The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ABS problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Atlanta Georgia
I have a 2016 Mustang GT on slicks that I time trial race and I ran into a problem the last race. The two front brakes locked up and put flat spots in my slicks ruining my day and tires. I’m trying to diagnose what might be wrong with ABS system in order to do that. Traction control is fully off by unplugging up front. I checked fuses and changed wheel sensors up front and ABS light is still on. I even plugged the traction control back in and cleared the codes and it’s still on. No airbag light is on like in some other cases and it’s not throwing any codes. Anyone run into this problem? I’d like to hear your opinions. Thanks

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Atlanta Georgia
I think you got a flat spot
cause removing the plug next to the filter removes abs. So you just ..lock the tires probably :)
So I should plug it back in and get a better tune? Traction control cuts in and out when it’s plugged in and racing with slicks.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Atlanta Georgia
Did you pay someone to dyno tune it or really dig into a good race tune? I’m running crappy VMP tune that barely has it running. Lol
Have you looked into getting 2018 FP350S ABS MODULE?

Did you pay someone to dyno tune it or really dig into a good race tune? I’m running crappy VMP tune that barely has it running. Lol
Have you looked into getting 2018 FP350S ABS MODULE?
My car is tuned by OZ TUNING.
Came from palm beach dyno.
I tune engine (e85) and little the trans. (10speed) cause when i paddle shifting i have delayed otherwise

Never tuned the ABS. I might look in another module soon. Although i dont use abs a lot.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I emailed a ford performance engineer on ABS issues and upgrades. I’ll let you know what I hear back.
Am pretty sure he is going to say do not unplug the ABS. The traction controls on the s197 are always going to give you a slower lap time but will save your ass while your learning. Turning it off by pressing the button for +7 seconds will only last until the TC thinks your going to crash.....(going fast), then it tries to save you by turning back on....

pretty neat when you think about it. But horrible when your on a fast lap and it decides you need saving.

Did you check for codes? edit, nevermind, had to re-read the last line. You say you cleared codes, but there were no codes in your last line? What were the codes you cleared?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Atlanta Georgia
Am pretty sure he is going to say do not unplug the ABS. The traction controls on the s197 are always going to give you a slower lap time but will save your ass while your learning. Turning it off by pressing the button for +7 seconds will only last until the TC thinks your going to crash.....(going fast), then it tries to save you by turning back on....

pretty neat when you think about it. But horrible when your on a fast lap and it decides you need saving.
Yes it is only fighting with me and making me slower. I’m guessing a good tune will turn it off and not mess with ABS. Also the codes I cleared are intake manifold runner codes because i have it in the locked position.

Yes it is only fighting with me and making me slower. I’m guessing a good tune will turn it off and not mess with ABS. Also the codes I cleared are intake manifold runner codes because i have it in the locked position.
Were you reading the ABS module? Different code readers do different things and some only read one module at a time.Based on still having an ABS light, but not showing codes, it sounds like to me like you were potentially reading just the PCM?

AJ, I think he confirmed that he had unplugged the ABS to turn the TC off.

he unplugged the dyno plug. That turns off advancetrac, supposed to
Leave abs functional but I’ve not tried it myself. At any rate though Aj’s comment is still valid did the OP’s scanner read codes in the PCM only or also the ABS module.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Atlanta Georgia
Were you reading the ABS module? Different code readers do different things and some only read one module at a time.Based on still having an ABS light, but not showing codes, it sounds like to me like you were potentially reading just the PCM?
What’s a good module reader to buy? I’m just going off my sct x4 device. I’m unfamiliar with the correct one I need to read everything on the car.

For the money, Forscan. Get an obdlink adapted and $10 for Forscan and you can read and clear all codes in all modules, monitor PID’s, and even program some modules if you’re so inclined.

What’s a good module reader to buy? I’m just going off my sct x4 device. I’m unfamiliar with the correct one I need to read everything on the car
We've used some generic ones and then look up the code numbers in the manual as the description from the reader might not be 100% accurate. Also have used a high level Matco scanner as well. Usually you need to select which module it scans at one time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel