The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

91 vs 93 Octane Gray Key vs Track Key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there any advantage of increasing the octane from 91 to 93 when using the Track Key?

Here in SF Bay Area most gas stations have 91 which is what I filled up with. I have a local 76 station that has 100 octane race fuel at the pump. It's pricey for sure. I've seen Octane Calculators that can calculate mixing 91 octane with 100 to get 93 or higher.

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/OctaneCalculator.html

My question is . . . is it worth it? Does the PCM take advantage of the higher octane? Or would I just be spending more money on a tank of gas?

No pinging currently on ether key,

Thanks in advance . . .

None, it won't matter driving it on the street. Maybe a little splash at the track for some extra anti knock protection.

We're fortunate to have 93 in Florida but I do still get a slight knock on hard acceleration with the track key until the knock sensors kick in. I did toy with 100 octane race fuel but decided against it in the end.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just wait til winter blend is back in the CA pumps...and wait for a warm day.

I normally run about 20-25% 100 octane from the pump at 76. ~4 gal. per tank. If I don't have that in the tank, I only use the silver key.

If in doubt about your ability to hear slight knock or light ping, have your TracKey tune set the Spark Adjust to 'Y'.

Thanks for all the replies . . . good to know that for the silver key 91 is just fine.

So this weekend was the first time I ran with the Track Key. Still had 1/2 tank of 91. I didn't notice any pinging but man what a difference in the driving experience. The exhaust, the engine braking, acceleration, all seemed to be way more sensitive to the slightest twitch of the go pedal. The lopey idle was not as lopey as I thought it would be though. Still what a blast. For those in the SF Bay Area it was a trip up 84 to Alice's for Breakfast then down 35 for the twisty run. Too much fun.

My car came with a SCT Tuner from previous owner with a AED tune from Shaun at AED. I contacted Shaun at AED and he mentioned bringing the car in and or data logging to upgrade the stock tune in the Tuner. Not sure I need more than the stock tune but good to know AED is fairly close if I want to pay them a visit (2.5 hours away).

Interestingly after my canyon drive the car didn't seem all that hot this run.

According to the owners manual, 87 is ok for use with the silver key. I rarely use the silver key and have never put anything less than 90 in my Boss. The manual also says 91 minimum with TracKey. When I had my TracKey installed I told the technician that in Alaska where I live the highest octane gas is 90. Most other states offer 91 or higher. He said not to worry as there is a setting for lower octane when programming and that he always selects that setting anyway. He had done many installs by then. He said I would be fine with 90. He used to work for Ford Racing and checked out all of this with his buddies at Ford Racing, so I went with his advice (just to double check, I also called Ford Racing and they concurred with his advice).

I have used 90 octane for 8k miles without a single ping and she runs great.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
With the track key you will get real benefit with higher octane . Do a search on this http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html
my car saw plus 10 hp at the rear wheels with this and the track key.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Domestic Product said:
With the track key you will get real benefit with higher octane . Do a search on this http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html
my car saw plus 10 hp at the rear wheels with this and the track key.

Per Shaun at AED Torco is a bad thing for our engines!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel