The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody 89STANG Build Thread Profile - Fox Body Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Got all the hard lines routed, flared and loosely installed. Need to split the front line for the change to a 2 port master. I'm happy with the prop valve lines. I'm pretty certain I ran them in a way the dash can be removed without messing with them.

20240107_121202.jpg

20240107_150542.jpg

20240107_150707.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
Looks like it should work.

I'm thinking of adding a deflector on the k member and having the air hose channel air into it and onto the rotor. Newer mustangs use this method.
Doing a track night at Pocono in April and going to check brake temps with just the hose for now. Couple of long straights and should be a good test.
Did you have problem getting your wheels to fit larger hubs? I had center bore on wheels enlarged to fit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Looks like it should work.

I'm thinking of adding a deflector on the k member and having the air hose channel air into it and onto the rotor. Newer mustangs use this method.
Doing a track night at Pocono in April and going to check brake temps with just the hose for now. Couple of long straights and should be a good test.
Did you have problem getting your wheels to fit larger hubs? I had center bore on wheels enlarged to fit

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
After looking at the hubs and my wheels, my machinist, my old race teammate and I decided that my aftermarket wheels may be compromised by enlarging the hub centers. My wheels are 20+ years old and are very thick aluminum, which I thought would be good because there was plenty to remove. But they felt they were probably thick for strength because they were poorly engineered. So, after all I was hoping for, we machined the hubs down to the factory size instead. Hence is a racecar project.

I've looked at those deflectors and they obviously work. But I want absolute max cooling. I've had such issues with brakes breaking, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'd rather have to tape off some of the cooling inlet if my brakes temps aren't getting hot enough for the pads to work properly.

The good news is I have driven the car about 20 miles so far and there are no odd noises, everything works. I'm very happy with the outcome. Now I just have to do some final tweaks and wait for my actual pads to come in and get the car final setup.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pennsylvania
After looking at the hubs and my wheels, my machinist, my old race teammate and I decided that my aftermarket wheels may be compromised by enlarging the hub centers. My wheels are 20+ years old and are very thick aluminum, which I thought would be good because there was plenty to remove. But they felt they were probably thick for strength because they were poorly engineered. So, after all I was hoping for, we machined the hubs down to the factory size instead. Hence is a racecar project.

I've looked at those deflectors and they obviously work. But I want absolute max cooling. I've had such issues with brakes breaking, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'd rather have to tape off some of the cooling inlet if my brakes temps aren't getting hot enough for the pads to work properly.

The good news is I have driven the car about 20 miles so far and there are no odd noises, everything works. I'm very happy with the outcome. Now I just have to do some final tweaks and wait for my actual pads to come in and get the car final setup.
Makes sense. My wheels are only a year old.

Thought about having the hubs turned down but concerned that would defeat purpose of larger hubs with larger bearings. I also bought slotted rotors and they seem to be helping. Ran cool when I adjusted proportioning valve yesterday. Wish foxbody brakes had made us aware of this before we bought the larger hubs. Seems to defeat the purpose.

I plan on keeping a close eye on them as the season progresses. Doing an autox TnT next week and thing should be a good low speed stress test.

Your fabrication looks awesome.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel