The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AC: Fix it or junk it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
Surgery was successful. It's out. It took us about 2-1/2 hours total. I'll try to relate what I can, but I was more an extra set of hands. Before we started I pulled the radiator cover, air box and intake tube. We ended up putting the front on jack stands and removing the plastic shroud behind the splitter. Had to take out the 6 splitter bolts at the back but not the entire splitter.

20140602_175053_zpsbc3e1d1f.jpg

We had to drop the oil cooler to get enough slack in the oil hoses to squeeze the condenser out the bottom.

20140602_181025_zps8ea25c3e.jpg

Compressor had several bolts, one a/c line and an electrical connector to remove.

20140602_181245_zps861340ad.jpg

We ended up disconnecting the wiring harness from the PCM and the ground wires off the battery relo kit to gain enough room to fish out this long line.

20140602_184140_zpsd3deaae3.jpg

Here are all the parts. I haven't gotten around to weighing them yet, but I would guess 20-25 lbs. total.

20140602_185804_zpsbb1218ba.jpg

We pulled the rubber gaskets off the condenser and zip tied them to the radiator overlapped by the two larger gaskets that block off airflow so it all goes to the radiator. The push pins weren't long enough to go through the radiator like they did the thinner condenser.

20140602_181820_zpsd95582d6.jpg

20140602_183546_zpsf3b4d862.jpg

20140602_190220_zps64adb238.jpg

I forgot to take a picture after they were installed and don't feel like going back out and pulling the radiator cover right now :p

Thanks to Gary for the tips.

Took me more like 3 1/2 hours. Would be less if I did it again. In addition to Gary's tips, I'd add the following:

• I had to loosen the radiator support mounts at the top to flex the radiator rearwards to drop the condenser -- maybe because I have the thicker 302S radiator
  • The compressor is surrounded by wiring and a wiring bracket. You need to remove the wiring from the bracket, by carefully cutting the tape and extract the steel bracket that is secured by nuts on top of the compressor mounting studs.
  • Not sure how Gary got the belt off in one piece -- it's behind the accessory drive belt -- I cut mine ;)
  • Although all of the compressor mounting studs are accessible without removing other components, the rearmost one is a pain -- not enough space to get a socket on it, and a ratcheting wrench from the rear takes patience...... ::)
  • I had to remove the cross member brace to extract the compressor -- there wasn't enough space between the sway bar/steering rack and the brace to drop it out
Hope this helps. Will update with any alternatives on plugging the firewall ports when I get to it tomorrow....

Thanks for filling in the blanks Nick. We were thinking about cutting it, but decided to remove the accessory belt to get the AC belt off in one piece. Not likely it will ever go back in, but decided to save it nonetheless.

Black Boss said:
Hope this helps. Will update with any alternatives on plugging the firewall ports when I get to it tomorrow....

OK figured out how to seal the ports. Bought these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLASTIC-HOLE-PLUG-CAP-SET-/131106980089?hash=item1e8695c0f9&vxp=mtr

Two different sizes fitted perfectly:

IMG_1173Medium_zps87d385cd.jpg

I then made up a small aluminum plate and secured to the stud to to snug in the hole plugs and prevent them from vibrating loose:

IMG_1181Medium_zpsf1b6163d.jpg

Used a lot of the remaining plugs to seal the pipes/condenser and compressor for storage.......

I was a little worried about pounding my radiator with tire turds and rocks at 160 MPH next weekend at RA so I installed that sheet of Nomex Pete talked me into buying. I had to pull the radiator shroud, hood latch and drop the oil cooler to squeeze it in there. I used the full sheet and wedged it between the rubber gaskets that direct airflow over the radiator. I went out and tested it a bit on some back highways and didn't notice any adverse cooling effects, but of course couldn't simulate track conditions. I'm hoping Pete's right that the air goes right through!

20140619_202216_zpsee5eb0fb.jpg

20140619_202227_zps226df94b.jpg

20140619_202240_zpsb1f09c6d.jpg

20140619_210528_zpseb9aa0ca.jpg

Good move on the Nomex. I noticed no reduction in cooling with it in place, although with the 948 cooler in most of the radiator is protected and the Setrab fins are more robust than the radiator, which in turn is better than the condenser.......

Black Boss said:
Good move on the Nomex. I noticed no reduction in cooling with it in place, although with the 948 cooler in most of the radiator is protected and the Setrab fins are more robust than the radiator, which in turn is better than the condenser.......
Yea I noticed the oil cooler fins are pretty stout. Did you trim your Nomex or use the whole sheet? It doesn't look like it can go anywhere as it's wedged in there pretty good.

Black Boss said:
The zip tie kit is very good. Not your regular zip ties, basically a straight through tie with big washers on both ends.
I can see how they would come in handy on a sprint car where the radiator sits out front completely exposed.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Okay... so my question... three of you had your refrigerant/oil recovered and it was pretty much non-existent. Where did it go?

A seized compressor isn't going to make the refrigerant disappear... and it would make your belt non-existent ;)

Any signs of refrigerant leak? Usually there is a dye included to assist with locating.

I'm asking because I turned my AC on at Hallett (it was hot as hell) and it didn't blow cold, cool or any other chilling word. I like my AC and plan on keeping it (just in case my tow rig breaks and I have to drive it home or a competitors car breaks and he/she needs a ride home).

Looking for places to start (I'll hook up my gauges this weekend).

FWIW, my compressor spins freely with no added resistance or noise. I'm guessing low refrigerant is keeping the compressor from turning on (low pressure switch) <or> one of the switches went out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel