaru's and Skyline GTR's.

cbj5259 said:
I agree with this point also...which is why I don't believe the Boss will be a sought after collectible someday. Most youth, if they had $40-50k to spend on a car would buy a WRXsti or some type of fast and Furious drift racer. In 40 years, those guys will be looking for restored Subaru's and Skyline GTR's.

In 30 years I'll be looking for both! I've had a wrx and now have a BOSS. I've looked into a GT-R and also almost spring on an M3. There will, of course be factions, but I'm hopeful there is and will always be people who just love to collect all types of cars. There are quite a few on this site who came from WRX and M3 and I recall one that sold his BOSS for an M3.

That said, drive your BOSS. After all, barm finds are going for more than restored cars often times. If it's that hot a car in 30-40 years it'll be $ no matter what. Enjoy

Very nice looking car and as someone else said, I like the wheels. I was wondering how many of the old timers who remember the 65 & 66 cars that had the styled steel wheels on them. If you think about it I think they look like a modern version of those.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think one point is being sorely missed, as we go down the Nostalgia trail with the concept that Bosses are being purchased by those who remember the old days, and that young buyers will be ponying up to buy old GTRs and Honda S2000s ,etc. The point is quite simple, the Mustang buyer is still quite viable, many are in their 20s and 30s , and just like when I was a young pup I wanted certain models, the youth of today that buy Stangs lust after today's Boss 302s. The buyers have not left , they are still there, but as my generation wanted the 69,70, 71 Boss beasts, many today are in heat over acquiring a 12-13 Boss -- that is the future market. You have around 1500 Laguna Secas, and the balance are standard Bosses, but give it twenty years and there will be alot fewer on the roads -- especially considering how many are being tracked. We always view the heydays of the past as great, but there is absolutely no reason a 25 year old today will not view the exploits of Paul Brown in the World Challenge Series and Dean Martin , Billy Johnson, etc. with their exploits over the years in the Continental Tire Series with the same awe , pride and enthusiasm. Most of us feel the death of the muscle car or V8 will be around the corner in our lifetime, and that could easily escalate the desire for vehicles like the Boss. I am amazed at the events I go to , and the fact that at 62 I am the supposed age grouping of most the Boss owners out there, and in reality it seems everyone is in their 20s,30s, and 40s - at least at the track. The current Boss will be collectible , and the reasons are not completely tied to the originals since when someone young stops me now they are seldom aware of the history, they are just blown away by the new Boss 302! I have had over 100 personal cars and this high revving V8 easily ranks in the top 5 for eye appeal and stopping traffic. The big key is that our cars are viewed more as a distinct model run in limited quantities, not as a cosmetic special run of a limited edition . Sounds like semantics, but limited model as opposed to limited edition, I think always holds sway in the end run!?

I bought a Boss because I like the car and the driving experience it offers. I don't care if it's ever collectible. Even if became collectible I'll either be dead or will have forgotten I own it.

GottaBoss said:
I bought a Boss because I like the car and the driving experience it offers. I don't care if it's ever collectible. Even if became collectible I'll either be dead or will have forgotten I own it.

Agree...by the time this car may or may not be collectible I will be in my 80's or dead. I'll enjoy it now and let someone else worry about collecting it..

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
cbj5259 said:
Agree...by the time this car may or may not be collectible I will be in my 80's or dead. I'll enjoy it now and let someone else worry about collecting it..

Ditto. You don't buy a thoroughbred and keep him locked up in the barn.

TMO Supporting Vendors