The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A little tactics advice needed please!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I need a little input from the wizer hands here.... Any suggestions of what I can do to get past this pesky BMW?? He has 1250kg and 500rwhp (nissan turbo swap). My car is at 1575 kilos and 430 rwhp. He is usually a second behind me but his power advantage on the straight left me stuck in traffic. Am about to follow Grants suggestion of the 3.31 rear end to aviod fifth gear and have a more useful 2nd gear.. Also will be upgrading the exhaust and taking out the cats.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Dam, they chose me as the category rep.... How would it look if I did a bump and run.... maybe I should resign!!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Lol.

Looks like you could have reeled him in a bit more with late braking. Seems like you and your car are faster everywhere but the main straight. And he's only a teeny bit faster there.

Is the squat still working for you?

I think transitioning from heavier/later braking and immediately getting on the throttle in one of the lower speed corners might have worked to make the pass.

Gearing change might help on that note too. I'll watch the video again/more later.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If I'm doing the math right, the 3.31s would let you use the top of 4th for the main straight there.

I see you're mechanical over-revving on some of the downshifts and you really don't want to do that going down into 2nd, because the gear spacing is a tick wider between 2-3 vs. 3-4.

I think it should make it easier to both pass and defend...JMO. And you gotta get used to using 2nd...

I agree with JAJ, you need to be closer to him in the turns. You are faster but some of your passing attempts were started from too far away. Also on the last turn maybe try coming in a little wider and turn in just a hair later so you can get on the throttle earlier (unless youwere protecting from someone behind). He seems to have a little more exit speed than you on that turn.

Agree with the later braking also.

Easy for me to say while sitting behind my keyboard :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I'm doing the math right, the 3.31s would let you use the top of 4th for the main straight there.

I see you're mechanical over-revving on some of the downshifts and you really don't want to do that going down into 2nd, because the gear spacing is a tick wider between 2-3 vs. 3-4.

I think it should make it easier to both pass and defend...JMO. And you gotta get used to using 2nd...

Yes the 3.31 would give me 217km/hr at 7750 rpm and I would be better positioned in the power curve. Shifting to 5th on the straight away drops me down too far right now with the 3.73 (and its a weak gear).

Yes:(, I have been trying to contain myself better on the over revving (as you mentioned earlier!). A taller second would be easier to handle. Right now 2nd is really too short. I used to use it all the time with street tires but that was with a 26.7" diameter vs the 25.6" slicks.

Cant wait to go back to the faster R7s, I have one more set of new contis and then I'll be done with them.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I agree with JAJ, you need to be closer to him in the turns. You are faster but some of your passing attempts were started from too far away. Also on the last turn maybe try coming in a little wider and turn in just a hair later so you can get on the throttle earlier (unless youwere protecting from someone behind). He seems to have a little more exit speed than you on that turn.

I think I might have been able to pass the Bimmer infront if was not for the other BMW on my tail.... He was seldom more then a few meters away.... That guy has already bumped me before :mad:,

I was too busy defending my line and looks like should have been more agressive.

upload_2018-10-16_13-16-19.png
He is our resident bad boy.................

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tough one. Agree you need to be closer, if possible. If you still have headlights, make sure they are on to annoy him. If you are close enough coming to the brake zones, you could attempt a pass (risky) or try "selling the dummy" by setting him up on the inside and making him defend (coming off optimal line) while you jump back to the optimal line and try to get a run on the exit.

But in honesty, this is a total mismatch. The specs you said above have you at 8.07 lbs per HP, and the BMW at 5.5 lbs per HP. That's a very difficult gap to bridge considering the other driver looks competent as well.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool!! I will leave the high beams on!!! :)

I noticed a little more smoke in his exhaust then he had before... Maybe the laws on nature will come thru for me.... He is running that thing on mega boost.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I am no door to door pro, but here's what I see...

Maximize your exit speed on the north chicane (cut off a big chunk of the rumble strips). If he moves to the inside to block on the first left hander on the west end of the track, you enter wide and exit shallow as he goes wide on exit (as it appears he has a tendency to do). You can get to the inside of him on the second left hander, and the spot is yours. I know the long straight is next, but if you kill his momentum enough (cut his ass off), you may be able to keep him behind you as his turbos will take a moment to spool up.

My first shot at an analyst, so no hard feelings if you tell me I'm full of shaving cream.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Shaving cream!! Naa, that sounds good too me. This is my first season wheel to wheel so I have a lot too learn.

The Subaru that passes us in lap 4 is a 600 awhp monster that just graduated to the next category..... Thank God!

Great video! And the track is pretty interesting, too!

You have one of the most frustrating problems in racing - you have the better handling car, he has more power! I notice that you have a tendency to sneak a look on the inside of him while he drifts a bit wider in the corner. That hurts your speed and helps his. Common problem, all racers have done this. Try to let the car free up and run a bit wider, it will help your exit speed.

I also notice you aren't hammering the curbs on the right as much as the left. Flattening out the left handers a bit more might get you alongside him. My next thought is to alter your setup just a bit to maximize left hand turns, if you haven't already done this. A bit less negative camber 1/2 to 1 degree on the left will improve left turn grip and speed while giving up a bit of right turns will allow you to gain speed onto the long straight as well as getting you in touch with him in the back twisties.

Forgot to mention... IF you try reducing the LF camber, you can adjust the balance by changing the rear spring preload a bit to get the car back to balance. More front grip in a left hander will give you understeer. Add a little spring preload in the right rear and a turn or 2 less in the left will balance things out. A little "NASCAR" tech :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel