The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

6.8 liter Mustang engine in the works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Lots of possibilities, new 428 Cobra Jet, new Boss 429, first 427 SOHC for the street?
Would be odd for a new motor being they could drop the 7.3 Godzilla easily in displacement or bump the 6.2L SOHC up.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
With all the model variations they have done, Bullit, Boss, GT 350, GT500, Mach 1, etc, just seems like a 427, 428 or 429 would be the logical engines if Ford would have the balls to put a big engine in the car.

It seems like everybody can't get enough HP these days....How far do you want to go????....800..900...what are you going to do with that much power????....My Boss with 444HP gives me plenty to get in trouble with and if the Jones's want to better that ,so be it....................................The new electric cars coming out will leave all of us in the dust....without that magical sounding exhaust note...sad to say...............
....that Bullitt sounds almost as good as my Boss.....;)

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
It seems like everybody can't get enough HP these days....How far do you want to go????....800..900...what are you going to do with that much power????....My Boss with 444HP gives me plenty to get in trouble with and if the Jones's want to better that ,so be it....................................The new electric cars coming out will leave all of us in the dust....without that magical sounding exhaust note...sad to say...............
....that Bullitt sounds almost as good as my Boss.....;)
I agree, the 444hp is very impressive, one of the reasons I chose this car and haven't added boost. I am just thinking out load. If I was asked what Ford should build for the next special Mustang, my suggestions are 428 Cobra Jet, Boss 429, Mustang GT w/427 SOHC or lastly give me a Boss 351. The first three would be easy as far as engines go, just don't use the 5.4 Mod for the Boss 351. Any of these would sell like crazy.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like your thought process, XR7, especially the Boss 429 idea! Dodge has the 6.4 and 6.2 Hemis, why not have a Big Block Blue Oval , as there definitely are buyers out there for that kind of beast.

TMO Supporting Vendors