The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A "tell me to just give the money to charity" thread - should I buy some CHEAP (like, eBay cheap) 19x10 or so wheels to strictly autocross?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So here is my dilemma...

I've contemplated another car next year... btu that's next year.... and maybe I do or maybe I don't have money burning in my pocket for this topic....

I have my 18x10 Apex Performance wheels with my trusty Hankooks ready for some track play... HOWEVER, they aren't the best for autocross and this year, I've suddenly started having a lot of fun autocrossing again.

There's a few reports out there that for every 30 secnods of course, you're losing about .3-.4 vs the Rival S (not sure if that's the rival s or s 1.5 tbh.)

I don't think I want to go through the effort or time to install 11 inch wide wheels on the car either....

And as I price wheels and tires, honestly, there isn't much difference in the 200 tw category when it comes to what fits the 10inch wheels, and I'm finding cheapo 19x10 cheaper than 18x10... plus, I kinda like the gearing with the 19's better right now...

Anyway... is it a bad idea to buy CHEAP (like, $600 for a set of 4 on eBay CHEAP) 19x10 wheels to autocross on? On one hand, there's no "curb is track" in autocross, and the stress isn't for long, but I'm still putting 1.2 ish G on the wheels in an ideal scenario. I have run cheapo 17x9 and 18x10 stuff from LMR & SVE (basically late model resto and american racing in house stuff) on track and autocross and never cracked one or antyhing... I've bent them all to shiznit on a curb, but never cracked... but I never ran a set longer than a season before selling them off and getting something else anyway, it would appear.

Perhaps, with autocross only, the cheapo wheels can withstand all the abuse?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I 've had really good luck with Ford OEM Cobra anniversary wheels on "The Beast". They were pretty darn cheap at the time and Ford OEM designed meaning: Tough enough for 160,000 miles / 10 Michigan winters. My buddies running Mazda RX8's were running fancy OZ SuperLagerra and such, bending and destroying the crap of of them / replacing and throwing a bunch of $$$ away. Meanwhile I was 2X more aggressive jumping the curbs (Thanks to my "Secret Sauce" custom valved Bilsteins) and didn't even put a scratch on my wheels... And out-running all of them :)

After all the years of abuse they still look great and only one has an ever so slight bend on the lip from a nasty break in the rumble strip @ Rockingham, not enough to ever do anything about it.

I would check the Ford Performance Catalog / Shelby American has a nice selection at very affordable prices. May not be the lightest but anvil though and allowing you to keep piling one happy lap on top of the last.. That's really where I got most of my speed: Lot's of seat time.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I 've had really good luck with Ford OEM Cobra anniversary wheels on "The Beast". They were pretty darn cheap at the time and Ford OEM designed meaning: Tough enough for 160,000 miles / 10 Michigan winters. My buddies running Mazda RX8's were running fancy OZ SuperLagerra and such, bending and destroying the crap of of them / replacing and throwing a bunch of $$$ away. Meanwhile I was 2X more aggressive jumping the curbs (Thanks to my "Secret Sauce" custom valved Bilsteins) and didn't even put a scratch on my wheels... And out-running all of them :)

After all the years of abuse they still look great and only one has an ever so slight bend on the lip from a nasty break in the rumble strip @ Rockingham, not enough to ever do anything about it.

I would check the Ford Performance Catalog / Shelby American has a nice selection at very affordable prices. May not be the lightest but anvil though and allowing you to keep piling one happy lap on top of the last.. That's really where I got most of my speed: Lot's of seat time.
While I agree with having tough wheels for track - I'm asking about wheels that will never see anything but smooth-ish ashphault and hopefully the hardest thing they ever encounter is a cones base. :)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
While I agree with having tough wheels for track - I'm asking about wheels that will never see anything but smooth-ish ashphault and hopefully the hardest thing they ever encounter is a cones base. :)
I that case the basic Enkei / SVE's / other affordable options should be fine. If you want lighter then the Shelby American Forged wheels are a fraction of the price of other forged wheels. They are lighter than regular cast wheels which could potentially help for Autocross by reducing rotational mass / help with acceleration and braking.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Can i ask which sve wheel that is? They have one they *claim* wont fit the front... honesty, it looks like some apex copy cat
I *think* you can use a rear wheel and a 1" spacer to fit the front.

I'm running 10x18 all the way around, no spacers with the big brakes (stock for my car) mine are SVE Drifts (as I recall) and the ones in silver have been discontinued.

1618269416393.png

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Is this based on experience about the spacer?

The drift is now only available on lmr as a 9.5 wide. Also, the american muscle look alike says "drift inspired" and the offset is similar to the apex, and the spoke design/lip looks like the apex wheel. So I'm curious if the rear only is over rubbing the liners in turns which is avoidablw

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Noticed that the SVE drift was a lot tougher then the newer SVE 350 wheels. I sold my 18x10 drifts to a friend after using them for four seasons, now he is on his second season with them, Still going strong.. the newer sve wheels get bent or broken just looking at a curb.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Its an intriguing thought. Shaving sway bar links, bump stops, etc isnt mu idea of fun but... hey, it can be done. I've alrwady got a 25mm spacer and arp stufs up front so thats within the realm of possibilities...

Is this based on experience about the spacer?

The drift is now only available on lmr as a 9.5 wide. Also, the american muscle look alike says "drift inspired" and the offset is similar to the apex, and the spoke design/lip looks like the apex wheel. So I'm curious if the rear only is over rubbing the liners in turns which is avoidablw

yep, my car is in the garage right now. it's also lowered, no issues
Also all Ford Performance parts, like I've said before, they are all designed to work together

jNDpipxl.jpg

1oAowLXl.jpg

The nuclear banana is also all Ford Performance parts, but it has the long ARP wheel studs (available from OP Mustang) that allows me to put whatever I need under the car, from the Gt500 wheels, to Boss 302 wheels to the little weeny 17inch that I have to run to be legal.
nroiQS2l.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Duane,

Since you sound like you might want to do more auto crossing, and everyone who reads knows you are quite talented and competitive , I would really suggest getting a set of Apex rims from the start. You will likely decide after autocrossing for awhile that you want the lower unsprung weight , wider stance and meat on the ground, and you will find the fast guys have already gone in this direction. The Rival S 1.5 is a great choice and will fit well on an 18x11 in 315/30/18 , and of late many of the drivers are seeing really solid results from the new R660 Falken's. There was a Camaro ZL1 running a set along with an S550 Mustang at the latest Nebraska Region SCCA Autocross in Lincoln. Both are great choices and the Falken is getting some good press and results this year. I chatted with a couple of friends ( both past National Champions ) and they have gone to Falken tires and are running quickly!! Always nice to have a couple of choices and there are still the Yokes out there , and they might be the top of the heap ( A052 ). Too be frank you are not looking at tenths of a seconds with these tires over the Hankooks, you are looking at seconds on a 40-70 second course.

The Apex wheels are so reasonable that spending just a little more seems quite logical , because competitive drivers figure it out and then figure on selling those cheaper rims to step up anyway. The reason so many of us recommend going to the better set up at the start, is tires are also part of the package and one ends up getting rid of a less than optimal tire/wheel package in the end. Why not get the right set , learn on them, and spend the money once and not realistically twice!

Apex really is a reasonable alternative, considering that the CCW endurance wheels were the gold standard for wheel longevity (I say were, because since John the Wheel Man sold CCW they have been almost impossible to get) Everyone seems to be gravitating to Forgeline for out and out competition wheels. The Apex kind of meet in the middle, they are more robust than the SVE style stuff and come in more sizes. With regards to degradation, if you pay half as much for them than the top tier wheels and they last half as long, then you've met your goal. Lastly, 'll drop some pics of why forged wheels are preferred over cast for actual competition.
This BBS (and I'm not a particular fan of BBS) took a big hit on lap 1 in a 20 minute race, this was at Sebring, known for it's bumps. the wheel lasted the entire race and never lost pressure, a testament to it's construction. (forged).

ZVpDtnVl.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Another thing is you don't have to wait for a group buy currently , as the 18x11 ET 52s are on " Sale " for $386 if I remember correctly, so an entire new set is less than $1600. Hubcentric and perfect for a square set-up, but then I am a sucker for the quality support and info they provide us here on TMO!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Big fan and very happy with my 8 Apex wheels. Bought two sets of Custom Forgstars from vorshalg (for some friends) but that was like passing bricks..Not to be repeated! And forgeline must be super, but at that price am not likely to find out.

All that being said, most of my track friends down here have bought the SVE 350 wheels because of $$$... I tell them to buy a couple of spare wheels for the inevitable failures.... So far its about 25% dead per year!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel