The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A dissapointly slow Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After waiting since my order on January 10, 2012, my SBY Boss arrived May 14. I arrived moments after it came off the hauler. Love the color. My sales guy let me drive across the parking lot for the Pre-delivery Inspection. We headed off the sign the papers.

Slipping behind the wheel and firing her up for the first time...all the shipping materials still in tact, is a wonderful feeling. I proceed to pull out onto the highway and it occurs to me, this thing feels really sluggish. The computer still has to "learn" i tell myself.

Red light, first gear, pedal down...not much happens. No growl and very little acceleration. Not good. Turn around head back to the dealer. Take the sales manager for a ride. He agrees. Not right. Check the dash for lights or codes. None shown. Try the Red Key he says. No change. He has no idea after that.

So i take her home for a bath, pictures of all the shipping labels and documentation and finally some pampering. I am somewhat deflated but with an appointment to take her back first thing in the am. Upon closer inspection, the drivers side exhaust resonator is 50% crushed. No doubt a result of the shippers. No problem. I have another 500 hp toy and know this problem would produce the level of poor performance i am experiencing. I cannot stand it any longer and have to start trouble shooting it myself.

I take the air inlet off to the throttle body, turn on the key and check to make sure the throttle blades open completely. They do. Now I am really worried but its late in the day and i have a flight to catch the next morning. Time to put her to bed.

My wife, a mechanical engineer that loves a challenge turns to her favorite research tool early the next morning. The net. Her findings indicate perhaps the car is in "transport mode". I learn while in the shower. "Never heard of it" i say "and i have been on the BossMustangsonline forum for hours and hours." But, i'll give the fix a try.

The instructions she read said to disconnect the negative battery terminal for10 seconds. Do not start the car but turn the key on and then off ." Then start as usual.

And with that, my Boss had arrived. What a monster!

Shame on the PDI technician at the dealer for not following the instructions and making all of us worry.

Now the real question: How to re-enable transport mode as a valet mode?

Welcome to BMO! As I started reading your post, the first thing that came into mind was "transport mode". Glad you figured it out and hope you enjoy your new toy!

cloud9 said:
Welcome to BMO! As I started reading your post, the first thing that came into mind was "transport mode". Glad you figured it out and hope you enjoy your new toy!

+1 Transport Mode for sure...........

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Same thing with mine. Is this function (Transport Mode) only specific to the Boss, hence the dealers are clueless (mine was allocated 2 in 2012, when I bought my LS the other non-LS was still on the floor)?

FYI - follow the break in procedure and see how it feels after bout 500 miles or so. It still has a little to ramp up, it gets better ! If you get TK then you're all set. Congrats !

I thought Transport Mode reading the title.

And about the crushed resonator, I think they are all like that. Here is one of Ford's pics, notice one looks crushed. I don't know why one is always like that.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5135/5470270380_e9a1b2f888_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6849545497_878db70f04_z.jpg

Jza1736 said:
I bet that took you less than 3 minutes ;D
LOL, actually it was kind of a funny story. I had to travel to Darlington, WI to find my GT500. They were MUCH harder to find back in the day than even the Boss was when they launched early last year. Darlington is a small town of about 2,000 people. The dealer principal actually put my wife and I up in his house because there are no hotels there! Well anyway, I took the GT500 out for its maiden voyage on the back highway that intersected the main highway by the dealership. I passed an Amish horse drawn carriage on the way out of town before the boost kicked in fortunately. On the return trip it "kicked in" and the party was on. As I'm drawing close to town I get stuck behind a Chevy Blazer going rather slow on a 2 lane and because of oncoming traffic I couldn't pass. Oh how lucky I was because behind this big billboard sat Roscoe P Coltrain! :eek: He must have set up right after I left the dealership because he wasn't there when I left.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
BBaker,

I read somewhere that transport mode stays active for 35 miles. Now, what I want to ask your mechanical engineer wife is if she finds the answer to putting the Jeannie back in the bottle could she please share this info with us?

Enjoy your beast and congrats - send pics.

MMD

I asked the dealer before they drove the boss out of the showroom if it was out of transportation mode and they said yes. I said my 2011 F150 ecoboost was in transportation mode when I test drove it and was slow.

Well as soon as I left the dealership I knew it was in transpot mode .I had to gas up as car was 0 miles to empty so full tank of 91 and onto the highway and car was dog. So turned around right away and back to dealership and they removed it. The salesman laughed told the tech a focus could take us..lol

Back on the road for the test drive and now it`s a beast. The salesman said "holy fawk" he couldn`t believe how much power the boss had and either could I, needless to say my camaro SS was traded after the test drive ;)

i am a volvo tech. all of our cars are delivered in "transport mode". this and other parameters (aka speed limiter) are only able to be reset through our diagnostic program called VIDA. if you could "battery reset" the car, then rail workers and truck drivers would be auto crossing your car at the shipping yard ;D

Cloud9, I have a sort of similar in that it is the opposite story. When I took the baffles out and had TK installed, I stopped to pick up my bro and proceeded to test the traction control in the off position. Cop somehow rolled up behind me, I didn't even see him, and I put on my best poker face as I slowed down. He pulled into the other lane, rolled up next to me, and gave me a big thumbs up and a smile then took off.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
CaliMR said:
Cloud9, I have a sort of similar in that it is the opposite story. When I took the baffles out and had TK installed, I stopped to pick up my bro and proceeded to test the traction control in the off position. Cop somehow rolled up behind me, I didn't even see him, and I put on my best poker face as I slowed down. He pulled into the other lane, rolled up next to me, and gave me a big thumbs up and a smile then took off.

Similar story - I had a PA State Trooper pull me over just before entering an on ramp for the highway back from Pocono Raceway. He had two things to say (this is 100% true BTW):

• Why the hell do you have a Chevy pulling a Boss ? (I own a Silverado)
  • That Boss is killer

Then he just drove off.

Dvendet

emcrace said:
Read the manual you can turn on a limited mode for parking attendents or kids.
Could you please cite your reference? I read the vehicle has a "MyKey" feature (whatever this is) that can limit the vehicle to "only" 80 MPH.

MMD

Dvendet

SMACK78 said:
i am a volvo tech. all of our cars are delivered in "transport mode". this and other parameters (aka speed limiter) are only able to be reset through our diagnostic program called VIDA. if you could "battery reset" the car, then rail workers and truck drivers would be auto crossing your car at the shipping yard ;D
Mr Volvo Guy,

It is well documented (by Ford) that this feature can be disabled by disconnecting the battery then reconnect after 10 seconds. Ford also indicates that you then turn the key on (without starting) and then off. At this point it's off to the races! Now...please do not tell any transportation workers!

MMD

CaliMR said:
Hahahaha classic! Sounds like you had the GOOD cop, not the BAD cop ;)

It would have been different if I was still in an import. The cops here like to go to this one dead end street by the freeway and drag race their Chargers. I discovered that on accident following poor GPS instructions, they seemed pretty surprised to see me ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors