The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A non-Boss owner's review of the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I am a Mustang guy and haven't needed to test drive any Mustang that I have bought ever since I got to drive my buddies 1980 turbo car back in the 80's (which was modified). They have their weaknesses but EVERY SINGLE Mustang that I have driven, (and I have had five since the 80's) had a soul and that is why I continue to buy them. The lineage of the marque and the connection with the country that I love and the fact that I am helping to keep American workers with a roof over their heads helps too. Can't say that about other cars that I have owned. If you are a car guy, its pretty easy to buy a Boss and not do a test drive first. They packed so much awesome into this one that you really can't go wrong.

I realize that there are a lot of guys here pushing the limits of their cars and finding faults and to me, that's normal when you take any machine onto the track. The issue is, a lot of us just drive them for fun and you have to admit, there is WAY MORE car here than you could EVER need on the street!!! It suits me just perfectly.

John

Its always fun to hear from unbiased people that have experience driving other performance cars and how they compare to the Boss. Thanks for posting the review and welcome to BMO!

I did NOT test drive the Boss nor did I any other Mustang as of recent prior to purchasing mine. My experience driving a buddy's Mustang GT 17 years ago (I was 16 at the time) was all I needed to make it a goal to get a Mustang someday. I had zero reservation the Boss would live up to my previous memory of how these cars drive.

38 degrees today and 8 inches of snow last night.... good thing its at Tousley this week getting the new goodies installed. 70 by Friday -- I need some Boss time. 8)

ArizonaGT said:
Hell, I took delivery of mine without ever test driving one or without test driving a "regular" 5.0...

Same here. Put an order in back in December of 2010 right after the announcement.

Man, it doesn't seem like that long ago!

jneary said:
I am a Mustang guy and haven't needed to test drive any Mustang that I have bought ever since I got to drive my buddies 1980 turbo car back in the 80's (which was modified). They have their weaknesses but EVERY SINGLE Mustang that I have driven, (and I have had five since the 80's) had a soul and that is why I continue to buy them. The lineage of the marque and the connection with the country that I love and the fact that I am helping to keep American workers with a roof over their heads helps too. Can't say that about other cars that I have owned. If you are a car guy, its pretty easy to buy a Boss and not do a test drive first. They packed so much awesome into this one that you really can't go wrong.

I realize that there are a lot of guys here pushing the limits of their cars and finding faults and to me, that's normal when you take any machine onto the track. The issue is, a lot of us just drive them for fun and you have to admit, there is WAY MORE car here than you could EVER need on the street!!! It suits me just perfectly.

John

It looks like you and I are alot alike! My wife has a 13 ST, I've got the 12 B2 and a Medium Blue 70 B2. :)

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
jneuman said:
Its always fun to hear from unbiased people that have experience driving other performance cars and how they compare to the Boss. Thanks for posting the review and welcome to BMO!

I did NOT test drive the Boss nor did I any other Mustang as of recent prior to purchasing mine. My experience driving a buddy's Mustang GT 17 years ago (I was 16 at the time) was all I needed to make it a goal to get a Mustang someday. I had zero reservation the Boss would live up to my previous memory of how these cars drive.

38 degrees today and 8 inches of snow last night.... good thing its at Tousley this week getting the new goodies installed. 70 by Friday -- I need some Boss time. 8)

Just be careful messing around corners....even though the temps might be right by the end of the week...we still need some good rains to wash all the sand off the roads....not to mention the salt. I'm holding tight for another week or two.

Wayne

P.S.

Good call on getting your Boss from Tousley...good people. I remember going with my folks there...to pick up their new Fairlane GT in 1967. Grew up in Shoreview and Forest Lake...had relatives living in White Bear Lake.

I'm surprised at "test drives". All the dealers in North Texas (that I called, and that wasn't every dealer) would NOT let the Boss be test driven.

My daughter is an office manager of Ford Dealership in Florida and when she told me about the Boss, I started researching on this forum and was hooked.

Bought it over the phone; flew to Florida; signed the papers and my first drive was as the owner driving off the lot. I've only bought one other car without a test drive (74 Vette).

I was shocked at how the car performed during my first few minutes behind the wheel and it just gets better every time I drive her.

TMO Supporting Vendors