The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 A Pale Horse Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Is there a way to hard wire a go pro to power as to avoid swapping out batteries every session?
If you haven't gutted your car fully, there are usb 2/3 cables in the armrest console box and the radio area. If you have, you can remove that female port and plug it back in to the freed wire.

If you're using a companion like Track Addict, you can turn the GPS off, which saves 10-15% battery life, and so the battery life being about 45 minutes should be enough for 2 runs if you remember to stop it (or 6+ verbal queues, just say GO PRO TURN OFF). I've had good luck with these chargers and the additional batteries they had included -- Sending a picture since they're all just putting their name on the same thing. This one wasn't bad because it shows the life remaining on the charge, so knowing a battery lasts ~45m, then even a half-charge should do, and with usb 2/3 plugs on the other side, you could just leave it in the pits plugged to your garage, laptop, or other car, and easily enough to charge a battery full over a session or so. These usually work out to about ~$10/bat, assuming that the charger is worthless. After enough use, the batteries will stretch/grow, but so will the branded ones that are like 4x the price.

1665673294817.png

Don't invest in those power brick type frame things as they add weight and with our speeds the NVH it creates from the plastic inside of plastic, it will jiggle too much, ruining the native video stabilization. (hypersmooth hero 7+)
1665673007405.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Yuup. They don't care about how many are in your class, so 1st of 1 is still first. $100 for 1st, and -10 for each additional place to 5th, I believe. You do have to pay around MSRP prices, where the market on some of our TMO sponsors is about $100 less, that could just be another weekend or two. If you're pretty much track only, perhaps you'll see them last quite a bit, at least I did with my DTC-70's.

Yet another reason to have a camera. If not watching your head, hands, and feet when you're trying to review things, it'll occasionally make for something pretty cool for your insterwegam.

I'll test out the Hawk stuff next time around then. Looking at the rules it seems I just need the decals on the four sides of the car, I don't actually need to be running the pads. I'll gladly throw the decals on and run Hawk pads next time. I am track only at this point.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
People complain about Porsche drivers, but I find these guys are worst offenders of not giving a point-by.

20221113_085701.jpg

So far the damage looks like a head gasket at minimum. I'm going to tear the engine apart and take a look. More pics to follow soon.

Also, not under warranty any longer. Anyone know the going rate of kidneys? Asking for a friend...

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
People complain about Porsche drivers, but I find these guys are worst offenders of not giving a point-by.

View attachment 81042

So far the damage looks like a head gasket at minimum. I'm going to tear the engine apart and take a look. More pics to follow soon.

Also, not under warranty any longer. Anyone know the going rate of kidneys? Asking for a friend...
I had to chuckle at the first part of your post... but the second part hurts. Hoping it's nothing terribly serious.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I have such respect for so many of you on here who build your cars, hammer on them, break them, and repeat.

@5.2 liters of democracy, I'm sorry for your troubles but I really enjoy following your adventures on this thread and I'm sure you'll be back faster than ever very soon.
I'll document it all. I'm going to be pulling the engine over the next week to see how nasty it is. At least if the block is ruined I'll end up with a sick coffee table. Can you imagine stubbing your toe on that in the night? I can't wait.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Where's the dislike button??
Sorry to hear this Shane
Yeah, I'm not going to push that like button on that either. I was hoping that you'd be able to escape with just a head gasket, but awh man, that hurts, I'm sorry. Hopefully it wasn't related to me coming within 1500 feet of it.

I'll document it all. I'm going to be pulling the engine over the next week to see how nasty it is. At least if the block is ruined I'll end up with a sick coffee table. Can you imagine stubbing your toe on that in the night? I can't wait.

aluminator?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
What's typically the culprit in these situations? Didn't get enough oil, ran lean, over rev?

It shouldn't be over-rev. Ford has an over-rev error code (P0219) which didn't show up, nor has it every fortunately. I thought I got the car off quickly enough to avoid massive damage, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Once I get it apart I should be able to figure out more, but my guess is high rpm and low oil pressure just before it fell on its face.

TMO Supporting Vendors