The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

686 to the west coast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
So I'm in negotiations to get my next set of orders in the navy. Right now I'm in talks to go to their post graduate school out in Monterey, CA. Little did I know where Monterey was and thus I now know that most of my 'education' won't happen there in Monterey but in nearby Salinas. This could be bad.... 20 mins to Laguna Seca? Talk about an awesome opportunity! Fingers crossed for me to be out there early next year.

I drove at Laguna Seca for the first time three weeks ago. It is awesome, see my sig. Good luck!

ufnavy06

The infamous corkscrew it looks like you're on there. I think it's actually closer to 15 mins away from the school. I can deal with class from 0800-1200 then an afternoon session on the track. I guess I should hope I can ride a bike to class so I can sell my MINI to fund the madness that will come.

Or buy the wife a new car....

Most of my family lives down there, if you live off base and are bringing your Boss then don't live in Seaside. The area is great, I have watched a lot of races there over the years but have not been on that track yet.

soon.jpg

ufnavy06

CaliMR said:
Most of my family lives down there, if you live off base and are bringing your Boss then don't live in Seaside. The area is great, I have watched a lot of races there over the years but have not been on that track yet.

soon.jpg

Are you kidding me? That close to the track where they developed this car and the thought of NOT taking the Boss would pop into your mind? I think you should be checked out to make sure you're still right in the head! :D

And any particular reason to avoid the area? I think my wife and I are crossing our fingers for on-base housing as it's similar to what we have now and I think we'd like to keep our house in Fl.

ufnavy06

Well I got the verbal word that unless something drastic happens within the next 4 months, I'm heading to Monterey. Very excited about this and living in an absolutely beautiful area. Gotta figure out how to get all of the cars over there though. :D

ufnavy06 said:
Well I got the verbal word that unless something drastic happens within the next 4 months, I'm heading to Monterey. Very excited about this and living in an absolutely beautiful area. Gotta figure out how to get all of the cars over there though. :D

You should be excited...lots of diversity in respect for "stuff to do"...next door to the mighty Pacific, the Sierra Nevadas a few short hours away, SF Bay Area for all the sports, Sharks, Giants, 49'ers, A's, Raiders, Warriors...and of course, two great tracks, Laguna Seca at your door step, and then only two hours north is Sears Point...if you can't find fun here, then we can't help you...

I'm up in Hollister, so we'd be neighbors.

Congrats,
Tom

ufnavy06

Well I have my orders in hand. I'll be out there sometime in mid-March. Now the decision to keep my MINI JCW or sell it. Boss is getting shipped.

ufnavy06

Don't you guys worry. You'll hear about my first experience out at LS. Sadly, I'd love to take my JCW out on LS as well but I just don't see it happening.

I was there in June with the Shelby club. That is at the top of my list for favorite track and I live only 3 hours from VIR. You will love the place.

ufnavy06

CaliMR said:
Minis are fun. One of the local instructors has an early S with some mods, and I always try to bum a ride along with him.

Further complicating my MINI JCW issue is the fact it's 1 of 100 like it in the world. So it's actually more rare than my Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors