The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

8.8 vs 9 inch? How to laterally locate it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Hi all,
My 2012 GT is about to enter a new stage of my ownership. Graduating from daily driver status to weekend warrior. And 160k miles of less than gentle driving has caught up with me. The rear end needs to be rebuilt. That said I hate to do anything twice and the car will be getting built to be an all motor or procharged setup so would like to upgrade the rear end to suit.

That said which would be superior for a car that will see weekend canyon carving and track time. An 8.8 or 9 inch rear end? Either way I intend to go with a torque arm setup. And to laterally locate the rear end would a wishbone or watts link be more favorable?

TIA for any insight

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I would go with the 9" diff, tons of parts available and a diff that is easy to set up. Easy to swap in a different gear, build 2 or 3 center sections and you are ready to go.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
I would go with the 9" diff, tons of parts available and a diff that is easy to set up. Easy to swap in a different gear, build 2 or 3 center sections and you are ready to go.
I like the idea of a 9 inch as well especially with the aftermarket availability of brake kits etc...

I'm having trouble finding a watts link compatible with the s197 and a 9 inch. Any suggestions? Or should I go wishbone?

I like the idea of a 9 inch as well especially with the aftermarket availability of brake kits etc...

I'm having trouble finding a watts link compatible with the s197 and a 9 inch. Any suggestions? Or should I go wishbone?
Good idea on the 9 inch
Bad idea on the watts.

Why don't you just fab up the 9inch to fit the 8.8 suspension points and call it a day?

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Good idea on the 9 inch
Bad idea on the watts.

Why don't you just fab up the 9inch to fit the 8.8 suspension points and call it a day?
Yes. A s197 has a three link suspension. Two lower and one upper control arm with a panhard bar for lateral location. I'm converting it to a torque arm three link but still need a way to locate the rear end laterally.

Instead of that, why wouldn't you invest in a cambered diff or a set of penske coil overs?
Again, the S197 rear suspension on the Boss 302s is the high water mark for stick axles, install some decent FP trailing arms, and you can even use the stock center link, there's nothing to fix there.
With regards to the torque arm, everyone is well aware of my opinion on the watts, just use a panhard bar and keep it simple.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
8.8 is a proven stout efficient axle, the modern “9inch”. Why all the recommendations to move away from it to a 9”? I’d refresh the 8.8 and keep the 3 link over going 9” with a torque arm. Put the money in floating hubs to eliminate the axle flange flex.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel