The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AC: Fix it or junk it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The A/C on my Boss isn't cooling anymore. I assume it's just low on refrigerant, but I'm debating whether to spend the money to have it recharged, or is it just time to remove it. I think if I get the condenser and all the lines out it sheds about 50 lbs? I am confident it would significantly improve airflow to the radiator and correspondingly improve cooling. For those that have done it, how difficult is it? What all comes out? I am pretty sure it runs on a separate belt so all you have to do is remove the belt and no idler pulley is needed.

I typically just run windows down and no A/C (which might be the problem.....lack of use) but I do use it maybe 10 days a year during the peak of the summer heat and humidity.

Re: Fix it or junk it?

If you're only using it maybe ten days a year dump it. But I don't think it's quite that easy to remove. I could be confusing that with removing the heater core though. Drew did in on his Boss 302 to Boss 302S conversion so hopefully he'll have some insight on this.

BLAZN BOSS

defrosting the windshield becomes problematic too..........the defrost cycles the ac to help. its your car, but is it worth it really?...........

Gary, considering how little you use your A/C, and as much as you track your car -- and as seriously eff-ing fast as you are -- dumping 50 lbs off the front of the car and improving cooling to boot, all basically for free... DONE! You can always reinstall it if you change you mind.

BLAZN BOSS said:
defrosting the windshield becomes problematic too..........the defrost cycles the ac to help. its your car, but is it worth it really?...........
I guess the defrost could be a consideration on a muggy day, but if the A/C's gone I would have the windows down so shouldn't have a steamed up windshield...unless caught in the rain. Worth it? Another good question, but my car while still very streetable is definitely a track-oriented car and a future buyer would need to want it for that purpose.

dabossinne said:
Gary, considering how little you use your A/C, and as much as you track your car -- and as seriously eff-ing fast as you are -- dumping 50 lbs off the front of the car and improving cooling to boot, all basically for free... DONE! You can always reinstall it if you change you mind.
Haha well that's a pretty compelling argument for removal! I just need to look further into how difficult it will be to get the condenser, lines and compressor out.....and for that matter back in again should I want it back in again.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Gary
The refrigerant most likely isn't the problem its the Compressor clutch. Mine has done the same thing, some times it works some times not. Had the refrigerant charge checked and it is right at spec level and there are no system leaks.I also am considering removing the condenser, compressor and the hoses. I am not going to remove the heater box and fan though. Weight savings might be around 25 lbs. Have to find A/C system caps for the remaining parts to prevent moisture from corroding the system after removal other wise in a few months its all junk.
Steve

BLAZN BOSS

25lbs, hell just go on a diet for 25 lbs and the car stays comfortable..........if needed

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

BLAZN BOSS said:
25lbs, hell just go on a diet for 25 lbs and the car stays comfortable..........if needed

I would agree if I used my car much on the street, but like Gary, Drew and others my car has progressed to the point that the next comfort item installed will be a full cage and a fuel cell :eek: I'm leaving the fan box in because at Charlotte we had a race in the rain and all the guys with 302S and Fr500 cars had no defrost fans and were wiping their windshields with their gloves at 130 mph in a monsoon.

Steve

steveespo said:
Gary
The refrigerant most likely isn't the problem its the Compressor clutch. Mine has done the same thing, some times it works some times not. Had the refrigerant charge checked and it is right at spec level and there are no system leaks.I also am considering removing the condenser, compressor and the hoses. I am not going to remove the heater box and fan though. Weight savings might be around 25 lbs. Have to find A/C system caps for the remaining parts to prevent moisture from corroding the system after removal other wise in a few months its all junk.
Steve
Thanks for chiming in Steve, that's good to know. Last year mine didn't work the first time I turnedit on, then did tthe next time. I have tried it two days straight now hoping for the same result but no luck yet.

I am thinking of the same components as you stated above. Once you have it sorted out an update on the solution you find for capping the lines would be appreciated.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Dude..what kind of race car is this? CUT THE BELT! :) Then ditch the compressor next time you have the K-Member off. Mine is still there; for now...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Great advice to plug any open connections, if and when you remove it. Most important to cap the evap core if you leave it in the car. I haven't done a newer car, but removing A/C isn't that difficult. Hardest part IMO was recapturing (most) of the refrigerant, if you're going to do that. You'll probably need some disconnect tools if you don't have them (like fuel line quick disconnect tools). Have a bunch of rags on hand to absorb the lube that will come out once you start disconnecting the depressurized system. Otherwise most of the parts should be relatively easy to remove.

EDIT: No quick disconnects like on older stangs.

Anyone else expecting a totally different thread from Gary with that title??!? Anyone? Seriously, glad all is well with the Competition Orange rocket, Gary...

Z20WHAT said:
Anyone else expecting a totally different thread from Gary with that title??!? Anyone? Seriously, glad all is well with the Competition Orange rocket, Gary...
Whoops, that could be a bit misleading. :D Thanks. All is well, just trying to figure out how I can squeeze another tenth of a second out at the Roundup this year ;)

cloud9 said:
Thanks for chiming in Steve, that's good to know. Last year mine didn't work the first time I turnedit on, then did tthe next time. I have tried it two days straight now hoping for the same result but no luck yet.

I am thinking of the same components as you stated above. Once you have it sorted out an update on the solution you find for capping the lines would be appreciated.

I have the same issue with lack of AC and that combined with improved cooling and reduced front end weight make removal compelling. Would be great if someone posted a "How To"......

Black Boss said:
I have the same issue with lack of AC and that combined with improved cooling and reduced front end weight make removal compelling. Would be great if someone posted a "How To"......
Your A/C isn't working either? I'm checking with my Ford tech buddy on his schedule. If we can find an evening in the next couple weeks I'll do my best to assist with photographing it and writing it up. I need to ask him what he's planning for capping the lines.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Z20WHAT said:

I had the same initial reaction...

Unfortunately, the best a/c plugs I've found are the ones that often come on new replacement parts.

TMO Supporting Vendors