The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AC: Fix it or junk it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Sweet info. Do you have oil temp dat Gary? I am running Summit Point and it will most likely be 90 degrees and 80% humidity at 1100 ft elevation, so a fair hot weather test for no condenser setup. I will post oil, coolant, trans and differential temp data. All systems will have fresh fluids in them for this test.
Steve
Sorry Steve, no data just visual scanning of my Aeroforce gauge while in the straightaways. I have an oil temp sender going to the gauge and using OBDII ECT data (which we believe is CHT). Elevation at RA is about 950 ft and the temps were high 70s with very high humidity although I'm not sure exactly what percentage. I do know I was sweating like a pig.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Ran Mid Ohio today without the condenser -- think it's worth at least 10 degrees. Ambient was 88 with 70% humidity and I only once peaked at 275 for oil before the cooler. Coolant max was 220. Earlier this year on the same track in less humid/hot weather I had to back off at 280 on the oil.......

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
FYI - Dealer just called me. My refrigerant was low. They pressure tested the system (found no leaks), evacuated it, pulled it down and refilled. Dude says you could hang meat in there it is so cold!

PS - My warranty expires today :(

JScheier said:
FYI - Dealer just called me. My refrigerant was low. They pressure tested the system (found no leaks), evacuated it, pulled it down and refilled. Dude says you could hang meat in there it is so cold!

PS - My warranty expires today :(
Lucky you gor it done today then ;)

Tulsa, OK
Thanks to all those who posted tips on pulling the AC. Centri5.0 and I pulled everything out of my car today in about 3 hours. Waiting on the plug set from eBay that BlackBoss posted to wrap up the project. Also looking into something to cover the open area left by the condenser and to direct air to the radiator. Maybe some aluminum tape will do...

roadhouse said:
Thanks to all those who posted tips on pulling the AC. Centri5.0 and I pulled everything out of my car today in about 3 hours. Waiting on the plug set from eBay that BlackBoss posted to wrap up the project. Also looking into something to cover the open area left by the condenser and to direct air to the radiator. Maybe some aluminum tape will do...
Just in time for the Roundup :D

you guys are in a league of your own. True die hard racers in search of that extra edge out on the track and will not stop at anything. I could never do that to my Boss. Its not so bad doing this in a GT or 5.0.
But a limited production Boss, you have bigger balls than most. I know it can be put back but I could never go that far. I hope this is the answer on cooling issuies that you guys have been in search of.
Am I correct that its all about cooling? Good luck to all in search of a cooler running car.

I just have one question.
would installing electric fans and water wetter that you can run by thermostat or the flick of a switch be enough to keep the Boss cool. Or am I way off...

boss man said:
you guys are in a league of your own. True die hard racers in search of that extra edge out on the track and will not stop at anything. I could never do that to my Boss. Its not so bad doing this in a GT or 5.0.
But a limited production Boss, you have bigger balls than most. I know it can be put back but I could never go that far. I hope this is the answer on cooling issuies that you guys have been in search of.
Am I correct that its all about cooling? Good luck to all in search of a cooler running car.

I just have one question.
would installing electric fans and water wetter that you can run by thermostat or the flick of a switch be enough to keep the Boss cool. Or am I way off...
It was worth another 10* for me and for engine life that's a big deal. I don't think cooling fans can't keep up with 100+ MPH track speeds so it's really allowing enough air to hit the radiator that's the issue. That's why the two biggest factors for water are a higher flowing grille and removing the condenser. Also an air-to-oil cooler significantly reduces oil temps.

Tulsa, OK
cloud9 said:
It was worth another 10* for me and for engine life that's a big deal. I don't think cooling fans can't keep up with 100+ MPH track speeds so it's really allowing enough air to hit the radiator that's the issue. That's why the two biggest factors for water are a higher flowing grille and removing the condenser. Also an air-to-oil cooler significantly reduces oil temps.

^yup. The weight reduction is just icing on the cake

I'll make it back to the roundup again one of these days but not going to work out wi my schedule this year :-\. Jealous of all those going!

JScheier said:
Okay... so my question... three of you had your refrigerant/oil recovered and it was pretty much non-existent. Where did it go?

A seized compressor isn't going to make the refrigerant disappear... and it would make your belt non-existent ;)

Any signs of refrigerant leak? Usually there is a dye included to assist with locating.

I'm asking because I turned my AC on at Hallett (it was hot as hell) and it didn't blow cold, cool or any other chilling word. I like my AC and plan on keeping it (just in case my tow rig breaks and I have to drive it home or a competitors car breaks and he/she needs a ride home).

Looking for places to start (I'll hook up my gauges this weekend).

FWIW, my compressor spins freely with no added resistance or noise. I'm guessing low refrigerant is keeping the compressor from turning on (low pressure switch) <or> one of the switches went out.
I have a 2011 Mustang GT and it broke the A/C evaporator , also on a GT of a friend. I have to take out the dash out for repair it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel