The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 #761 TrackMach1 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Started off as a street car for some fun on grocery runs"..................I had to laugh when I read this....My Boss has never seen a track........A few yrs ago I was parked at a Grocery store and a guy came up and talked about my Boss and asked "why do you drive this car here????........I replied....Because I love driving it ANYWHERE..........I don't think he got where I was coming from......few do................................I love a manual, speed, the sound and the experience of it all.......I don't have to be on a track to get that............AMEN

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
"Started off as a street car for some fun on grocery runs"..................I had to laugh when I read this....My Boss has never seen a track........A few yrs ago I was parked at a Grocery store and a guy came up and talked about my Boss and asked "why do you drive this car here????........I replied....Because I love driving it ANYWHERE..........I don't think he got where I was coming from......few do................................I love a manual, speed, the sound and the experience of it all.......I don't have to be on a track to get that............AMEN
Any excuse to take a fun car out for spin!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Next you will be calling turned at SPL to load up on suspension parts…..you wont regert it
No doubt, suspension seems to be the next best step.

For now I'm headed out to look at a coupe of trailers tomorrow, and have some GT4 side hood louvers sitting in the garage. Procrastinating about cutting the hood a little :D

No doubt, suspension seems to be the next best step.

For now I'm headed out to look at a coupe of trailers tomorrow, and have some GT4 side hood louvers sitting in the garage. Procrastinating about cutting the hood a little :D
I will gladly take them off your hands if they are the kohr//multimatic ones

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Thanks guys. Side entry was a must after experiencing the joys of climbing through the window in a regular enclosed trailer.

Glad I went with the enclosed too. I had looked at open lowering trailers a la Futura or Timpte, but after my last trip to COTA, it was nice to arrive with a clean car, along with being able to leave the car in the trailer overnight at the paddock was such a bonus.

I do need to get a battery wired up for the interior and exterior loading lights, since they only run off the truck right now, and some sort of wheel rack is required to hold my spare wheel sets.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
So my plan for this build thread is to add various mods I have made to the car since I bought it in October 2021, and in no particular order here's the first one:

I couldn't get as much camber adjustment as I wanted out of the stock setup, one of the first jobs was opening up the strut tower mounts using the Steeda tool and getting Vorshlag camber plates installed. I think this was back in March of '22. I had tracked the car a couple of times before I did this, and I shredded the first set of SuperCar 3 tires I put on the car! The first time I took the car out on track with the new alignment was like a revelation, both in terms of tire wear and grip on track.

Here's the plates installed and holes cut. Texas Track Works in Fort Worth did the work for me.

1D23AFBC-6495-4562-B3CF-DE11911E6933.JPG

I also added some rubber Orings for a clean looking install.

tempImager28r71.png

And here's the current alignment settings for the car. Dusold Designs in Lewisville managed to get me a little more camber adjustment just recently. At some point the subframe had shifted over, so I had them put in some Steeda IRS bushings. I didn't get too crazy and order the whole subframe kit, since I was pushed for time on the Thursday before a COTA weekend in December. I will probably revisit the subframe supports at some point.

tempImageBKFDcK.png

More updates to come!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I see you're running the BMR 250/980 springs. I have the same springs and they still feel too soft without aero. How are they holding up with aero? Does your splitter take a beating?
(Also, did you have to retro fit the Verus GT350 splitter to fit on your Mach?)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Getting the OP Mustang hubs/studs is a convenient and smart way to go in my estimation. The ability to rotate all around is so much more efficient for tire life, just remember to do it often --- at least once per track day. Little secret is to do it before leaving on the second track day as many forget and then they hit the next track day with everything in the same spot. A little track journal is really the best way to keep current.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
Hey, yeah they are still a little soft. Front on corner turn in is a little vague, but that could be something some sway bar adjustment might help. Running medium setting front and rear on the BMR bars.

Rear spring feel isn’t so bad though, I’ve only got 2 days testing on this setup. So it’s still a work in progress.

I’m running the DSC tune on the magnaride shocks, so that helps firm the car up.

The Verus splitter is ALOT of work to make fit to the Mach 1. I wouldn’t recommend it, and it’s still not perfect. I had to cut the belly pan and oem splitters pretty heavily, also had to modify their mounts.

I’ve seen someone fit it to a GT. The video of that is on the Verus site. That guy had to do some cutting etc to fit it to his car.

I’m developing another splitter and mounts for my car. I bought some mounts from @flyhalf from his speedItalia instagram page. I’m going to try and use those., or modify them to work on the Mach 1.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
DFW
I see you're running the BMR 250/980 springs. I have the same springs and they still feel too soft without aero. How are they holding up with aero? Does your splitter take a beating?
(Also, did you have to retro fit the Verus GT350 splitter to fit on your Mach?)
Hey, yeah they are still a little soft. Front on corner turn in is a little vague, but that could be something some sway bar adjustment might help. Running medium setting front and rear on the BMR bars.

Rear spring feel isn’t so bad though, I’ve only got 2 days testing on this setup. So it’s still a work in progress.

I’m running the Billy Johnson GT500 DSC tune on the magnaride shocks, so that helps firm the car up.

The Verus splitter is ALOT of work to make fit to the Mach 1. I wouldn’t recommend it, and it’s still not perfect. I had to cut the belly pan and oem splitters pretty heavily, also had to modify their mounts.

I’ve seen someone fit it to a GT. The video of that is on the Verus site. That guy had to do some cutting etc to fit it to his car.

I’m developing another splitter and mounts for my car. I bought some mounts from @flyhalf from his speedItalia instagram page. I’m going to try and use those, or modify them to work on the Mach 1.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors