The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5th Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
Go back through some of the GT500 threads on Team Shelby. It will be riddled with TR6060 TSB threads lol. It's not bullet proof by any stretch. Seems transmissions have been a bit of a bug on the special edition Mustangs. I got two clutches and a transmission on my '07 GT500 under TSBs. That said, my current Tremec is holding up very well with 50% more than the factory horsepower. My point is that the Tremecs have had their share of issues as well.

Transmissions have always been an issue for Ford, at least as far back as I can remember. At least they are cheap to rebuild.

ihatepotholess said:
my 1 to 2 shift always crunch when cold. after the trans warms up it shifts like butter.
Mine too even with the MGW and the fluid TSB. I really feel like there will be a improved kit, modification or what ever you want to call it after the warranty runs out on these. No money in it until then. Someone will make the MT 82 better. Until then I think a improved shifter with rear mount change and holding ford to making this right is our best reasonable option.

Well it appears the synchros for 5th gear are messed up so the transmission is being taken out and gone through. Should know more in the next few days.

jeepinocala said:
Make them put a new transmission in do not let them put that one back in.

That is always easier said than done, unless I physically watch them while they work on it. The place which is doing the work is respectable and I trust they will be ever so thorough making sure no future problems occur.

The more I drive my car, the more it seems like the clutch. I also have the 1-2-3-4 issues even after installing the MGW and fluid change. I say the clutch because it' seems like it's out of adjustment, even though there is no adjustment that I'm aware of. Clipping the gears depending on how high the rev's seems like a bad speed shift timing. I would love to hear the fix for this.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
racered302 said:
The more I drive my car, the more it seems like the clutch. I also have the 1-2-3-4 issues even after installing the MGW and fluid change. I say the clutch because it' seems like it's out of adjustment, even though there is no adjustment that I'm aware of. Clipping the gears depending on how high the rev's seems like a bad speed shift timing. I would love to hear the fix for this.
I think I know what you mean. mine tends to get stiffer and the pedal travel is less at high rpm and it stays that way till I "clear" it by pumping the pedal a few times then it gets soft again and returns to normal. feels like the slave cylinder is binding or something

I may not have all the facts but the 302S was suppose to have a MT-82 and that changed, why if this is a clutch issue? I am also under the impression that several racers tested the MT-82 in race cars and found it did not work, you would think if this is indeed the case they would have tried a clutch to fix problems.

There are two different problems being discussed on the boards, the lock-out and stay-out (I think it's called - when the clutch pedal stays down). The two are not related IMO, I have had both problems with my Boss. The clutch pedal problem was addressed by my dealer and Ford, I replaced the clutch under warranty and added a high flow clutch line. So far the problem has not returned but this fix had no effect on the 5th gear lock-out. I did not expect the fix to address the lock-out problem since it is the same type of clutch being used under the warranty.

If the problem was as cut and dry as adding a different type clutch I would think by now someone would have figured that out.

I have a third issue, the clutch goes down then only half way back up and pauses there for 1/2 second slipping before going up all the way. It is only when it is really hot, at the track. I have not had either of the other issues.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
I have a third issue, the clutch goes down then only half way back up and pauses there for 1/2 second slipping before going up all the way. It is only when it is really hot, at the track. I have not had either of the other issues.
similar to what mine does. does it more when it is over 80 out. I think its either the pressure plate or throw out bearing or both

Well I had the issue checked out and repaired by Ford this past week. Picked up the car yesterday and can say the problem is solved and it shifts so much better! To be honest, I believe the problem was there from the day I bought the vehicle because it is so much different than I remember.

Here is what the service receipt stated: "REMOVED MAN TRANS. MOUNTED TO BENCH VICE. DISASSEMBLED FOUND 5TH/6TH SYNCO AND CONES DAMAGED AND 5TH GEAR RING DAMAGED. REPLACED 5/6 SYNCO AND BLOCKERS. REASSEMBLED. REINSTALLED. TEST DROVE. SHIFTS FINE."

boss2511 said:
CaliMR said:
similar to what mine does. does it more when it is over 80 out. I think its either the pressure plate or throw out bearing or both

From discussing it with a couple guys who rebuild trannies, they seem to think it is the TOB getting hot. But none of them have worked on an MT82. They seemed to universally think it is not the slave cylinder, which was the initial idea the dealer had. Dealer could not replicate and so are not doing anything about it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Run the trans cooling scoop and change trans fluid every othe oil change or 4 track days. I have Redline MTL in there now but am going back to Ford Dual Clutch.
There are a million threads on trans fluid for this trans but the QDC fluid actually felt the best for me. The scoop is suggested by Ford engineers and supposedly keeps temps down 20-30 degrees. I am actually thinking about a Setrab cooler setup for the trans.
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
XT-11 QDC is the TSB fluid. I had the factory fill, then the dual clutch and now the redline. Haven't had any clutch hold out issues or shifting problems at speed but low speed shifts I get a little block out from 1-2 with the redline. Just ordered the QDC from autopartsexpress.com, $23 a quart list is $34 at Ford.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors