The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I may able to locate an Airaid C.A.I. Part# 451-174? I have been trying to locate one for over a month and a half. I checked Airaid's website and called them as well and they are saying a 6 to 8 week backorder on these. I have checked both Ebay and Amazon and actually ordered that specific part# from Amazon and received Part# 453-174...not once but twice. Ebay vendors show they have them on hand and available but when you contact them they do not have them in stock and they are all backordered through Airaid. I have had my Ford Racing TB for over a month and am HIGHLY frustrated to say the least with the unavailability of the Airaid C.A.I. I know the only difference between the 451 and 453 is the color of the filter....red versus blue...knowing what I know I should have kept the 453 and just ordered the red filter. I changed out my coil covers to the Black Ford Racing coil covers so am trying to be somewhat color coordinated. Must be the OCD in me!

Same deal here.Looks like I might as well cancel my order with Amazon.Jegs is saying mid April.I guess we will see.

Same here, I have had my FR throttle body for well over a month and ordered a 453-174 from Amazon on 28 Dec. Amazon customer service supervisor told me that they hope to have their stock in from Airaid around 6 March; we will see.

Well that is ironic BOSSCWO....I ordered the 451-174 from Amazon over a month ago and received the 453-174 instead and sent it back for a replacement for the 451-174 that I ordered and received another 453-174 and just returned it 2 days ago and received a refund! Knowing what I know now I wish that I would have kept it and just ordered the red filter from Airaid. The search will continue today...

BadPony - Yeah I wish they would have had the part numbers stocked correctly then I would have already received one of the ones they sent you. I wonder how long it will take to re-stock the two 453-174s you had to send back? I will need to wait out Amazon Prime to take advantage of the free shipping to Hawaii. They'll probably end up sending me the red one (451-174)! Good luck on your search.

I think Airaid is having some issues keeping this in stock. I had an issues getting it to me after ordering it as well. 11 days later it showed up.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My magazine test will have Airaid CAI results, but not TB numbers. However, I will post those as well when the magazine hits shelves.

<> When is the magazine article coming out? <>

I received my copy in the mail today. To cut to the chase here's the difference with the Airaid CAI:

Silver Key
Peak HP increase 13.46@7,000 RPM's

Red Key
Peak HP increase 26.11@7,300 RPM's

Was this with the reduction sleeve in place and exhaust discs removed?

Yes the MVT was in place. No tune whatsoever. Exhaust discs are out. They have been since I bought it.

I want to say the gains were more like 17rw silver and 23rw red key.

RRBoss302 said:
Yes the MVT was in place. No tune whatsoever. Exhaust discs are out. They have been since I bought it.

I want to say the gains were more like 17rw silver and 23rw red key.

That means you can put up the pic's and all your data, right? They no longer have you by the testicles. I'm making the assumption you are a guy. If your not, I'm sorry for the comment. Replace testicles with Huha's. :)

racered302 said:
That means you can put up the pic's and all your data, right? They no longer have by the testicles. I'm making the assumption you are a guy. If your not, I'm sorry for the comment. Replace testicles with Huha's. :)

Yep, I c o u l d...

Ok guys, let me clarify and break down the numbers and mods.

Here's the dyno sheet from the day we shot the tech article. The runs are, in order:

1) stock CAI and stock TB using silver key (Runfile 002)

2) stock CAI and stock TB using red key (Runfile 003)

3) Airaid CAI and stock TB using silver key (Runfile 006)

4) Airaid CAI and stock TB using red key (Runfile 008 )

**** I never made a pull with aftermarket TB and STOCK CAI****

a1598d1c3c40afc70b18cc39886ae0f9_zpsf2586f62.jpg

Now, I later went back with the Airaid and stock TB still on. I brought an Accufab 84.5mm to do some more back to back testing. The following is silver key before and after testing of the Accufab 84.5mm TB. No tune.

1) Airaid CAI and stock TB with silver key

2) Airaid CAI and Accufab 84.5mm TB with silver key

af388ac4662437c7d9d48bcb1176c350_zpsc6a2517a.jpg

The following dyno sheet is the same Airaid CAI with stock vs Accufab 84.5mm TB using red key.

1) Airaid and stock TB with red key

2) Airaid and Accufab 84.5mm TB with red key

The baselines with stock TB were actually a little higher than the day of the tech feature shoot. It's one of two things, either it's just because it was on a different day, or two, the ecu adapted to the Airaid CAI and it made even more power.

Either way, the end result was that I went from 372rwhp to 409rwhp and 336rwtq to 369rwtq on the red key, using only the Airaid CAI and Accufab 84.5mm TB. All with no tune. That's pretty huge IMO.

c69a1503eab07251929bfa411aa25bdf_zps36d3d100.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
RRBoss302

Thank you for posting these results. Very similar to Tyme Slayer's numbers, he get about 10 more, but two things might influence this, 1. I believe he has installed Borla axle back mufflers, and 2. Test performed in Denver but corrected.

Good article and nice job.
302 Hi Pro

Thanks for posting that up.
I've had the TB for months and the CAI on order since February.
I can't wait to give it a try.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
gww52 said:
Thanks for posting that up.
I've had the TB for months and the CAI on order since February.
I can't wait to give it a try.

Did you order the carbon fiber, Parnelli Jones cai? If so....I was told they are on indefinite backorder. Maybe you already know that? Guess they are trying to find a new source for their carbon fiber....I ended up going with their molded plastic.

Wayne

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel