The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ABS bleeding tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was doing some brake work and got air into the ABS, my local tire shop had a ABS bleeder tool, took about 5 minutes to hook it up, run it and out the door. They did it twice but it still did not feel right, like just 1 air bubble stuck in the ABS unit. I took the car out on a rainy day and did a few full panic ABS pulsating stops at slow speeds, took care of the problem. Might be worth a try???

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Slightly off topic but if I install new Stoptech front calipers and bleed all 4 brakes, am I going to have an issue with the ABS sensor?
More then likely not at all... Specially if you do the change in one day and dont leave it dripping by gravity for a week!
I replaced my front calipers & S/S braided lines on all 4, had everything apart for a week while I custom painted all the calipers. I just capped the hard lines with rubber caps to prevent fluid out/air in, bled brakes, no problems

Last edited:
Does the Forscan program work with the S197s? I used the Forscan program + OBDLink MX and the ABS bleed procedure only took a few minutes on my S550. Have to do a bleed from the calipers after, but the ABS bleed procedure is all done from the driver seat. All-in cost was $60 for the OBD adapter.

I just did the ABS bleed today on my 2013 Boss 302. It worked like a champ. Funny thing is I had the scanner in my desk drawer for the past two years and just now used it for the first time today.

I am now in need of having to do this. Any idea how to set that software so I can do an ABS bleed? I have the ELM327 adapter and I think I have Forscan properly downloaded.

It was super easy. Make sure you have all the stuff you need for a normal brake bleed.

1) Jack the car up and take off al the wheels.
2) Get your laptop and ELM scanner and plug it in.
3) Fire up ForScan
4) Plug in the ELM Scanner to the OBD-II port
5) If you have a scanner with a switch flip the switch to the H/S setting.
6) Turn the car to "Run" but do not turn the engine on.
7) Click on the Wrench Icon in ForScan.
8) Click on the ABS bleed setting.
9) You'll be prompted to press on the brake pedal. Press and hold.
10) Click "OK" at the prompt.
11) The system will cycle and you'll feel the pedal sink. The system will buzz and you'll feel the system actuating. Keep your foot pressed.
12) When the system says it's finished, Take your foot off the brake.
13) Perform a normal brake bleed.

Ok so I ended up buying the ELM327 adapter on Amazon and I just downloaded FORScan V2.3.33beta. Nothing happens. The OBD adapter doesn't feel like it mates completely with my port.....seems loose. When I turn the ignition to run there is no connection with FORScan. I flipped the switch to HS and hit the wrench icon. Seems like it should be perfect. Seems like it's a good FORScan download. Did I have to register in some way?

make sure there's a good mating with the port, there should be some sort of indication lights on the ELM327. Does the PC see the adapter"
That's the problem......the ELM adapter has 5-6 lights and when I plug in to the OBD port only 1-2 are lit and the rest don't change. It really doesn't seem the ELM is the right shape for my OBD for some reason. It doesn't slide all the way up onto the male end.....there is resistence. My laptop has FORScan open and the bottom indicator never lights to say there is any recognition of a connection. It has to be the adapter. I guess for another $20 it might be worth trying a different brand

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
For those of you that used the device to bleed the and system:

did you put your battery on a charger or tender while doing so? Just wondering if I am required to buy a tender right now to do the bleed via forscan

For those of you that used the device to bleed the and system:

did you put your battery on a charger or tender while doing so? Just wondering if I am required to buy a tender right now to do the bleed via forscan

I did.

I also use the tender to top up the battery before every track day. Dunno if it makes any sense but my thinking is since alternators go out somewhat frequently on these maybe a full battery will tax the alternator less and possibly extend life?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I did.

I also use the tender to top up the battery before every track day. Dunno if it makes any sense but my thinking is since alternators go out somewhat frequently on these maybe a full battery will tax the alternator less and possibly extend life?
Great. Thank you. I will try and get one tomorrow. I drive my car somewhat often so I never had a reason to get one.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There's a ton of parasitic draw on batteries on all new cars including the 'stang. In the 2-3 weeks between track days my battery would drop massively to the point that it wouldn't crank. Keeping a charger on it all the time is not necessarily a good idea either. Now when I get done a track day I put the battery on the charger until it's topped up, then the charger is removed and the ground is disconnected. That stopped killing batteries for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel