The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

6060 swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I believe shorter and the way I understand it the yokes are different and would need to be replaced as well. Best bet would be to contact someone like Rehagen that has done the swaps on the 302S. Unfortunately it gets a lot more involved than just a trans/clutch swap.

Sesshomurai

thebull said:
Is it worth it? I can get everything for about 3500. Trans, new spec clutch, and mgw shifter.

Check out the magnum xl trans conversion package. JPC sells the kit. Drops right in.

I think I'll stick with what I have for now. These deals come up all the time. The 4 and 5 gear lock out stinks at the track and could be dangerous in a passing situation.

Sesshomurai

thebull said:
I think I'll stick with what I have for now. These deals come up all the time. The 4 and 5 gear lock out stinks at the track and could be dangerous in a passing situation.

Yeah. Agree. In addition to the trans swap, which is on my agenda before i race competitively, picking a strong yet smooth clutch is key.

I've changed the brake fluid but not the trans fluid.

I have an MGW shifter....The weirdest thing is it works perfect before turn 6 and locks out the next turn and the turn after that.

Sesshomurai

thebull said:
I've changed the brake fluid but not the trans fluid.

I have an MGW shifter....The weirdest thing is it works perfect before turn 6 and locks out the next turn and the turn after that.

Opinions will vary but mine is this is caused by torque deflection of the semi-remote shifter design. It can be lessened with the double bolt bracket among other things.. A direct shift trans like the magnum xl doesnt have this problem.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
darreng505 said:
Opinions will vary but mine is this is caused by torque deflection of the semi-remote shifter design. It can be lessened with the double bolt bracket among other things.. A direct shift trans like the magnum xl doesnt have this problem.

What exactly is this part, please?

darreng505 said:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-2post-shifter-bracket-1113.html

Darren - The two post shifter bracket appears to make a lot sense for relatively few dollars. Have you installed this and did it reduce shifting problems? Has anyone else tried this part?

LS110 said:
Darren - The two post shifter bracket appears to make a lot sense for relatively few dollars. Have you installed this and did it reduce shifting problems? Has anyone else tried this part?
I still think the biggest improvement from the MGW in reducing missed shifts is the shifter bracket design. I haven't been that thrilled with the MGW but I'm finally coming around to it. It was tight the first few hundred and I missed more shifts than ever before. I now have a couple of thousand miles and 4 track days on it and it's finally loosened up enough that I now like it a lot and will keep it permanently. With the option of a softer bracket bushing for the MGW I now give it two thumbs up. The MGW didn't solve my lock out problems on track and it hasn't for others either. But it will help. So if you're more budget conscious the Barton twin post bracket is the way to go but if you can swing it go straight to the MGW.

Sesshomurai

LS110 said:

I have it, but then I saw the new ford racing shifter based on the barton that comes with this bracket as well. So I ordered that and is on backorder until first week of February. If it doesn't come then, I will install the bracket I have alongside my Hurst short-throw shifter to try at VIR mid February. I don't expect it to fully solve the problem but if it lessens it, that will stave off replacing my trans for a while.

TMO Supporting Vendors