The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A/F ratio imbalance ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the "P219A" DTC again. This one says A/F ratio imbalance, and is apparently a "permanent" code, that couldn't be cleared.

I just installed the AIRAID CF PJ intake with and Acufab TB. Everything has been running ok, and still is for the most part until the light came on yesterday evening. Anyone else have that code show after instillation? I have noticed that the A/F ratio seem a bit high, 13.8- 14.5 on the silver key. everything says that you don't need a custom tune after the CAi and the TB.

The only other thing I can think of it my JLT oil separator. I have had this code once before, but it referred to vacuum and had to be cleared by Ford. They had to do something like a total rest of the computer. Anyone have CEL issues with just a oil separator??

Could it be damaged MAF sensor?
Usually when replacing intakes, people accidentally damage, or dirty the MAF sensor. But there may be a specific code for that.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Shaun12 said:
I have the "P219A" DTC again. This one says A/F ratio imbalance, and is apparently a "permanent" code, that couldn't be cleared.

I just installed the AIRAID CF PJ intake with and Acufab TB. Everything has been running ok, and still is for the most part until the light came on yesterday evening. Anyone else have that code show after instillation? I have noticed that the A/F ratio seem a bit high, 13.8- 14.5 on the silver key. everything says that you don't need a custom tune after the CAi and the TB.

The only other thing I can think of it my JLT oil separator. I have had this code once before, but it referred to vacuum and had to be cleared by Ford. They had to do something like a total rest of the computer. Anyone have CEL issues with just a oil separator??

Shaun:

I ran a JLT for over a year with stock motor on stock tune...no CEL's or any issues there. One question for you......Did you install the reducer sleeve into the Airaid? It would be the area that the MAF sensor sits in. If not....you're sensing a whole lot more airflow than the stock ECU programming can handle. I just installed an Airaid and FRRP 84.5 mmTB along with a couple of other upgrades. I have custom tuning from AED...so no CEL's for me. I have noticed my A/F ratios running mid 13's to mid 14's according to my center gauge. I wrote the Tuner, Shaun....from AED, and he said that's not possible....so I suspect our gauges might not be entirely accurate in some circumstances.

Wayne

IMG_0636_zpsc0d35ccd.jpg

IMG_0637_zps7ad6acee.jpg

Senderofan

If you don't have the reducer sleeve for the Airaid....you'll have to get a custom tune to correct the issue with the ECU and the CEL.

Wayne

+1 on making sure you install the sleeve supplied by Airaid if your running stock tune.

The A/F ratio going from 13.8-14.5 seems normal to me, but you shouldn't have the code.

I use the same parts as you except I have headers and an off h-pipe. I had it dyno'd last week and my A/F was around 16-17 at WOT. Not good. I had to get it tuned. I thought all those part could be added with out a tune but that didn't turn out to be the case. From what the tuner told me the A/F reading from the ECU is off by .5, the sweet spot at WOT is 12.5 and around 14-15 at idle or not under load which helps save gas.

racered302 said:
I use the same parts as you except I have headers and an off h-pipe. I had it dyno'd last week and my A/F was around 16-17 at WOT. Not good. I had to get it tuned. I thought all those part could be added with out a tune but that didn't turn out to be the case. From what the tuner told me the A/F reading from the ECU is off by .5, the sweet spot at WOT is 12.5 and around 14-15 at idle or not under load which helps save gas.
Would be good to know who has the airaid + 84.5mm + cats etc and actually checked the A/F at WOT because "running good" does not mean we are at 12.5...or even safe.

Senderofan

patrickshelby said:
Would be good to know who has the airaid + 84.5mm + cats etc and actually checked the A/F at WOT because "running good" does not mean we are at 12.5...or even safe.

Agree 100%. I think this is especially true when trying to run OEM tune...or even Track Key with the mods. I'll be data logging this next week, weather permitting. Would be nice to know if the OEM tunes and the wide bands have enough adjustment available to them to compensate for the mods.

Wayne

Thanks for the insight. I have had this exact code a few months back on the stock motor, minus a JLT oil separator. Took it to ford and they couldn't figure it out, so they had to reset the KAM. When this same code popped up, I was thinking it is a more in-depth issues then relating to what I just installed. The answer to the question, is yes I do have everything installed as needed, (reducers, sleeves etc.) The issue turns out to be a simple one. Increased Air in the motor requires recalibration, "tuning" of the motor. After switching out the Accufab TB for the stock unit, and putting the 3 inch coupler back on, the motor has run fine with out any issues or CEL's. Sometimes What you read isn't always accurate. I was under the impression that you wound NOT need a tune for the motor after the install of these parts. Even 5.0 magazine touted that, as does Accufab on their website, when looking at the 84.5 MM TB. Of course its a different story when you call in and talk to George over there, as he clearly says that you HAVE to do a tune or you'll get the CEL. At first I thought he was confused, so I looked back at Accufab's site and is says "Bolt on and go". Which to me translates into, bolt on and drive. No tuning needed. Maybe there is a small declaimer I am missing... Either way, its fixed now. I Will be doing a tune at some point, but will wait for some more "worth while" parts and the warranty to run out.

Thanks for the help.

Seems a number of people have done the Airaid CAI & Accufab/FRPP 84.5mm TB mod and have had no issues...so far. I've considered this as well, but have held back because I've improved flow out the back end (Kooks shorty headers & FRPP axlebacks). So are these intake mods putting you that close to the edge of code-land?

Unless I'm missing something here, the lager TB caused the A/F imbalance code. Makes sense to me, after putting the stock unit back on. Don't know how you other guys aren't having CEL's come on if you are running the stock tunes with lager TB and CAI's. But enjoy if while it lasts! Can def tell a difference in the responsiveness of the motor. I am sure it'll be even better with LT's and a custom tune.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Shaun12 said:
Don't know how you other guys aren't having CEL's come on if you are running the stock tunes with lager TB and CAI's.

If you leave the sleeve in the CAI the air input is the same as the stock unit

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Shaun12 said:
Unless I'm missing something here, the lager TB caused the A/F imbalance code. Makes sense to me, after putting the stock unit back on. Don't know how you other guys aren't having CEL's come on if you are running the stock tunes with lager TB and CAI's. But enjoy if while it lasts! Can def tell a difference in the responsiveness of the motor. I am sure it'll be even better with LT's and a custom tune.

Are you sure you did not have a vacuum leak? This would cause the same condition. I have the 84.5mm TB with the OEM intake tube and a FRPP K&N air filter. I have not thrown any codes. Did you trim the two locator pins prior to the new TB install?

302 HP

Tucson302 said:
If you leave the sleeve in the CAI the air input is the same as the stock unit

Are you talking about the part that slides over the MAF sensor and goes into the Airtube at the connection from the air box?

302 Hi Pro said:
Are you sure you did not have a vacuum leak? This would cause the same condition. I have the 84.5mm TB with the OEM intake tube and a FRPP K&N air filter. I have not thrown any codes. Did you trim the two locator pins prior to the new TB install?

302 HP

I thought I did at first, but i'm positive it was the mass of air coming in. I am no where an expert or even amateur for that matter, but with just having the larger TB installed with just the factory air box, you wouldn't really flow more air. If you went from a 3 inch intake to a 4 inch intake with the same TB, I would think you would have the same CEL.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
patrickshelby said:
FWIW I have ran the AirAid CF and AHR long rubes and was seeing A/F's in the mid to low 12's with stock tune and trackey. no CEL's. I would be running the larger TB but my nitrous plate wont clear it.

BOSSCWO said:
I recently installed the CF airaid cai (with sleeve) and the 84.5 throttle body and have not had any issues. Boss is running great.

Same here plus long tubes, no issues, but I have the CF airraid cai (with sleeve) only since a couple of days and the A/F I have yet to see under high load.

TMO Supporting Vendors