The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 A Pale Horse Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Small update:

Took some time to wrap these up in heat reflective tape. This was mostly due to me having the tape around than combating any heat issues. Every little bit helps though!
20220817_224126.jpg

Now what's really going to help with under hood temps is these bad boys:
20220819_173810.jpg

It took some time to source, but I was finally able to get the full GT4 vent set. To say I'm excited to get these on is an understatement. I'll likely be spending a good chunk of the weekend taping off the hood, measuring 40 times, and trying to get them installed.

More to follow!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Me too.....That first Boss I heard was mine, back in Oct 05, 2011.....I know you have evolved since then, but My Boss is still keeping me going................................:hellyeah:
I 100% plan on owning one eventually. I'm still very much in love with them. I'd love to have one parked next to the 350, but I know I would end up modding the hell out of it too 😁

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Mustang Driver's Club (MDC) @ Auto Club Speedway - October 1, 2022
Before I get into the event, is there something about people that take their car to the track which forces them to procrastinate? Because I sure as hell do. I had my bumper, hood, airbox, splitter, wheels, and wheel liners off until the day before the event. You'd think something would tell me I should put all that junk back on, but nope. Because of that, I ended up with an issue later in the day which I'll get into.

Kicking off the event was great. On three hours of sleep I loaded up for ACS which is only a 35 minute drive, After pounding the official American breakfast of a gas station taco and an energy drink of course. Over the summer I had installed the hood vents which I was excited to try. ACS is a perfect track to feel those out with the high speeds we hit. I had also made a new left knob which I was curious to try. I lengthened it a bit to see if I'd prefer having the shifter closer to my hand.

Spoiler alert: I DID NOT

Since this was the inaugural MDC event, I got to reunite with all the great guys after a long summer of high temps and no track time on my end. I was annoyed that SpeedVentures wouldn't allow me to sign up for the red group despite having record of my lap time. @Ewheels managed to help me get that corrected in the first 10 minutes at the track. Thanks for that!

As far as how the day went, I'll break it down by session.

Session 1
Black flagged for a flock of geese just as I got heat into the tires and brakes. Regardless of the feathered Canadian sabotage, I still felt like I couldn't get anything going. I kept missing shifts and immediately despised the shifter I made. Of course I didn't pack the backup either. Regardless I did manage to PB with a 1:48.9. I'll largely chalk that up to the hood vents massively changing the feel of the car in long sweepers because the driver was the conductor of the shiznit-show that session. If someone would have told me it would make such a massive difference at high speeds, I wouldn't have believed them.

Here's a fun pic from that session despite being off-line:
Oct-01-2022-Speed Ventures (Sat)-RED GROUP-SESSION 1 (FINISH LINE)-AC1_0186_Oct0122_850AM_Cali...jpg

Session 2
Still missing shifts, but I got stuck behind an open-wheel car that would just drag race me on the straights and pretend I don't exist in the corners. I ended up frustrated and tried to cut my braking zone down too far and went four off to mow some grass. I still haven't been paid for my services. Maybe once ACS is torn down I'll get the check.

Session 3
Sitting in grid I noticed the car wasn't revving as it should. Very bogged down and low on power until around 1,500 RPM. Nevertheless I sent it, but still nothing to write home about. I put down some 1:49s and 1:50s the rest of the day, but PB time was long gone the way I was driving.

Interlude
Any time with the fabulous @PaddyPrix is a delight. We got to chat and share some laughs which really helped the mood I was in. Not being able to put a good lap together repeatedly was wearing on me. After some thought and some help from another gentleman I met with a 350, I decided I wasn't going to run the fourth session on the off chance the bogging issue I had was more serious. Fortunately, WRTeknica was onsite and they took a look at the car and confirmed what was my suspicion: a bad MAF sensor. I swapped out my intake tube because I had broken one of the plugs off during uninstall. In doing so, I tossed the tube and entirely forgot the MAF was still installed. I discovered the missing MAF on Thursday night, grabbed a Duralast unit from AutoZone since it was the only thing available on Friday night, all so I could find out it is a POS by Saturday afternoon. I fully intended to get another OEM unit after the fact, but this seems to indicate the AutoZone unit isn't up to the task.

Session 4
I didn't go out, but I did get to watch @Mach.334 enjoy the first track day in his car and enjoy some more conversation with Pat. Good times!

At the end of it all, my 1:48.9 was good for 3rd in MDC1. Will from WRteknica took 2nd and Mark of MMR took first with an absolutely bonkers car.
20221002_130608.jpgScreenshot_20221002_234807.jpg

What's even more awesome is @67GTA took 1st in MDC2. It's going to be great battling with you in TT3! I'm pretty sure you've sold me on those Penskes.

Bonus Round - Two TMO podium cars in one pic!
Screenshot_20221005-114255_Gallery.jpg

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Congrats on the podium! That MDC1 and really MDC2 groups have some really good cars and drivers there, so sniffing near the top, or being at the top are no small feat. Totally with you about the time off, I spent so much time just calmly chilling with the car in pieces, and then went on a semi-mad rush to put everything back together with a few days remaining.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Before I get into the event, is there something about people that take their car to the track which forces them to procrastinate? Because I sure as hell do. I had my bumper, hood, airbox, splitter, wheels, and wheel liners off until the day before the event. You'd think something would tell me I should put all that junk back on, but nope. Because of that, I ended up with an issue later in the day which I'll get into.

Kicking off the event was great. On three hours of sleep I loaded up for ACS which is only a 35 minute drive, After pounding the official American breakfast of a gas station taco and an energy drink of course. Over the summer I had installed the hood vents which I was excited to try. ACS is a perfect track to feel those out with the high speeds we hit. I had also made a new left knob which I was curious to try. I lengthened it a bit to see if I'd prefer having the shifter closer to my hand.

Since this was the inaugural MDC event, I got to reunite with all the great guys after a long summer of high temps and no track time on my end. I was annoyed that SpeedVentures wouldn't allow me to sign up for the red group despite having record of my lap time. @Ewheels managed to help me get that corrected in the first 10 minutes at the track. Thanks for that!

Session 1
Black flagged for a flock of geese just as I got heat into the tires and brakes. Regardless of the feathered Canadian sabotage, I still felt like I couldn't get anything going. I kept missing shifts and immediately despised the shifter I made. Of course I didn't pack the backup either. Regardless I did manage to PB with a 1:48.9. I'll largely chalk that up to the hood vents massively changing the feel of the car in long sweepers because the driver was the conductor of the shiznit-show that session. If someone would have told me it would make such a massive difference at high speeds, I wouldn't have believed them.

View attachment 79993

Session 2
Still missing shifts, but I got stuck behind an open-wheel car that would just drag race me on the straights and pretend I don't exist in the corners. I ended up frustrated and tried to cut my braking zone down too far and went four off to mow some grass. I still haven't been paid for my services. Maybe once ACS is torn down I'll get the check.

Session 3
Sitting in grid I noticed the car wasn't revving as it should. Very bogged down and low on power until around 1,500 RPM. Nevertheless I sent it, but still nothing to write home about. I put down some 1:49s and 1:50s the rest of the day, but PB time was long gone the way I was driving.

Interlude
Any time with the fabulous @PaddyPrix is a delight. We got to chat and share some laughs which really helped the mood I was in. Not being able to put a good lap together repeatedly was wearing on me. After some thought and some help from another gentleman I met with a 350, I decided I wasn't going to run the fourth session on the off chance the bogging issue I had was more serious. Fortunately, WRTeknica was onsite and they took a look at the car and confirmed what was my suspicion: a bad MAF sensor. I swapped out my intake tube because I had broken one of the plugs off during uninstall. In doing so, I tossed the tube and entirely forgot the MAF was still installed. I discovered the missing MAF on Thursday night, grabbed a Duralast unit from AutoZone since it was the only thing available on Friday night, all so I could find out it is a POS by Saturday afternoon. I fully intended to get another OEM unit after the fact, but this seems to indicate the AutoZone unit isn't up to the task.

Session 4
I didn't go out, but I did get to watch @Mach.334 enjoy the first track day in his car and enjoy some more conversation with Pat. Good times!

At the end of it all, my 1:48.9 was good for 3rd in MDC1. Will from WRteknica took 2nd and Mark of MMR took first with an absolutely bonkers car.
View attachment 79991View attachment 79994

What's even more awesome is @67GTA took 1st in MDC2. It's going to be great battling with you in TT3! I'm pretty sure you've sold me on those Penskes.

View attachment 79992
:thatrocks:

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Phoenix

Session 1

View attachment 79993

Session 2

Session 3

Interlude

Session 4

View attachment 79991View attachment 79994

View attachment 79992
That looks so sick, and especially when form meets function!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I'm hoping this will be the last post without video/data.

NASA SoCal @ Buttonwillow, 25 Layout
With a new MAF sensor and my alignment fixed (turns out I did all of ACS with my left rear at 3.4 degrees of camber), Buttonwillow went great. I arrived a day early to get set up and figure out how to get some ballast added to the car. Keeping with the pattern of doing everything last minute, I spent the night before fixing the rear camber and didn't get a chance to figure out the ballast solution. After a trip to a hardware store, two home depots, and a Dick's Sporting Goods, I settled on two 25-pound weights, one attached under each seat. Now for the fun part!

Saturday, Session 1
The first session was qualifying and apparently I'm an idiot because I could have sworn we were running the 13 layout which includes Bus Stop. Turns out we were running 25. Differences below:

Layout 13 Layout 25

1665519510788.png1665519547945.png

Well I rocket out of grapevine setting up for club corner and the BMW in front of me rockets away down the dog leg. My first thought was "Well that guy has no idea what is going on." Turns out I was the guy who had no idea what was going on. Once I recovered from that, I put down the fastest qualifier with a 1:59.3. It could have been a bit faster but I was stuck behind a TT2 M4GTS.

Session 2
This session wasn't much better. I kept tossing away a good lap in a different corner and ended up with a 1:59.6. Unfortunately for my desire to win, WRTeknica was there in their built 350z which they classed up to TT3. Justin from WRTeknica put down a great 1:58.277, putting me in second place.

Session 3
Temps went up quickly. It was a good 10-12 degrees hotter in the third session but I was determined to put it all out there. I went out send it as hard as possible, eventually having to settle for a 1:58.4 and 2nd place.

Session 4
Stayed in. it was 95 degrees and I would have just wasted tire I wanted to save for Sunday. Second place it was.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, Session 1
Had a good session where I put down a 1:59.3 again which would have put me in first if I didn't go rocketing off track at Star Mazda, disqualifying me for that session. My brakes were smoking pretty badly as I came in. Upon inspection, I found my pads were wearing much faster than expected so I needed to just drive better rather than try and cut my braking zones down too far. Armed with that knowledge, I knew I just needed to go out and set one good lap and I could call it for the day.

Session 2
Low on pads and time before my tires would start getting greasy, I had to make this session count. I didn't think I'd be comfortable going out again given the rate of my pads wearing. I went out and had a bit of trouble getting anything together until my third lap. I put down a 1:59.4 and coming out of the esses I put my passenger-side wheels in the dirt. I was determined to stay in it, pulled it back on track, didn't see any flags so I kept going. One more time around and I ended with a 1:58.999 according to my lap timer and a 1:59.006 according to my transponder. I kept it on track for a cooldown lap and pulled into impound. The TT director was standing there and I asked him if that would be a DQ. He said it would depend on how the flag station called it. I made weight, went back to camp, then ran back over to talk to the director to figure it out. He took me to the race control tower and had me sit outside for what may have been the longest two minutes of my life. No DQ, times were good. That put me in first place with conditions only getting worse and no competitors putting down any times close.

Session 3
Stayed in, treated myself with chicken strips. I would have had to accept whatever results were given because my pads were too low to comfortably go out and set a fast lap.

Session 4
Stayed in and packed up for the 3.5 hours drive home.

Summary
1665521430419.png1665521476782.png
(Note: The first place medal and winner hat I actually picked up for my TTU win in June, but I did win Sunday so let's pretend it is for that too. I'll pick up awards for Sunday at the next event)
These mean a lot to me.

Seven years ago this car was unattainable to me. Four years ago I managed to buy it. Two year ago I started my HPDE journey. Now I'm managing to pull down victories with the support of some fantastic people. I'm going to finish out the year with as much seat time as possible and 2023 will be my bid for TT3 regional champion of the SoCal region. To any of my other friends and competitors on this site, call on me and I'll help you with anything you guys need on our cars, but I'm going to make you guys work for it out there on track ;)

Side note
I do not like Ferodo pads. I've been running DSUNOs up front and DS1.11 in the rear. I do not like the feel they give. I know some wicked fast people on them that swear by them, so they are not a bad product. With that said, I've made the swap to a Cobalt XR1/XR2 combo thanks to @Tonymustang302 and @honeybadger. I should have those this week and will have a report on them after the second MDC event on Oct 29. Until then, enjoy some track shots!
unknown-6.png

unknown-7.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

With a new MAF sensor and my alignment fixed (turns out I did all of ACS with my left rear at 3.4 degrees of camber), Buttonwillow went great. I arrived a day early to get set up and figure out how to get some ballast added to the car. Keeping with the pattern of doing everything last minute, I spent the night before fixing the rear camber and didn't get a chance to figure out the ballast solution. After a trip to a hardware store, two home depots, and a Dick's Sporting Goods, I settled on two 25-pound weights, one attached under each seat. Now for the fun part!

Saturday, Session 1
The first session was qualifying and apparently I'm an idiot because I could have sworn we were running the 13 layout which includes Bus Stop. Turns out we were running 25. Differences below:

Layout 13 Layout 25

View attachment 80189View attachment 80190

Well I rocket out of grapevine setting up for club corner and the BMW in front of me rockets away down the dog leg. My first thought was "Well that guy has no idea what is going on." Turns out I was the guy who had no idea what was going on. Once I recovered from that, I put down the fastest qualifier with a 1:59.3. It could have been a bit faster but I was stuck behind a TT2 M4GTS.

Session 2
This session wasn't much better. I kept tossing away a good lap in a different corner and ended up with a 1:59.6. Unfortunately for my desire to win, WRTeknica was there in their built 350z which they classed up to TT3. Justin from WRTeknica put down a great 1:58.277, putting me in second place.

Session 3
Temps went up quickly. It was a good 10-12 degrees hotter in the third session but I was determined to put it all out there. I went out send it as hard as possible, eventually having to settle for a 1:58.4 and 2nd place.

Session 4
Stayed in. it was 95 degrees and I would have just wasted tire I wanted to save for Sunday. Second place it was.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, Session 1
Had a good session where I put down a 1:59.3 again which would have put me in first if I didn't go rocketing off track at Star Mazda, disqualifying me for that session. My brakes were smoking pretty badly as I came in. Upon inspection, I found my pads were wearing much faster than expected so I needed to just drive better rather than try and cut my braking zones down too far. Armed with that knowledge, I knew I just needed to go out and set one good lap and I could call it for the day.

Session 2
Low on pads and time before my tires would start getting greasy, I had to make this session count. I didn't think I'd be comfortable going out again given the rate of my pads wearing. I went out and had a bit of trouble getting anything together until my third lap. I put down a 1:59.4 and coming out of the esses I put my passenger-side wheels in the dirt. I was determined to stay in it, pulled it back on track, didn't see any flags so I kept going. One more time around and I ended with a 1:58.999 according to my lap timer and a 1:59.006 according to my transponder. I kept it on track for a cooldown lap and pulled into impound. The TT director was standing there and I asked him if that would be a DQ. He said it would depend on how the flag station called it. I made weight, went back to camp, then ran back over to talk to the director to figure it out. He took me to the race control tower and had me sit outside for what may have been the longest two minutes of my life. No DQ, times were good. That put me in first place with conditions only getting worse and no competitors putting down any times close.

Session 3
Stayed in, treated myself with chicken strips. I would have had to accept whatever results were given because my pads were too low to comfortably go out and set a fast lap.

Session 4

Summary
View attachment 80193View attachment 80194
(Note: The first place medal and winner hat I actually picked up for my TTU win in June, but I did win Sunday so let's pretend it is for that too. I'll pick up awards for Sunday at the next event)
These mean a lot to me.

Seven years ago this car was unattainable to me. Four years ago I managed to buy it. Two year ago I started my HPDE journey. Now I'm managing to pull down victories with the support of some fantastic people. I'm going to finish out the year with as much seat time as possible and 2023 will be my bid for TT3 regional champion of the SoCal region. To any of my other friends and competitors on this site, call on me and I'll help you with anything you guys need on our cars, but I'm going to make you guys work for it out there on track ;)

Side note
I do not like Ferodo pads. I've been running DSUNOs up front and DS1.11 in the rear. I do not like the feel they give. I know some wicked fast people on them that swear by them, so they are not a bad product. With that said, I've made the swap to a Cobalt XR1/XR2 combo thanks to @Tonymustang302 and @honeybadger. I should have those this week and will have a report on them after the second MDC event on Oct 29. Until then, enjoy some track shots!
View attachment 80191

View attachment 80192
That bottom picture is 🔥🔥🔥

TT3 is gonna be intense in 2023!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal

Saturday, Session 1

Layout 13 Layout 25

View attachment 80189View attachment 80190

Session 2

Session 3

Session 4

Sunday, Session 1

Session 2

Session 3

Session 4

Summary
View attachment 80193View attachment 80194
These mean a lot to me.

Side note
View attachment 80191

View attachment 80192
Congrats Shane! Awesome read.

You should try Hawk pads, especially since they are a NASA sponsor. If you keep winning races, you'll earn free pads. That's what @PaddyPrix was doing. He said every other event or so, he'd earn a free set of pads.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California

You should try Hawk pads, especially since they are a NASA sponsor. If you keep winning races, you'll earn free pads. That's what @PaddyPrix was doing. He said every other event or so, he'd earn a free set of pads.
I definitely need to look harder at the contingencies. Anything to keep me from continually hemorrhaging money is awesome.

That bottom picture is 🔥🔥🔥

TT3 is gonna be intense in 2023!!
Right?! It's going to be a riot out there with some seriously fast cars.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Good job, i thought dq was only if you go 4 off. 2 off would be every lap cutting curbs too sharp especially if they has bus stop open lol.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Good job, i thought dq was only if you go 4 off. 2 off would be every lap cutting curbs too sharp especially if they has bus stop open lol.
It should be a DQ only if you go four off by NASA's rules, but it sounds like the flaggers have significant weight in the decision and you could be at the mercy of their call. That being said, the TT director did say if they called it as a DQ, we could discuss it. He also asked if I had video of the incident in case it was called a DQ so that's definitely something I need to be doing in every session going forward.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

Yuup. They don't care about how many are in your class, so 1st of 1 is still first. $100 for 1st, and -10 for each additional place to 5th, I believe. You do have to pay around MSRP prices, where the market on some of our TMO sponsors is about $100 less, that could just be another weekend or two. If you're pretty much track only, perhaps you'll see them last quite a bit, at least I did with my DTC-70's.

It should be a DQ only if you go four off by NASA's rules, but it sounds like the flaggers have significant weight in the decision and you could be at the mercy of their call. That being said, the TT director did say if they called it as a DQ, we could discuss it. He also asked if I had video of the incident in case it was called a DQ so that's definitely something I need to be doing in every session going forward.
Yet another reason to have a camera. If not watching your head, hands, and feet when you're trying to review things, it'll occasionally make for something pretty cool for your insterwegam.

TMO Supporting Vendors