The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

7th Gen Mustang Reveal September 14th.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm curious as to the price and level of preparation difference of the S, R and GT4. I'm expecting the S to be somewhat like the the FP350S, maybe a little less prepped for around $120-125k. Like stock pedal box, tuned ABS, stock trans, basically a bolted (or watson style welded) cage, adjustable susp, big brakes, cooling and a race prepped interior. You guys agree? The FP350S used the same chassis prep as the GT4, maybe less prep would allow them to reduce the price even more...

But where does that put the GT4 and R then? $240k for the Gt4 and the R would be midway? How would it be different from the GT4? Both would use the same chassis/cage... Maybe sequential trans would differentiate the 2? Any ideas?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I'm curious as to the price and level of preparation difference of the S, R and GT4. I'm expecting the S to be somewhat like the the FP350S, maybe a little less prepped for around $120-125k. Like stock pedal box, tuned ABS, stock trans, basically a bolted (or watson style welded) cage, adjustable susp, big brakes, cooling and a race prepped interior. You guys agree? The FP350S used the same chassis prep as the GT4, maybe less prep would allow them to reduce the price even more...

But where does that put the GT4 and R then? $240k for the Gt4 and the R would be midway? How would it be different from the GT4? Both would use the same chassis/cage... Maybe sequential trans would differentiate the 2? Any ideas?
The specific differences between the S and R in the press release were a serialized # for race series, fuel cell, strategic seam-welding and Ford Performance wheels.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Given the S650 looks like a refresh - Are fenders / bumpers etc going to fit S550's? Because I'm liking those front fenders and the lines look like ours.
I seriously doubt they'd bolt right up. But I'm sure we're going to see some aftermarket options that look just like them become available for the S550.

While there are incremental improvements, I'm selfishly kind of pleased that the S650 isn't a massive step forward in terms of performance or looks (IMO). I was kinda worried when it was releases I was going to look at my car differently, pining away for an S650. Maybe with time this will change, but when I consider the cost of my S550, how well it performs, and how great it looks (to me) I'm still really happy! I figure I have a car that looks better to me, with say 90-95% of the performance than an S650 GT, and for a lot cheaper. Good, Fast, and Cheap! How often do you get all three?!

Once you've had the car long enough, the pining for the newest thing fades away. It pops up every once in a while but doesn't last long. Ask me how I know.
I have only had mine for literally 2 years and just learning what it can do. Almost 500 hp - check, big brakes - check, sticky wide tires and wheels- check , mega camber ( at least in the front), ford racing springs, after market shock/struts, less weight and more..... for probably less than 1/2 for a new s650. I have absolutely no reason to even think about something new. All those bells and whistles are cool and might make it "easier" in some ways to track but is not going to improve a driver's true capabilities... I would rather learn on an S197 and have to work hard refining my skills.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The Aussie Supercars Series is going to unveil the new Gen 3 Mustang Supercar on a YouTube live stream tonight. Starts at 6pm PST. Here’s the link:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel