The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 #761 TrackMach1 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I loved the Magnaride with the stock springs and I would probably not make any more changes after Mr. Johnson's tune........but then I drive over every curb imaginable and I thought the factory recovery with a HP Mach 1 was great.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
I loved the Magnaride with the stock springs and I would probably not make any more changes after Mr. Johnson's tune........but then I drive over every curb imaginable and I thought the factory recovery with a HP Mach 1 was great.

I see you're running the BMR 250/980 springs. I have the same springs and they still feel too soft without aero. How are they holding up with aero? Does your splitter take a beating?
(Also, did you have to retro fit the Verus GT350 splitter to fit on your Mach?)
Also the splitter is still not as low as I need it, so no, it hasn’t taken a beating. Plus @flyhalf sent me some awesome splitter protection widgets, which I’m using on the front corners.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Getting the OP Mustang hubs/studs is a convenient and smart way to go in my estimation. The ability to rotate all around is so much more efficient for tire life, just remember to do it often --- at least once per track day. Little secret is to do it before leaving on the second track day as many forget and then they hit the next track day with everything in the same spot. A little track journal is really the best way to keep current.
I go with the paint marker pen on the tires method. I’m running various sets of @Apex Wheels and tires, so I’ve been swapping them around like crazy. Trying out Pirelli DHF, Michelin SM8/9. Then I’ve got a wet set of Michelins, and finally a set of SC3r on 19” wheels. Needless to say the 19” wheels have not been on the car for a while. Once I went 18” and slicks, there’s no going back 😬

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Here’s a couple of laps at ECR last month. Both in the 2.06 range. Hitting traffic and cold/green track, so should easy knock some time off that. I’ll be back there 2-3 March with CHIN to see what I can do.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the response.
Honestly, I think we are just messing around on these aftermarket springs until we go to coilovers. I haven’t made the jump yet, since I’m still undecided if the car is going to continue its development versus buying an actual built track/race car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Honestly, I think we are just messing around on these aftermarket springs until we go to coilovers. I haven’t made the jump yet, since I’m still undecided if the car is going to continue its development versus buying an actual built track/race car.
I hear ya.
I want to add aero to my car but I need coilovers first but I'm also thinking that $3-4k for coilovers would be better spent on actual racing school. Driver mod > suspension

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Second the racing school and where you are located I would look into the Ron Fellows school over in Pahrump, NV. The best track ever was when Ford was at Miller ( Utah Motorsports Campus ) but now the options and track safety are really good there in Pahrump.

TMO Supporting Vendors