The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AC Delete

Hey guys,
Hope all is well with all of you. I have used the AC in my 2012 BOSS less than 6 times. I'm almost at 19k miles and will be having some major engine work done later in the winter.
I am seriously considering deleting the AC.

If any of you have done it let me know your thoughts. I won't miss it so for me its the pros of less weight and rotating mass.
work TBD:
Prothane mounts
Clutch
APHB
Roush UCA
new wheels and sticky tires
(in debate) full O/R exhaust after headers/keeping the quad setup
Also looking for suggestions on a adj. bar
etc

Best,
Rob
 
To get the full weight reduction requires removing the evaporator. That is probably 50% of the weight and not as easy as it is behind the dash. That also means giving up heat, which for me is not an issue as the car is parked all winter.
 
817
439
I am going to take a little bit of a contradictory view point. If this is a street car and you are not having heat management issues, I would not remove the A/C. I realize you may not use it, but removing the A/C will devalue the car and make it much harder to sell. On a street driven vehicle, you really will not notice the weight reduction from a performance standpoint.

Now, if you road race the vehicle or are a competitive drag racer, removing the A/C starts to make more sense.

The primary reason I removed my A/C was to make room for additional engine and transmission coolers mounted in front of the radiator.
 

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
2,009
439
Southeast
LPH:

I would not worry too much about removing the evap., unless you're heading in a Track Car only direction.

You could remove the compressor, condenser, receiver/dryer and the a/c lines and the stretch compressed drive belt. This would improve cooling and save some weight. It will be easier to add additional cooler cores as well.

However, you might use your A/C more than you think, as every time you use the defrost system the system uses a mix of cold and hot air to maximize defrost performance. (A/C cycles on in defrost mode)

Good luck with your Boss,
302 Hi Pro
 
Just my 2 cents.
If the car is a street car, I would not remove it!
If the car is only 100% track car then remove it. Hell..remove everything that's not needed for weight savings at that point.
I guess what I'm saying is...if you keep the car registered with plates on it, I would leave it alone.
I would never remove an item like that unless it was only for the track and points were that important.
if you are going for a 100% track car, there is so much more that needs to be striped to save weight.
I just feel like your making a mistake. You have a bad ass street boss with what 650hp or more and the top of the line boost.

Your car Your Choice.
Dose not matter what the BMO members feel. Including me.
Start a poll!
 
I'm currently over 650 rwhp and my Procharger is jammed in tight. I need all the cooling, space and weight reduction i can get my hands on. I've actually never turned on the defrost but evap will stay. I even deleted the wiper fluid tank and lines(car has never seen rain) 8)
Unfortunately i am currently having heat management issues, thats what started the discussion with my mechanic. What Hi Pro said, i'll be removing those bits as it is reversible. We've installed and cataloged everything that was modified and i have ALL oe parts.....damn that pile is getting BIG.
I really appreciate all the input and still have a pretty large to-do list before i have to make that call.

i'll let you guys know. My mechanic is recovering from back surgery so that put the kabosh on my stuff for another month at least...damnit
I'm still deciding on which adj. PHB to get as well. Under extreme accel, i'm waddling in the rear end. That'll give you a 9.5 on the sphincter factor.
Best,
Rob
 
LP Heaven said:
I'm currently over 650 rwhp and my Procharger is jammed in tight. I need all the cooling, space and weight reduction i can get my hands on. I've actually never turned on the defrost but evap will stay. I even deleted the wiper fluid tank and lines(car has never seen rain) 8)
Unfortunately i am currently having heat management issues, thats what started the discussion with my mechanic. What Hi Pro said, i'll be removing those bits as it is reversible. We've installed and cataloged everything that was modified and i have ALL oe parts.....damn that pile is getting BIG.
I really appreciate all the input and still have a pretty large to-do list before i have to make that call.

i'll let you guys know. My mechanic is recovering from back surgery so that put the kabosh on my stuff for another month at least...damnit
I'm still deciding on which adj. PHB to get as well. Under extreme accel, i'm waddling in the rear end. That'll give you a 9.5 on the sphincter factor.
Best,
Rob

Rob, all I can say is....Dam
I followed your build and had no idea you had such bad heat issuies. you have to do whats best for your boss.
two quick question:
how is the MT-82 holding up to that kind of power and would you do it again knowing what you know.
 
superhero said:
Rob, all I can say is....Dam
I followed your build and had no idea you had such bad heat issuies. you have to do whats best for your boss.
two quick question:
how is the MT-82 holding up to that kind of power and would you do it again knowing what you know.

Yea man - the heat issue is just bad enough for me to do something about it. The trans is holding up fine on normal and spirited drives. I get clutch on the floor and lockouts frequent enough in full boost and WOT shifts to warrant a new clutch(sitting in a box ready to go w/ new lines and a flywheel). I actually love the shifter. I don't get any nibbles or grinds, and as long as my seat is properly positioned and my shifts are precise, i'm good 90% of the time-smooth as silk.
I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have more power than the cars setup can handle, so i'm all about supporting that power now. Ever since Procharger got me all squared away, the Boss has been tip-top and i'm still on their canned tune.
 

DOM529

302 in 416
Just reading your thread and WOW ! 650hp.
It seems like you've crossed the point of keeping stock with mods so you may as well go full out and lose the unnecessary options to gain your cooling and weight advantages.

BTW, mine is stock and I'm getting wheel hop when punching it out of the hole... how can I fix this?
Thanks and good luck with your decision.
 

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
2,009
439
Southeast
Dom529:

Usually more robust rear LCA's help reduce or eliminate wheel hop. Include the Relo brackets if lowering springs are installed.

Also, Roush makes a nice UCA Kit that is quiet and is advertised by them as an Anti Rear Wheel Hop kit.

I'm sure other BMO members will let you know what worked for them too.

302 Hi Pro
 

DOM529

302 in 416
302 Hi Pro said:
Dom529:

Usually more robust rear LCA's help reduce or eliminate wheel hop. Include the Relo brackets if lowering springs are installed.

Also, Roush makes a nice UCA Kit that is quiet and is advertised by them as an Anti Rear Wheel Hop kit.

I'm sure other BMO members will let you know what worked for them too.

302 Hi Pro

Looking to get Eibach's lowering kit and will consider these options.
Thanks
 

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
2,009
439
Southeast
If you lower the rear by more than a 1/2" or so, you'll also need to install an adjustable PB to keep the live axle centered in the chassis.
302 Hi Pro
 
I have a fox body street / strip car that has the ac and heater box removed. The car would be much more enjoyable to drive on the street if it had AC. Summers can get hot and humid in my region, so I find myself not wanting to drive the car on really hot days.
 
ArizonaBOSS said:
@LP Heaven

Rob, did you decide which way you want to go?

yupyup ! It's going to come out. Spoke to my mechanic today and hes about another 1-2 weeks out. Just finishing his back rehab.
So basically the next few bits are
Clutch/flywheel/lines
Motor mounts
OPGs
AC Delete
Rear seat delete
Gauges - either pillar or Watson racing center console ( i don't use the radio either ) ;)
Full checkup since i'll have alot of lift time
In discussion with Lund for a tune.
In discussion about the wheels and rubber. I love the Boss wagon wheels and don't wanna give em up so were looking at best options. MPSS handle great but outside my HP spec. Funny thing is my tire choice is at the top on my mod list so since October i've mostly been in touring mode on the i-1 (3#s of boost). If i run in comp mode on a chilly day i have to pedal it until 4th.
 
let the winter mods begin. It was a beautiful day, mechanic is healthy again so i get 1/2 way to his shop (only 15 minutes away) and 3 cars in front of me, the brine mobile pulls out and starts spraying the road. I had pure freakin murder on my mind. Friday is going to be near 50 so i,ll wash that shiznit off then. I drive my Boss like it was meant to, but i'm also a giant douche when it comes to my paint job and having a showroom looking Boss.

20160112_121851_zpsrp8ucdjp.jpg

20160112_121946_zps7gekowc1.jpg
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top