The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5th Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I currently have almost 8,000 miles on the car and I've noticed much more lately going from 4th to 5th is "grinding." If I transition slowly, I can place it into 5th with no "grind" (clutch depressed all the way in too) but if I am quickly going through the gears it is 5th which only "grinds."

What I have caught is I may be going over more to the right before going up into 5th. Is it possible I am catching the outside of the gate or gears? Is this something I should have looked at or is it more of a drivers error? Anyone having the same issue or suggestions?

Not exactly the same problem but sometimes when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd (in a hurry) I'll get 5th instead. No grind,but wrong gear. I think an upgrade to the MGW shifter might solve a lot of shifting troubles.

Is it actually the gears grinding or is it just crunchy going it? Mine grinds going in 1st but is crunchy pretty much any gear depending how and from what gear I am shifting.

CaliMR said:
Is it actually the gears grinding or is it just crunchy going it? Mine grinds going in 1st but is crunchy pretty much any gear depending how and from what gear I am shifting.

It seems like an actual grinding. I attempt to put the shifter into 5th and you can hear it/feel it in the shifter grinding. Many times you have to attempt it twice to get it in. However, if I ease it in there is little to no problem.

I had a buddy of mine drive it today and he too had the same problem, hearing/feeling the same as I have. May ask Cloud9 to take it for a spin next week and see what he thinks. It's only 5th gear, no other shift points.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
808Boss said:
Would changing your transmission fluid help? ie redline? That helped in my truck...

Depending upon build date, the trans may still have the older/thicker fluid. If so, Ford will likely change the fluid IAW their TSB.

Having the TSB performed along with the installation of a MGW shifter solved my shifting issues.

Something to check.

Good luck.

Bossfan said:
Does anyone know who makes this transmission? :-\ In the Camaro and Corvette I believe it is Tremac and I don't hear of any problems with THAT transmission. ::)

Ford is using a Getrag MT82 in the Mustang Gt and Boss's. The Shelby's have a Tremec TR6060 6 speed.

jmbboss302 said:
Bossfan said:
Does anyone know who makes this transmission? :-\ In the Camaro and Corvette I believe it is Tremac and I don't hear of any problems with THAT transmission. ::)

Ford is using a Getrag MT82 in the Mustang Gt and Boss's. The Shelby's have a Tremec TR6060 6 speed.
Thanks JMB. Interesting. I wonder now if the Shelby Tremac has problems like the MT82 altho, I suspect not. Is the Shelby shifting mech different as well (than the Boss's)? Maybe we should have a separate thread for comparing the two, swapping, etc.

The tremec is more stout, and has in various forms been used in various hi power cars. Not using it in the boss is mostly cost cutting. Maybe some efficiency gains but the cars are geared so low for a modern 6 spd anyways that I doubt that is a big issue (even with skip shift).

I believe the racing versions, the S and R, do not use the MT82 either

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 302 S comes stock with the GT500's TR6060. The 302R uses a beefed up version of the TR6060.

I am already thinking about swapping in the TR6060 from the GT500, Steeda and a few others already make swap kits. You're looking at around $4000-4500 to get this done, assuming you're doing the work yourself.

There is also a new TR6060 variant out from Tremec specifically for the S197, the T56 Magnum XL. This is the transmission Paul Brown ran in his 302S all last year; this is another option on the table and looks to run you about $5500-6K.

All of those figures are including other ancillary parts like driveshaft, clutch, crossmember, etc.

Go back through some of the GT500 threads on Team Shelby. It will be riddled with TR6060 TSB threads lol. It's not bullet proof by any stretch. Seems transmissions have been a bit of a bug on the special edition Mustangs. I got two clutches and a transmission on my '07 GT500 under TSBs. That said, my current Tremec is holding up very well with 50% more than the factory horsepower. My point is that the Tremecs have had their share of issues as well.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Go back through some of the GT500 threads on Team Shelby. It will be riddled with TR6060 TSB threads lol. It's not bullet proof by any stretch. Seems transmissions have been a bit of a bug on the special edition Mustangs. I got two clutches and a transmission on my '07 GT500 under TSBs. That said, my current Tremec is holding up very well with 50% more than the factory horsepower. My point is that the Tremecs have had their share of issues as well.

You brute ! ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:

I did read quite a few of those, including 1-2 grind threads....ugh

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

You brute ! ;D
Me? I'm mild mannered ;D

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:

I did read quite a few of those, including 1-2 grind threads....ugh
Most of this issues were related to the input shaft or clutch problems causing damage to the transmission versus the transmission itself failing.

BOSS1289 said:
Can you run a report by VIN for TSB's for your vehicle? Or is there a letter sent out or something?

There are several sites that list TSB's
http://www.mustangsdaily.com/blog/tag/tsb
http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Mustang/2012/
There are only two for the 12's but there are several that carry over from 11 like the LCA's
http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Mustang/2011/

TMO Supporting Vendors