The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A052's 295 vs 315 on 11" wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm currently running 295's on 10.5" wheels. This seems to pretty a pretty good combo at least for autocross. I bought a set of 11" wheels so I can move up to a 315. Now I'm wondering if a 295 on the 11" wheel might be the better combo. Part of me thinks getting as much rubber as possible is the way to go. Anyone have any experience?

Just tell me I'm stupid and need 315's.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
It's not a straight-forward choice in my book. If you're using 11.5 or 12" rims, then knock yourself out. If you've only got 10.5 or 11" rims, then I think it's a little less obvious of a choice. At some point, you start to weigh max grip and heat capacity versus response characteristics. When you pinch the sidewalls of the tires by putting them on too narrow of a rim, they start reacting strangely in transients. The poison is in the dose. On the flip side, if you put a tire on a rim which is a little too wide, you can make a tire a little sportier. The angle in the sidewall will give it a little extra lateral stiffness, which is nice, but generally a trick for when you're limited on tire width.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It's not a straight-forward choice in my book. If you're using 11.5 or 12" rims, then knock yourself out. If you've only got 10.5 or 11" rims, then I think it's a little less obvious of a choice. At some point, you start to weigh max grip and heat capacity versus response characteristics. When you pinch the sidewalls of the tires by putting them on too narrow of a rim, they start reacting strangely in transients. The poison is in the dose. On the flip side, if you put a tire on a rim which is a little too wide, you can make a tire a little sportier. The angle in the sidewall will give it a little extra lateral stiffness, which is nice, but generally a trick for when you're limited on tire width.
I think it depends if you want to get the perfect fit, or the better lap time. The Yokohamas list 18x10.5 as the minimum for the 315's. At least with R7's in 315 I found the feel every bit as good as 295's on the 18x11 wheels, just with more grip. But then again, have seen lap records set with 295/30-19 tires on 19x9.5 wheels, not ideal, but still fast.....(fellow had Hoosiers ok to run that size on those rims)

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
Honestly none of this really means anything since you already have the 11s. Just run those.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I'm specifically asking about 295 vs 315 yoks on a 11" wheel.
I guess the answer is specifically 315 is better in any make. You have the 18x11 wheels so its kind of a non problem. maybe if you were only with the 18x10.5 wheels it might be harder to answer.... (would still go with 315)

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I guess the answer is specifically 315 is better in any make. You have the 18x11 wheels so its kind of a non problem. maybe if you were only with the 18x10.5 wheels it might be harder to answer.... (would still go with 315)
I guess the reason I ask is because the 295's are slightly pinched on the 10.5s and I always thought they would be a better fit on a 11. I also see people putting the 315's on 12's. This is where my line of thinking came from. Just putting the 315's on my 11's is probably just a no brainer and I'm overthinking it. No way would I put a 315 yoke on a 10.5. I know it's been done but it looks like a balloon.

TMO Supporting Vendors