The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ABS , EPAS, and BCM functional without stock ECM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don’t know anything about canbus operation hence this question. I’m curious if anyone knows if functionality of the EPAS, ABS, and BCM (door key, headlight, tail light, etc functionality) still works or can be made to easily function still without the stock ECM in the car? I’m contemplating an engine swap and it would be really nice if all these parts kept working and all I needed was a standalone for the engine.

As much as I love the light front end of my Ecoboost it’s just such a heavy car it feels like it needs more motor. Or I just want more. So been thinking real hard about an LS3. And if you grab one from a Camaro it’s got a TR6060.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I wondered if you were thinking Chebby for a replacement. Makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. If my 'yote ever dies I'd be seriously looking at going that route. Great power from a small compact package and probably get better handling to boot. Good resource with Vorshlag on the site as they've done a few of those swaps, though I'm guessing that you know that already....if you do go that route you have to do a thread on it here.

Vorshlag confirms that ABS system operates normally without the stock ECU. Beyond that no answers to the below because they are building race cars that get a full re-wire.

Thinking about this more I’ve come up with other components and functionalities I might need to trouble shoot if I do this.

Does anyone know how to determine (via wiring diagram analysis or otherwise) what components rely on canbus data for functionality?

Charging system: our cars charging system is managed by the BCM but I found a thread on M6G that confirms unplugging the current sensors basically reverts the system to a non-managed operation with no apparent side effects.

Push button start: will this work without the stock ECU? If not I’d need to replace for a simpler switch.

Door locks and key fob: hoping fully managed by the BCM so not affected.

HVAC? I’ve deleted A/C so don’t need to worry about that but a heater would still be nice.

Radio: something to drown out the gear whine would also be nice.

I’ve also been thinking to unplug my stock ECU and test some of this functionality. Anyone wanna take a guess if this will put the car into some type of fault mode that would require Forscan/ids resets?

TMO Supporting Vendors