The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

5W 20 on track GT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know a lot of people here run a Boss or GT350, for those who have a normal Coyote 5.0 and track it do you still run the FoMoCo recommended 5W 20? it seems kinda thin for track use, any thoughts? would it hurt my car to run thicker oil with current stock tolerances?

The Track Pack GT uses 5w50 just like the Boss, from what I have read here previously, and that engine is no different than a non-track pack. The cold weight is still 5 anyways.

sounds good, I just did a google search too, seems like that is the deal. Makes sense, 20 just seems so thin for such high/extended heat runs... but I'm not a chemist either. Thanks for your help.

The W in 5W is not weight. It stands for winter. The W in mutiviscosity oil is a rating that represents how well the oil will flows/performs when cold. The lower the number the easier it flows when cold. All oil thins out as it warms up. A 5W-50 and a 5W-20 are not the same Viscosity when cold, but they do perform similarly when cold.

Now, track pack and Boss 302 cars have calibrations that assume (Cam Phasers) 5w50 oil is being used. The cam phasers act differently depending on the Viscosity of the oil used.

It is correct that track pack and non track pack S197 have the same engines, but the calibrations are different.

You can use 5W50 in a non track pack car for xtra protection without fear of damage.

Using a different Viscosity than what the factory recommends is less than optimal for cam phaser operation/performance. I'm not saying it's going to cause damage, it's just not "optimal".

If it were me, I would run the absolute best 5W20 I could get for track use (assuming factory fill is 5W20).

By the way, NASCAR teams run 5W20 at 9K RPM and have been doing so for years now. Granted, these are not your typical off the shelf blends but most of them are avalible to the public. They run about $12 a quart, but these companies sell street blends that out perform most off the shelf options.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I ran my car with Amsoil Synthetic SS 5W20 and the FRPP Racing Oil Filter on a 13.9 mile track. No issues at all. Would I consider bumping it up, possibly for an added piece of mind. But just like Grant 302 said, give Ford a call. I'm calling them as well for a little more self education.

TMO Supporting Vendors