The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadPony said:
I just received my FR TB yesterday and am still waiting on the CAI. After reading RaceRed302's experience after installing his TB I must admit I am now a little nervous about the "Calibration Required" on the FR TB versus the AccuFab. I am hoping it was or is just a bad FR TB or just a quick fix of some sort versus having do a calibration or tune which is something I and many of us did not want to do.

I received my FR TB Wednesday but couldn't get the coupler until tonight. I'm not sure if this is your problem but I followed the detailed instructions including cutting off the alignment pin. Started her up and huge vacuum leak. Ran my hand under the TB before she died and felt a huge leak. Upon removal I found this additional pin. It needs to be trimmed back. Reassembled and perfect.
yvabatab.jpg2y4ene9a.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/01/11/tujyradu.jpg

Of course now it's dark and drizzly so need to wait til Sunday when it drys out to open her up.

Terry

I did the CAI first and ran it for a month or so. Then added the Accufab TB. No drivability issues at all.

Maybe doing both and once caused the problem? I sort of doubt it, but that's the only variable I can think of. I didn't do any idle resets or even unplug the battery.

I doubt my car is special and accepted the mods better than another Boss. Make sure all clamps are tight, MAF connector is secure and that the MVT is installed.

69MustangMan, I see that you are running the PCV Delete System and catch can, I run this set up as well. On your CAI inlet tube how did you block of the fitting on the inlet tube where the PCV line is supposed to hook up? I bough some rubber caps to cap it off but I do not even see a fitting on your tube. Can the fitting be removed and plugged?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
racered302 said:
Installed the TB and CAI last night because they both kept staring at me. Started the car and it didn't like the TB. It sat there and chugged and the wrench was lit. Smelled like it was running rich too, no throttle control. Connector to the throttle body was secure. The code said "throttle "A" position sensor low, throttle "B" position sensor low". Not sure if the throttle body is defective or this one does need to be cal'd. Either way it's not working and I'll have to wait till I take my car in next week. BTW, this is the FRPP one not Accufab.

First step did you disconnect the battery? When I replaced mine, I did, then when all together, reconnected the battery. Key in ignition turn to on position. Don't start the engine. Let the tack needle cycle. Then turn key off. Key on let tach needle cycle, then start. She will start right up. Do not rev the engine, let it go to high idle, (note will idle at 1500 rpm for a few seconds then come down to 1200 then down to idle at 750 TK 650-700 Silver key.

Rev it up you are set. It has to reset with engine PCM.

Next, you code sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you trim both locator tabs? Some have said only trim 9 o'clock tab. My straight edge told me to trim both tabs. Recheck this before you send it back. OBTW, if you got it from Yoemans then you have a ford dealer invoice, parts warranty is good nation wide, even at your local ford dealer, so you don't have to send it back to Florida.

Good luck and keep us posted.
2HP

I got my TB to work yesterday. It seems like the butterfly was either pushed beyond it's resting position or it had a clump of frozen grease inside keeping it from moving. When I pushed on the butterfly it resisted, like it was bound up, then it moved, not all the sudden but gradual so it wasn't metal to metal. I worked a couple of time and it was fine. Installed and it works now. I have to wait for Sunday for the rain to clear then the roads should be salt free also. I know the initial sticking issue is going to be in the back of my head but I think I'm good now.

2hp - The first time around I disconnected the battery so it would relearn from ground zero. When I started and it couldn't breath, no throttle responds what so ever, chugged like a train from the 1800's. It's all good now. I would have taken it apart a transferred everything over from the stock throttle body, but luckily I didn't have to.

69mustangman said:
ve9eva8y.jpg

Note the two indentions on the TB for the locator pins. Ones at 3 o'clock and the other at 6

Terry

I found that yesterday too, not when I first installed, thought it went together kind of funny. I seen it when I took it apart and had some daylight assist. Glad you posted this up, I wouldn't have used picture. :)

BadPony said:
69MustangMan, I see that you are running the PCV Delete System and catch can, I run this set up as well. On your CAI inlet tube how did you block of the fitting on the inlet tube where the PCV line is supposed to hook up? I bough some rubber caps to cap it off but I do not even see a fitting on your tube. Can the fitting be removed and plugged?

BadPony
I have a plug in the hole. Here's a picture showing it. You don't see it from the front view but if you look at it from the drivers side it's there.

9utequ2y.jpg

umy2yze2.jpg

Terry

The coil covers were one of the designs submitted to Ford Racing for consideration to sell and were first shown at SEMA back in 2011. The company is a big valve cover manufacturer. I tried to buy these from them back then but was told they couldn't sell yet as they were waiting for FR approval. I gave up trying to get these and the only ones available were the ones that had Ford Racing laser etched vs BOSS 302. Then one day guess what appeared on eBay? Yep, the very same set that was at SEMA. They were being sold by the manufacturer as the only set ever made. $120 and they're mine. FR never approved this design. Such a shame. These are quality, aluminum die cast chrome covers. And on the underside, guess what's stamped there? Ford Racing. Too cool.
sute8yra.jpg
6erena7a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewTnp1jWAI
Www.ansenusa.com.

Terry

69MustangMan thanks for the pictures of the plug on your CAI. I will have to go and look for a plug, much cleaner looking than capping off the fitting. How does the fitting come off, is it threaded on to the CAI? Do you remember what size plug you used? Great score on the one off custom coil covers! I am surprised Ford did not go with those or approve them for aftermarket purchase. I have the Black Ford racing coil covers.

Thanks guys. Not sure of the size. You can measure the diameter after you remove the grommet. It's a rubber plug. It's soft but not so much that it would get sucked in.

Terry

racered302 said:
I got my TB to work yesterday. It seems like the butterfly was either pushed beyond it's resting position or it had a clump of frozen grease inside keeping it from moving. When I pushed on the butterfly it resisted, like it was bound up, then it moved, not all the sudden but gradual so it wasn't metal to metal. I worked a couple of time and it was fine. Installed and it works now. I have to wait for Sunday for the rain to clear then the roads should be salt free also. I know the initial sticking issue is going to be in the back of my head but I think I'm good now.

2hp - The first time around I disconnected the battery so it would relearn from ground zero. When I started and it couldn't breath, no throttle responds what so ever, chugged like a train from the 1800's. It's all good now. I would have taken it apart a transferred everything over from the stock throttle body, but luckily I didn't have to.

I'd be leery of using that TB. It could be disastrous going WOT on the street and having the butterfly stick open. I would get it exchanged with a replacement or open the unit and see what it causing the binding issue.

I was busy in the BMO global headquarters garage today. :eek:

I received my FR TB earlier in the week and decided to install it while we continue to have warmer than normal temps. I took my time and it took me about an hour from start to finish. I'll cut straight to the bottom line.

Before I installed the TB I went for a drive and did several 50 MPH fourth gear pulls to get a feel for how it pulled and the response with the engine from moderate throttle openings. Doing the same with the new TB it did seem to pull a bit cleaner but not a big difference. Driving through my neighborhood slowly in second gear my Boss might have been a touch smoother but again not a big difference. The good news is my car fired right up and ran smoothly from the get go. It was idling at 650 RPM and was as smooth as silk. I have an Airaid CF intake with the restrictor in place and stock tune. My driving tests were with the silver key. Do I think my car runs smoother than before? It might but not by a lot. Do I think it's faster than it was stock? No. Is it possible the power band is fatter with more HP and TQ lower in the rev range? it's possible but I want to see dyno and 1/4 times to believe it.

More good news is AED likes the FR TB and Airaid intake for their tunes and Shaun is 45 minutes from me. One of these days I'll get my car tuned there so I'll be all set. So for now this is expensive under hood bling and it looks terrific with my CF Airaid intake.

IMG_3312_zps668c7fc0.jpg

The opening on the new TB is noticeably larger than stock. The entire stock inlet fits inside the new one with room to spare.
IMG_3305_zpsc6ce0677.jpg
IMG_3306_zps5ebb264e.jpg
IMG_3307_zps406c0e6d.jpg
IMG_3308_zps5cfc0089.jpg

The throttle sensor has the same part number as the stock TB.
IMG_3311_zps53e8bfdd.jpg

Shots before and after removing the tabs using a Dremel with a cutting wheel.
IMG_3309_zpsdb4cf420.jpg
IMG_3310_zpse126b679.jpg

I was surprised how much oil was on the inside of the stock TB. Is this from the oil being sucked in from stock and oil seperator setups?
IMG_3304_zps1891cfc9.jpg

I did a side by side check out of the stock and FR TB to be sure the problem I had initially was not going to come back too haunt me. When I took the cover off the gizums I found the gasket was not where it should have been, rubbing the gears. I reassembled it and test drove and it responded a tad bit better but it hard to tell, but I have piece of mind. I have to agree with the above assessment, it a bit better, but not holy s**t how cool is that. We'll see how the headers and mid pipe help, hopefully they will be in and dyno'd by the end of the week.

NFSBOSS,

Your findings were similar to mine. I didn't get a significant throttle response improvement like others have said. I did notice it, just not to the extent I had expected.

NFSBOSS

Thanks for your detailed pictures and report on your installation. I have my FR TB and silicone adapter on hand am just awaiting delivery of my CAI. I must say I am a bit surprised and concerned with the different results and opinions of forum members who have accomplished this modification. Ranging from easy installation, plug and play to having difficulties with the installation to what an impressive and surprising result this modification produced to cannot really feel or tell any improvement over stock and that it is just expensive under hood bling. I hope I am in the group that has the easy plug and play installation and that I can feel the difference in throttle response, HP and smoothness. While I am all for a little under hood bling, but IMO it is hard to justify that kind of money for bling with little to no performance increase.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel