The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A Japanese Mustang ! ! ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
This one caught me eye and I couldn't help sharing. Surely some reactions will be expressed.
Myself, I don't think makes for a very good looking Mustang but...
What an improvement for the Mazda !

Mazda Mustang.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Just to be clear, this isn't a thing that's happening. It's just a "what if" sketch.

That said, it's pretty wild how closely some of the older Japanese sports cars I've seen around here resemble pony cars. It's really neat considering the engineering differences and I'd totally be on board to add some to my collection someday.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
When I was stationed in Japan. Locals all HotrodEd 2.0 engines. Same today?

I'm actually not sure. The car culture here is...interesting...and I can't really wrap my head around it. I think in some ways people use it as a way to showcase individuality in a culture that vigorously enforces conformity, so it creates some very outlandish trends.

Honestly the Ecoboost mustang feels like a Japanese sports car to me. It’s like the progression of the Nissan S15 Silvia that Nissan never made.

The copy in this article is not important, just check out the pics. There are many similarities between S15’s and S550’s. Both look damn good for starters.

Also since were talking Japanese cars check this thing out at Mosport doing 1.16’s. Not built in Japan but pretty damn cool and it MOVES. Video is definitely worth a watch.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
For a Japanese ponycar, I've always liked the Dodge Conquest TSi / Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R (the widebody models). Those box flares are awesome. The whole car just looks mean and fast. Similar shape as a Supra of the same vintage, but turned up to 11.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Honestly the Ecoboost mustang feels like a Japanese sports car to me. It’s like the progression of the Nissan S15 Silvia that Nissan never made.

The copy in this article is not important, just check out the pics. There are many similarities between S15’s and S550’s. Both look damn good for starters.

Also since were talking Japanese cars check this thing out at Mosport doing 1.16’s. Not built in Japan but pretty damn cool and it MOVES. Video is definitely worth a watch.

There's a couple of pristine examples running around on base here, very similar to that Speedhunters post. They're probably my favorite, though I don't know much about them. The S15s and the RX7s I see around here are usually the most tasteful and least outrageously modified cars around here, so I enjoy seeing them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I'm actually not sure. The car culture here is...interesting...and I can't really wrap my head around it.
When I was in Oki the "Hot Ticket" was a full 2 liter twin cam. The folks who drove them were....Unique. I had a 7.0 liter chevy there and they would all look, smile but never crank up and come out to play.....strange.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Japanese machines of the 60s and 70s mirrored a lot of the style of the US and Europe ( much like we saw later with cars from S. Korea and very much today from China ) so mwjscn hit it on the button for the look they often went after. Even though my first car was a rare 1969 Datsun 2000 with the competition package ( 150hp instead of 135 ) I was not impressed with how much a Celica GT looked like a 69 Mustang. Over the years we have all noticed how the American Style has influenced vehicles elsewhere, so considering that there has been a bit of a change to modding machines with a bit of Japanese flavor shows that the Automobile is very much an International Design element today. My son has an EV0 9 , with some minor styling changes and of course it came with a big wing ( removed now , because he runs a class in SCCA that does not allow wings ) and we have to all admit it is now very much a concept we all view as an upgraded mod. Canards, side splitters, wings and more , have been promoted in Japan for years, partly because the cars may not have rumbling V8 power due to government regulation, but drifting or going around corners could be achieved with downforce. The movement of performance enthusiasts Worldwide, has made the need for speed culture of today , better, imho.

PS - my Datsun 2000 consumed clutches like they were a daily meal , because the same one was used for the 90HP 1600 and the 135HP 2000 model. What I did not find out until later , after I sold it to my mom ( I needed our 1963 VW Camper for College Interests, ha ) that if you had the Competition model it was assume you would put in a heavy duty clutch , but when you did not know and the Dealership was not aware you just bought another. I should have known something was wrong , as I never got beaten by a 240Z , which also had 150 hp. I would give anything to have that rocket roadster today.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel