The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got to test my mod's on the Highway and I think I'm addicted to the Trackey now. I was sceptically before the mods but the sound and responds at WOT is addictive, and decell is grin inducing to say the least. I may not have gained a mechanically measurable hp but this thing zips along quite nicely. I'm waiting on my cat delete legs to see what that will do. I have a feeling I my be keeping the side pipe closed until I'm on the highway. :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Had the Boss do two pulls today at RWR in Littleton, CO., run on a Dynojet Winpep7. I'm not an expert at reading these charts so anyone wanting to pipe in with comments and opinions, it will be appreciated. All told Rob at RWR seemed quite impressed. Silver key hit 409 and 358 TQ. Red key hit 418 and 367 highs.

I am running FRPP 84.5MM TB - Airaid PJ CAI with the Venturi tube in - Borla ATAK Axle backs and running 91 octane. Everything else is stock. I was going to have pulls done without the TB & CAI and then reinstall them but was too lazy to take it off and put it back on. The blue is the silver key and the red, the red key.

RWRDyno2-15-14_zps71735d9e.png

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Tyme Slayer

Dyno runs on a Saturday, great way to slay some tyme.! 409 and 358 Silver Key and 418 and 367 with the Red Key. That is really impressive for two reasons. I have seen many stock Boss 302's running 380 something HP, a few that hit in the very low 390ish range, so when you think about it, your silver key is running about 18-24 HP above that. Now I know that all Dynos are different and even the same Chassis Dyno is different on different days but even so that 20 extra HP is impressive.

Now let's talk Red Key! You added 9 and 9, that is even more impressive and it looks like the TracKey, (Red Key) fun begins at just about 4,750 RPM. With the results you posted, You can safely say you hit 30HP above average from most of the Dyno runs I have seen a stock Boss 302. That is fantastic, and to me, is a testament to selecting the right parts that work and work well together.

What else do we know, well the Accufab TB with the PJ CAI was suggesting fantastic results, but would not review the numbers due to the upcoming 5.0 Magazine article on his install. This started the Mystery Spacer inspections on our cars, and to my surprise, we have other members reporting spacers. Who knew? We could chat for some time as to the intended purpose of that and why some have and most do not.

However the fact remains that you turned Dyno numbers that are similar to what I thing we will see in 5.0 magazine. We will see.

You must really feel a difference when running the TracKey. Or, it could be the color, as it turns out Kona Blue is a mighty powerful color! LoL

Any way, I am so happy for you and your successful Dyno experience,
All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
dabossinne said:
TS's dyno numbers are also impressive given the ~5k altitude. Would be interesting to see what that combo would produce at lower density altitudes.
Not really, if you look at the bottom you see the actual 24.39 in Hg barometric pressure and the SAE 1.24 correction factor. This brings it to the standard 30.24 in Hg at 70 deg F, which is pretty good air at sea level. Good dyno operators use SAE correction factors all the time to make the result comparison as equal as possible.
Steve

Great results!!!

I wasn't praising these mods so highly for no reason. Now I will gain a little credibility :)

My magazine test will have Airaid CAI results, but not TB numbers. However, I will post those as well when the magazine hits shelves.

Thanks for sharing your dyno results!

RRBoss302 said:
My magazine test will have Airaid CAI results, but not TB numbers. However, I will post those as well when the magazine hits shelves.
When? ::)

steveespo said:
Not really, if you look at the bottom you see the actual 24.39 in Hg barometric pressure and the SAE 1.24 correction factor. This brings it to the standard 30.24 in Hg at 70 deg F, which is pretty good air at sea level. Good dyno operators use SAE correction factors all the time to make the result comparison as equal as possible.
Steve
Good point Steve. Mine were done at about 1600 ft above sea level, but were also SAE corrected so would be comparable to TimeSlayer's even at different altitudes. The two graphs are stock and then just adding LTHs and O/R H-pipe.

It's a little peculiar that TS's silver key numbers dropped off at the top end of the RPM range compared to TK as I haven't seen that before. The general consensus (including commentary from Ford Racing) is that there is no HP gain from TracKey. You can see this in my "stock" graph below with 2 silver key pulls and 3 TK pulls.

Comparing the two mods, there's no doubt that you get a bigger bang from the LTHs and O/R H-pipe, albeit with a more difficult install and a few hundred more dollars. What I'd really like to know is what gains this TB and a CAI (not sure Airaid would be any different than others such as JLT, Steeda, etc. assuming similar tube size?) would give you after doing the LTH and O/R mid-pipe.

Stock (2 runs with silver key and 3 with TK):

With LTHs and O/R H-pipe:

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My guess on why the two keys are diff. The silver is driven more and has pulled some power over time. A kam clear is recommended before any dyno tests are done.

Justin said:
My guess on why the two keys are diff. The silver is driven more and has pulled some power over time. A kam clear is recommended before any dyno tests are done.
Pulled power from something like lower octane fuel used on the silver key? Just curious.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Justin said:

I have just under 3K on the car but about 2800 miles of that was with the red key.

Pardon my ignorance but I ran on the stock tires but am curious as to if any effect tires might have? Would tires that stick better to the rollers and change the readings?

Justin

cloud9 said:
Pulled power from something like lower octane fuel used on the silver key? Just curious.
yeah and driving habits. But since he has most of his miles on the trackey maybe the short span on silver key it has lower octane in its history. Just guessing

Justin

TymeSlayer said:
I have just under 3K on the car but about 2800 miles of that was with the red key.

Pardon my ignorance but I ran on the stock tires but am curious as to if any effect tires might have? Would tires that stick better to the rollers and change the readings?
only if it was slipping on the rollers. Which I doubt unless it wasn't strapped down correctly

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Justin said:
only if it was slipping on the rollers. Which I doubt unless it wasn't strapped down correctly

It was strapped down tight or RWR might have and four wrecked Mustangs in his garage. Rob seems to be a Mustang magnet. Including a black GT when I looked inside it had the rolled up red Boss 302 stripes inside. It'll go with the red and black seats but she won't be a true Boss.

TymeSlayer said:
Had the Boss do two pulls today at RWR in Littleton, CO., run on a Dynojet Winpep7. I'm not an expert at reading these charts so anyone wanting to pipe in with comments and opinions, it will be appreciated. All told Rob at RWR seemed quite impressed. Silver key hit 409 and 358 TQ. Red key hit 418 and 367 highs.

I am running FRPP 84.5MM TB - Airaid PJ CAI with the Venturi tube in - Borla ATAK Axle backs and running 91 octane. Everything else is stock. I was going to have pulls done without the TB & CAI and then reinstall them but was too lazy to take it off and put it back on. The blue is the silver key and the red, the red key.

RWRDyno2-15-14_zps71735d9e.png

I'm thinking of doing Accufab/CAI in lieu of the CJ setup, because I cannot find a tuner in the NE familiar with CJ/Cams.
Since I am running Kooks LT, I am curious as to your a/f on those dyno runs?
- Anyone try this setup with LTH's on-board, with specific attention to the resulting a/f ratio?
I am a little concerned about opening up both ends, flow-wise...
I have also installed the hi-perf pulse ring this winter...
Thanks for posting...

Justin

lbp said:
I'm thinking of doing Accufab/CAI in lieu of the CJ setup, because I cannot find a tuner in the NE familiar with CJ/Cams.
Since I am running Kooks LT, I am curious as to your a/f on those dyno runs?
- Anyone try this setup with LTH's on-board, with specific attention to the resulting a/f ratio?
I am a little concerned about opening up both ends, flow-wise...
I have also installed the hi-perf pulse ring this winter...
Thanks for posting...
its a mod after the maf and since the car is equipped with wide band and a really good computer it automatically will adjust the a/f is what my educated guess tells me.

For the cj/cams have you contacted aed about a tune? He does remote tuning

Justin said:
its a mod after the maf and since the car is equipped with wide band and a really good computer it automatically will adjust the a/f is what my educated guess tells me.

For the cj/cams have you contacted aed about a tune? He does remote tuning

Agreed about the open loop wide band.
That is exactly what we got on the dyno when the Kooks LTH's were put on; the ecu riched up the a/f a couple of points when the Kooks were installed.
My concern is being opened up at both ends, that the TKey tune parameters might not have quite wide enough envelope to accommodate more flow, again, i.e., more flow required by the Accufab on top of what the Kook's are already taking away from whatever a/f table TK is using.

- By the way I called Accufab and the tech I spoke with mentioned that "sometimes a tune is required, sometimes not" which I found to be a totally non-committal way to avoid the question!

Also, when Accufab did their initial dial-in it was on the stock tune (GT?) NOT Track Key.
In fact the tech at Accufab had never heard of Track Key!
Maybe TK has a better a/f table to work from than whatever stock tune Accufab is using to baseline their design???

I've decided to forgo the middle ground and instead use these guys:
http://www.performanceautosport.com/
I am doing CJ + CJ intake + CAI (using oval, not dual intake TB) without cams.

I spoke with Kevin who does the Mustang tuning there at Performance Autosport, and I was very happy to find out that, unlike most of the shops in NJ, they are road race experienced/focused and actually compete in NASA American Iron with the Road Runner engine.

VA is not exactly convenient to NJ, but I am willing to travel to get the right outcome instead of shrugs and blank looks.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Thanks for posting!

So anyone who DOES have this OEM spacer, can you verify if there are any manufacturing or part numbers on it anywhere?

Also, perhaps those WITH the spacer can measure their throttle body from opening (where the air enters) to the rear, (the flat portion that sits against the intake manifold? Perhaps there were some production cars that used a different throttle body for some reason and now FORD is using all the same....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel