The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

7th Gen Mustang Reveal September 14th.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Overall I like the new car but there just isn't anything majorly new over the S550. It's a mildly improved S550 at best.
I like in the reveal when they said "the Dark Horse is the GT turned to 11." ........if the GT is turned to 5, the Dark Horse is turned to 6, maybe 7.
I was hoping they would make a GT3RS version with loads of aero and completely track focused. I suppose that model could still come later.

This was their chance to add tons of aluminum to the car and bring the weight down and it weighs exactly the same. Shame.
At this point, I'm only excited about the S, R, and GT3 models.
The major issue for most any of us on here is the GT3 in any variant, and the GT4 are largely unobtanium. In both cost and availability. They’re really cool to see and watch, but I want something I can own and drive. The S550 has proven to be a hell of a track car with the GT350 and Mach 1 packages, so any improvement over that will be impressive. The Dark Horse S is what all of us spend years doing to a production chassis. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be priced around $100-125k, which is basically current GT500 pricing. For me, I would take the S all day long.

The major issue for most any of us on here is the GT3 in any variant, and the GT4 are largely unobtanium. In both cost and availability. They’re really cool to see and watch, but I want something I can own and drive. The S550 has proven to be a hell of a track car with the GT350 and Mach 1 packages, so any improvement over that will be impressive. The Dark Horse S is what all of us spend years doing to a production chassis. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be priced around $100-125k, which is basically current GT500 pricing. For me, I would take the S all day long.
Agreed, and I'm not sure that ford is looking to offer the GT3 to anyone outside the official Ford programs. The GT4 may be more readily available, but the Dark Horse S and Dark Horse R are going to be the volume movers for Ford Racing. I'm still curious to see if these offerings change as they progress down the line or if they are going to commit to the Dark Horse S and R models for the model run and just make evolutions to them over the years.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Stats are impressive for sure and some real goodness going on with the racecars. Not sure about the look...but that's all subjective anyways. Reserving judgment until I can see them in person.

I agree on all counts. My experience this year with the Boss 302S has completely sold me on factory track cars. Building a track car is a lot of fun, but the factory racers are so dialed in.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I guess my dreams of a street-legal, 3400 lb, double wishbone suspension, dry sump mustang will have to stay a dream 😆

If my bank account allowed, the Dark Horse S would be the one I buy as well.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think the locked PCM might help with a couple of items;
1. Possibly allow Ford to back the motor a bit, since it is dialed in and they could monitor illegal changes
2. Keep SCCA, NASA, IMSA from moving it around too much knowing it has a factory lock on performance.
3. Actually afford a balance of power within the entire model build.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I guess my dreams of a street-legal, 3400 lb, double wishbone suspension, dry sump mustang will have to stay a dream 😆

If my bank account allowed, the Dark Horse S would be the one I buy as well.
The car looks fine, but, same here, cut the weight, ditch the McStruts up front and while your at it toss that dash display in the trash can. So it can "look" like a Fox Mustang display, who cares. I'll take an open spot on the dash where I can install some real gages that give me real info.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The dash is so horrid I would have a hard time buying the car for that alone! It looks like a bland Tesla interior redone by a 5 year old that wanted more lights. A car's design does not stop with the outside, and though I think the new Mustang is quite stupendous, the interior is simply horrendous. I agree with xr7, the dash belongs in the refuse pile, and that is what I will do when it comes to a purchase -- refuse the refuse bound dash.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The dash is so horrid I would have a hard time buying the car for that alone! It looks like a bland Tesla interior redone by a 5 year old that wanted more lights. A car's design does not stop with the outside, and though I think the new Mustang is quite stupendous, the interior is simply horrendous. I agree with xr7, the dash belongs in the refuse pile, and that is what I will do when it comes to a purchase -- refuse the refuse bound dash.
Those might be the strongest words I've read from you Bill. I agree.

Frankly, the exterior reminds me of the Camaro. Might be design constraints due to safety, but not sure I'm a fan. Still trying to reserve my judgment until I see it in person. I should say I haven't been an immediate fan of any Mustang, except the GT350, since the 1st generation S197 though.

Ford needs to send me a Dark Horse so I can field test the integrity of the new dash with impact testing! Give me an hour and not being able to figure it out and I'll probably hit it a few times....

Wonder if the is a race/track mode gauge display. If not here's what needed to happen. The option to select and gauges that you want - oil pressure, diff temp, water temp, tire alert, brake fluid temp whatever.... Then have the option to set the normal range needle at 12 o'clock for quick viewing in a gauge sweep. Even better be able to set individual % parameters on each gauge, 2 for each, for out of normal range. Maybe light up orange for a lower % = getting there and red for awe sh*t. Also a double shift light display similar to what @Fabman has - getting there and awe sh*t. They have the technology. Now, they need to use it for a useful function.... I'm going to send this to Ford. I'm sure the could do a software update at least for some stuff. Notice I did not mention a speedo gauge - leave that for the street or make the race/track display a street mode option with the speedo.

Last edited:
I have more. Full integration of apps like track addict and connectivity of cameras and microphone/s. Or Fords own proprietary track app for all the tracks in the world. Obviously built in GPS. Ability to wireless transfer full data logging to a phone or laptop. Ability to enter tire size data with tread left for the GPS and sensors to estimate slip angle. I'm sure there is more..

Edit: Ford's own video editing website and app with the option to post videos.

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hey now, no spoilers for the 2027 refresh ;)
😄 right!?!?! It's going to take on an aggressive Accord look with the refresh.

The looks are fine. I'll get over the parts I don't care for. But I agree with the others on the weight. I do love the fact that they're offering the track focused options. That is cool.

TMO Supporting Vendors