The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A dissapointly slow Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to say...you guys are a riot! I never imagined a simple story would generate so much conversation! Fun.

So here is the rest of the story and by the way, thanks to each of you for your support and comments.

After resetting the computer and getting it out of transport mode, (early in the am) I only have time to drive the 4 miles round trip to the dealer and back so they can see the crushed resonator. Then I have to head out for an early morning flight. So I suggest to my Mechanical Engineer wife that she should drive the car. She resists. I insist. She agrees with reservation.

When I land later that morning, there is a text from her on my phone.

My cute wife has this special term, one of her favorites; to describe both good and bad things of significance or frustration. Remember, to this point I have not had her in the car with it out of transport mode so she has no idea what she is about to step into when she agrees to drive the car.

So I left her on her own with my only instructions being how to get her into reverse.

Anyway, the text is simple: F.M.T.T.! Which means ***K ME TO TEARS! She drives a Bimmer everyday so she is no stranger to a quality ride. When I called her laughing about her text she said: "I don't think you are going to get the Boss back. It's mine now!

Obviously her education as an M.E. helps her understand the level of sophistication the Boss offers! She is hooked. ;D

MakeMyDay said:
BBaker,

I read somewhere that transport mode stays active for 35 miles. Now, what I want to ask your mechanical engineer wife is if she finds the answer to putting the Jeannie back in the bottle could she please share this info with us?

Enjoy your beast and congrats - send pics.

MMD

I think it more like 5-7 miles.

Pete,

Funny you mentioned MY BOSS. Last night i asked her what color she wanted. She said she will take the SBY one we have. I'm not complaining. It could be worse!

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I had the same thing on mine. I was thinking this this is a dog, this can't be right. When I got off the freeway, mine just happened to be over the 50 miles and it took off like a rocket. My brother said his Ford GT and daughters Shelby GT500 were the same way.

I read the Mykey on the Ford website. You could put in a valet mode by buying another key and then going through the programming steps to limit radio volume, top speed and the inability to shut off traction control.

Here is the link: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29172

Brian

Thats a shame. You would think Fords computer systems would be a little more sophisticated. I guess since it is well documented the general public already knows how to defeat this :-[ Doing battery resets are a good way to fry sensitive electronics. Just a tech on the street observation, thats all :D
Mr Volvo Guy,

It is well documented (by Ford) that this feature can be disabled by disconnecting the battery then reconnect after 10 seconds. Ford also indicates that you then turn the key on (without starting) and then off. At this point it's off to the races! Now...please do not tell any transportation workers!

MMD
[/quote]

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
BossJockey said:
MakeMyDay said:
BBaker,

I read somewhere that transport mode stays active for 35 miles. Now, what I want to ask your mechanical engineer wife is if she finds the answer to putting the Jeannie back in the bottle could she please share this info with us?

Enjoy your beast and congrats - send pics.

MMD

I think it more like 5-7 miles.
No way. It is at least 35 miles.

MMD

OK we started down a BS thread but really this is what happened to me, no really. I test drove the Boss at a topvolume dealer that had four. Fell in stupid love and they shoved the DMU up my patuti. Found another dealer with three. Walked in droped a whopper check on the sales manager and said that one sticker now you have twenty minutes I know where there are more. He gave the keys to a salesman with a huge grin and said let the man drive the car. We turned right one block turned left and the salesman said please do not kill me. Just then a mature woman my age pulled up next to us in a drop top GOOO FASSST Benz. We droped the hammers and she walked away stoutly. I looked over at the salesman and said this $$&%*%(^$Y^$ is broken. Went back to the dealer and told him no thanks the#$^^*%%$^# is a slug. As I watch every single sales man, the sales manager, and the service manager gather together around the Boss. After maybe fifteen minutes a kid maybe twenty two states he can fix it. He takes the keys and drives away. I wait, I wait a little more than normal for me and here comes a police car, a Boss, and a police car.
the cops box the Boss in and ask for the sales manager. The lead cop looks at the kid and askes is he yours. Manager "yes". Cop " tell the kid no burn outs in front of the cop house, And never before my morning dounut". Everyone was head down and quiet, except me I started laughing so hard the cop and the sales manager had a quiet talk to let the cop know who I was. Cops left the salesman and I went for a ride. The salesman squeeled like a girl and it is now in my driveway..

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
My 'back woods' Ford dealer may or may not know about the specific instructions on how to disable the transport mode. At this point I think I will just keep quiet and see what happens when I show up and take delivery. I am reminding them too to NOT DRILL HOLES even though my state req. a front plate. Also asking that all plastic and factory materials remain intact until I can take pictures and document everything. I might however bring a wrench with me to disconnect the battery on my own when performing my own inspection. That way when I'm ready to go, I will know for sure it's good to go. =D

No, I'm not saving the car as an 'investment', just trying to add a little value way farther down the road should my family ever decide to sell it after I'm gone. I sure has heck don't plan on selling it!

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I live in a NO front license plate state and there are 2 small holes in the front bumper cover from the factory. Small and ready to accept a self threading screw to mount the license plate braket.

Brian

ace72ace

Yeah, I know the guide holes are there. Just don't want the dealer reaming them out w/big screws.

ace72ace said:
Yeah, I know the guide holes are there. Just don't want the dealer reaming them out w/big screws.
check some of the other threads but don't drill the holes. get one of Craig's plate holders.
best $60 dollars you'll ever spend. just google craigs custom mustang plate holder or surf this site

ace72ace

2012boss said:
ace72ace said:
check some of the other threads but don't drill the holes. get one of Craig's plate holders.
best $60 dollars you'll ever spend. just google craigs custom mustang plate holder or surf this site

Yup, all kinds of options for relocating the front plate. Still haven't decided which way I wanna go.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel