The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A great day followed by a BAD night - rear brake issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I woke up this morning to find a massive puddle under the other wheel. I played shuffle in the driveway to get it in the garage and drive my 1968 Torino to work today.

The only place I see motorcraft new calipers is Rock Auto. Thoughts?

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Duane, I have replaced 4 of the parts store brand rebuilt rear calipers, it seems once pads wear enough they leak, I carry a spare set with me, trying to get a set of OEM but they seem hard to find.

@scmscout So are you not having problems so long as you replace pads at say, half wear? My right one sprung a leak over night and shook me up again. Both sides of course had similar pad wear, looks like the RR held up a tad bit longer.

The same set of calipers ran Road Atlanta with good brake pad in them and I drove home just fine on those. I think @Bill Pemberton was on to something about how it was heat related.

I tell ya, all of this starts making Miatas look tempting... then I can just have my caliper bolts back out on me!! LOL

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
They're a 10 minute install (if you are already in there) and they work great.

I used them for about a year until I upgraded my rear diff to a Torsen. While I was at it I upgraded my rear axles and changed the axle brackets to the GT500 parts. I sold my adapter brackets.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
BTW I kind of understand how a brake caliper works... but is it more the heat from the pads wearing out that makes these leak, or those the seal that "rolls" along that piston just get screwed up as it rolls out that far?

I think the problem is that the parts house re-manufactured calipers simply aren't up to the same build standards as a new Ford caliper. Cheaper seals, bigger tolerances in the piston to bore clearance, etcetera.

I do not think your problem is a rear brake heat management issue. I think it is cheap components.

I have never seen an OEM rear caliper leak on any of the track Mustangs I have worked on. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen one leak.

Steve Esposito did run his rears down into into the backing plates a few years ago and the pad backing plates actually bent and the piston overextended / popped out. He just replaced pads and re-seated the piston and kept running. No more leaks. Again, OEM calipers.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Ok next question. Do I want a new or remanufactured Motorcraft?

Is Ford keeping its remanufacturing process in house? Or are the same cheap $@%R@# companies making these for discount parts chains making Motorcraft remans too?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors