The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A little automotive history

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone ever hear of board tracks? Think of old school bowling alleys with the board on their ends instead of flat, now think of a 1.5 mile banked oval made like that, now think of running 150mph on it,
in 1929.

Frank Lockhart 147.7 in 1926

Screenshot_20220814-223206_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220814-223231_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220814-223300_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Watched that same show and it was amazing, but thanks for digging up some close up old photos, as it is much more dramatic and death defying in these shots. Never realized the spectators were sooooooo close. Good find my friend.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I've heard of them. Then again, I've heard of Ray Harroun, Barney Oldfield, Harry Hartz, and Wilbur Shaw.

@Bill Pemberton - what was the show you saw? I found this with some googling -

I was asked about my favorite racing movies, no one remembers the Big Wheel, but it was a classic for its time, the other movie people forget is "Winning" another classic around 1968.
of course there is Gran Prix and LeMans but they are more popular, the modern stuff is crap. except the one about Lauda

I'm familiar with board tracks, but I was indoctrinated young. My dad's a former National President of the Horseless Carriage Club of America.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you watch this movie, a lot of those guys are in it, they did a bunch of cameos.
I'm pretty sure I saw that at some point but had forgotten about it.

The Crowd Roars (1932) with James Cagney has a lot of vintage racing footage, including Indy 500 and many driver cameos, along with some inside jokes. There are a couple scenes at Tom Beal's lunch stand that used to be in Gasoline Alley, and one involves a poster of the odds of various drivers to win. A driver at the lunch counter asks why he's not on it, and the owner says something like, "If you get faster, you might get on it." The driver is Louis Schnieder, who won the Indy 500 the previous year.

I'm pretty sure I saw that at some point but had forgotten about it.

The Crowd Roars (1932) with James Cagney has a lot of vintage racing footage, including Indy 500 and many driver cameos, along with some inside jokes. There are a couple scenes at Tom Beal's lunch stand that used to be in Gasoline Alley, and one involves a poster of the odds of various drivers to win. A driver at the lunch counter asks why he's not on it, and the owner says something like, "If you get faster, you might get on it." The driver is Louis Schnieder, who won the Indy 500 the previous year.
great stuff!

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well the positives were unlike Riverside, when they tore up this track they had plenty of materials to build the new homes in the area, ha. Crazy how close the spectators were to the cars roaring by!

TMO Supporting Vendors