The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A new player has emerged in the roll bar game...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Oh damn. I didn't know they were working on that.

For those that somehow don't know, Watson Engineering is the group that builds all the factory 302S/302R race cars for Ford Racing. I would not (and have not) hesitate(d) to put their products in my vehicle.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The Rip said:
Will this work with the rear seat delete package?

That's tough to say from those pics, even with the final pic they show. I'd call Watson up and ask--they probably know already.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
The Rip said:
Will this work with the rear seat delete package?
Not with the LS cross bar. They are presently working on a panel to fit in place of the rear seat.
I will probably just purchase a rear seat delete kit and customize it to fit.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
good to see a diagonal bar in that hoop, since cars don't got from right side up to up side down without rolling on their side first! still seems like an unfriendly removal for back seat use on the street. still looking for my perfect rollbar :-\

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
HA! no, I have the expedition people mover for most of that duty, but i like being able to enjoy my kid transporting sometimes!

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
That's the bar that was in one of the Ford Racing BOSS 302s at Superfest this last Memorial Day weekend at VIR.

This looks awesome and good timing for me.

Mike that was plural not a 302S.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Looks nice, but I'd like to see the rear connections too.

And why no door bar options?! With the CoolTech joints, it should be easy to make a modular kit for those too...

Tulsa, OK
Looks like a decent option and it's nice that it already comes welded and powder coated. It's also nice that you have the option to remove it semi-easily. ;D

Personally I don't really like how this bar just bolts into the existing corner gussets. I've installed an MM 4 point bar in my car and the corner gussets from MM appear significantly more substantial than factory and are made to fit perfectly with the roll bar mounting plates. I'm not sure if there is any safety difference but the upgraded corner gussets in the MM kit make me feel more warm and fuzzy than the Watson setup. Just personal preference.

I'm also not a fan of the placement of the rear support bars. I'm sure they did it this way so that the bar is easily removable but it sure seems like you won't be able to use the seat back or a rear seat delete.

I'll be interested to hear your feedback on it!

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
For me it came down to the Maximum Motorsports bar or Cooltech with the Cooltech being the front runner. I was all ready to get the Cooltech, had confirmation from my sanctioning body about it's legality and was just waiting for my next bonus check.
Price was the only thing keeping me from leaping on the Cooltech bar sooner. The cost of the bar, with the diagonal plus shipping had it costing more than my complete roll cage in the Spec E30 race car I just sold.
While waiting, I received information about the Waston bar.
Many of the benefits of the MM and Cooltech but more affordable.
For me, it was a no brainer. If it is good enough for every FR500 and Boss race car, it is good enough for my trakho.

Tulsa, OK
This is the same roll bar used in every FR500 and Boss race car?? :eek:

The Cooltech bar is definitely pricy. I'll give ya that. I wanted that one too but couldn't justify the cost when the MM bar seemed like an equal alternative at lower cost.

A comparable bar from MM would be $877 shipped to your house. Then you would have to pay extra for welding (I paid $60) and powder coating (I paid $75). So the MM bar would probably end up being about $200ish more than this bar. Good deal on this from WR.

roadhouse said:
I'm also not a fan of the placement of the rear support bars. I'm sure they did it this way so that the bar is easily removable but it sure seems like you won't be able to use the seat back or a rear seat delete.

...because it is easily* removable. ;)

I think that is the main selling point of this new contender. I have wanted a rollbar and rear-seat delete since I got my car, but every so often, I have to throw the kids in the back of the Boss. It's rare, but I have to retain that functionality until I can afford a daily beater/kid-hauler. Now I don't have to wait. This is exciting to me.

* Warning: this is a relative kind of word. ;)

Thanks for posting this Mike! Looks like a high-quality piece... just the ticket for a four point roll bar, especially one that's removable (important for those of us with the occasional kid(s) to haul around). Gotta think that Watson's engineering behind this is unassailable. Really reasonable price, too.

Tulsa, OK
Jimmy Pribble said:
...because it is easily* removable. ;)

I think that is the main selling point of this new contender. I have wanted a rollbar and rear-seat delete since I got my car, but every so often, I have to throw the kids in the back of the Boss. It's rare, but I have to retain that functionality until I can afford a daily beater/kid-hauler. Now I don't have to wait. This is exciting to me.

* Warning: this is a relative kind of word. ;)

Ha! Very true ;) I know wrestling the bar in and out of my car was NOT fun!

For the reasons you just gave, I think this bar will be very popular.

TMO Supporting Vendors