The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AC Compressor Belt Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the trick to installing the belt? I've seen the procedures in the manual but there is no room to get the belt behind the crank pulley. At this point I'm ready to just remove the belt completely in order to finish up the header install.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Cruiserfx said:
What's the trick to installing the belt? I've seen the procedures in the manual but there is no room to get the belt behind the crank pulley. At this point I'm ready to just remove the belt completely in order to finish up the header install.

That is a tough one as you have found out there is no adjustment possible. I unbolted the AC compressor, (3 bolts), and hung the compressor aside to install my headers, then I realigned the compressor with belt on pulley, applied blue locktite and finally got it reinstalled.

Also used a 20" crows foot pry bar to move the compressor in place to be able to start the mounting bolts for the compressor. It took me an hour to reinstall the AC compressor. Note: make sure the ribbed belt is fully installed on the clutch pulley and not off by one rib.

You'll be happy with headers on your U-Code.
302 Hi Pro

I believe the belt is a stretch fit. The is a tool that allows you install the belt. Gates part number 91030

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mrB5mH3qBo

image.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors