The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A "tell me to just give the money to charity" thread - should I buy some CHEAP (like, eBay cheap) 19x10 or so wheels to strictly autocross?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Had a set of SVE drifts years back , they were not hub centric and those stupid plastic rings to snug them up were ridiculous -- they broke at every race. When you figure the safety value of the Apex over the SVE drifts , and the higher quality of fit and finish, it is a smart money move in my estimation. We sold Forgelines ( at Woodhouse Auto Family ) for years and they are a phenomenal wheel, and they would be my first choice if I was seriously active. Nice to have both them and Apex supporting TMO.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Had a set of SVE drifts years back , they were not hub centric and those stupid plastic rings to snug them up were ridiculous -- they broke at every race. When you figure the safety value of the Apex over the SVE drifts , and the higher quality of fit and finish, it is a smart money move in my estimation. We sold Forgelines ( at Woodhouse Auto Family ) for years and they are a phenomenal wheel, and they would be my first choice if I was seriously active. Nice to have both them and Apex supporting TMO.
SVE Drift not hubcentric.... maybe you had a early one?? Mine were from 2014 and were hubcentric.... Not that I am saying your prehubcentric or anything like that.....😀

I have had several sets of SVE 350 19x11 wheels and have autocrossed the heck out of them with no issue. They were on the car when I broke a ball joint and another incident where my strut rotated and the sway bar mount bit into the wheel. No wheel damage from the first, and I replaced the second one just because it was cheap to do so. These weigh 26#, FYI, the same as an equiv. Forgestar.

I picked up a set of P51 19x11.5's last fall for use with my Hoosiers and they also seem fine, but I only have one two day event on them so far. They are light as advertised, 22#.

DaveW

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have had several sets of SVE 350 19x11 wheels and have autocrossed the heck out of them with no issue. They were on the car when I broke a ball joint and another incident where my strut rotated and the sway bar mount bit into the wheel. No wheel damage from the first, and I replaced the second one just because it was cheap to do so. These weigh 26#, FYI, the same as an equiv. Forgestar.

I picked up a set of P51 19x11.5's last fall for use with my Hoosiers and they also seem fine, but I only have one two day event on them so far. They are light as advertised, 22#.

DaveW
The price is great and its a good looking wheel. Glad they are working out for you but have seen LOTS of busted wheels out of the 7 or so sets we brought down. Most of them have been damaged on the street.

The price is great and its a good looking wheel. Glad they are working out for you but have seen LOTS of busted wheels out of the 7 or so sets we brought down. Most of them have been damaged on the street.
On the SVE? I am not arguing but this kind of goes down the same old wheel strength rabbit hole. What was happening when they were bent?

I just put 4 new GM wheels on a C7 vette today, all 4 OEM bent from an expansion joint.

And we have all seen the broken Forgestars and Apex and even Forgeline.

My point being is that there is stuff happening in the street that will bend any wheel, no matter the brand.

And track use, all bets are off. If you are using a lightweight wheel, we all know they are wear items but many people do not.

From what I have seen of the SVE35019x11, I am perfectly comfortable with them on the street and for autocross. I would not track them and I have no idea on other sizes or types. (all of mine were hub centric with no rings, FYI)

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I have the same AMR 18x10 wheels for my street 320tw Conti ECS 285/40. I run 3mm spacers to give me just a little more clearance.

I used to run these in HPDE until last year when I went with the Apex EC-7 ET43 18x10 and Falken RT615K+ 295/40. The current EC-7s are ET40.

The AMRs held up fine at my intermediate level.

Saw a 2013 Grabber Blue GT while I was out in the Boss Thursday.....You don't see that many Stangs anymore...................everybody today has a SUV or something similar................

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I'm running 10x18 all the way around, no spacers with the big brakes (stock for my car) mine are SVE Drifts (as I recall) and the ones in silver have been discontinued.

View attachment 64316

Well those RIMS must look funny mounted at those dimensions. :)

Still looking for my next set and Apex seem to be the best option for 18x11s. I like the price of 19x11s, but the extra cost in rubber seems to push me back to the 18s.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel