The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today was part two-of-two of my no-tune bolt on Boss mods. I installed a Airaid carbon fiber CAI a little while back and had good results. As many of you know, it was for a tech feature for 5.0 Mustangs so I can't quite reveal those results yet, but as I had stated before, they were impressive.

I am dead set against getting a tune so I can keep my warranty. So the next logical step was a no-tune TB. Enter the Accufab 84.5mm unit. It is sold as a no-tune required bolt on TB. It's only competitors are the BBK 85 and 90mm units. I chose the Accufab based on the superior build quality and excellent reputation. Accufab are suppliers of Ford Racing's throttle bodies.

From what I had researched, there was little to be expected in terms of peak power gains with the 84.5mm unit. However, there were reports of mid-range gains and improved throttle response. I figured this would be a worthwhile mod if those were the results.

I woke up early and headed down to GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga. An excellent shop for anyone in the area looking for a place to go. Great customer service.

We strapped the car down and prepped it for a pull with the stock TB, one run with silver key and one with the red key. My mods are the Airaid CAI and a pair of Flowmaster super 10 mufflers. That's it.

image_zpsa00e5dd1.jpg

Started making pulls with the stock TB

http://youtu.be/i36Jk_B-HWg

Surprisingly, the car made even more power than it did last time when we did back to back runs with the Airaid vs stock air box. It was up by around 10 rwhp with no other changes. Same dyno. Only thing I can figure is that the ECU must have adapted to the CAI and the tune changed enough to make more power. Either way, it was a welcome change.

After getting baselines with silver and red keys, the TB swap commenced. It's a super easy procedure....

Remove the CAI to TB coupler, remove 4 TB bolts and un-clip the harness from TB motor. It will literally fall off into your hand.

image_zps652af381.jpg

image_zps9db0c33c.jpg

Stock TB and stock spacer. You will not need a spacer with the Accufab TB.

image_zpsd00c9861.jpg

Your going to have this little plastic nub sticking out, which will prevent the larger housing of the Accufab TB from fully seating against the intake. It's in between the upper and lower TB bolt holes on left side.

image_zpsf2a4ca17.jpg

Grab a loose sawzall blade and carefully saw away at the nub. It comes off easily.

image_zpsc5996417.jpg

After

image_zps942788d3.jpg

Stock vs Accufab

image_zpsb2556c90.jpg

Simply bolt on the Accufab TB. It comes with new bolts. I snugged them down but be cautious not to use too much torque or you risk pulling out the brass inserts from the manifold

image_zps6e5f5525.jpg

You'll need a new silicone coupler. The O.D. of the Accufab TB is 4". Since my Airaid is also 4", I went on eBay and ordered a 4" to 4" straight silicone coupler. Works perfect.

image_zps3ba60c27.jpg

image_zps1de4b18b.jpg

While I really can't reveal actual dyno numbers yet because of the pending tech feature, here's a shot of the power curves after the Accufab TB. First silver key. It picked up quite a bit mid-to-upper range. Both hp and torque. AFR stayed virtually the same. I will tell you that peak power was up 9 rwhp and 9 rwtq. I was surprised it gained that much. It gained nearly 20 rwhp and nearly 15 rwtq at around 6000-6500 rpm. That's a good increase all around. Green is Accufab, blue is stock TB.

image_zps7219dcae.jpg

Next up was red key. For some reason the separation in the graph wasn't as significant between stock and Accufab TB. However, peak power was overall higher than the highest silver key run by another 9 rwhp and 4 rwtq. And it gained 6 rwhp and 4 rwtq over red key with stock TB. It still made more power and torque everywhere. AFR was still perfect. Red key is red line, stock TB is blue.

image_zps5c459c09.jpg

Made a nice little pull after leaving the dyno. This car rips! I HIGHLY recommend doing this mod. This and the CAI have made this car a whole different beast. All with zero tuning and retaining my factory warranty.

Throttle response is definitely improved. However, it wasn't the night and day, shocking difference some have reported. But it is certainly noticeable.

There you have it. Real world, back to back testing of a no tune TB. In my opinion, the Accufab 84.5 is absolutely worth the price. I'll let each of you decide for yourselves based on the results...

That is incredible.
When it was said that the AIRAID CAI swap needed no tune, I kind of bought it because:
a) It was checked on a dyno and all engine vitals must have been monitored and kept safe...
b) The diameter at MAF remained unchanged...
But now that further gains are made with an oversized TB... again with no tune...WTF!
Vids from BBK 85mm show a 15hp increase / AIRAID claims 10hp...
I suspect it is not additional (25hp) but still, I am impressed because I kind of never really trusted those advertisements.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/910289-airaid-cai-accufab-84-5mm-throttle-body-out-tune.html
More blabla about it :)

Very nice and I look forward to your full report. Any idea when it will hit the store shelves?

BTW a Ford engineer told me that the restriction of the Boss intake is at the throttle which the CJ intake solves. The 90mm TB Ford had available didn't work well with the PCM and the dual 60mm bore from the GT500/6.8L V10 engines isn't that good of a performer so they were stuck with the 80mm TB. So if the 85MM TB works with the PCM as it appears it does then a gain should be possible as you've shown.

Hopefully some of our vendors can come up with a discount on this. Can you please post a link to the ebay vendor where you purchased the coupler?

https://www.accufabracing.com/throttle-body/product/118-mustang-gt-5-0l-2011-2013-throttle-body

1321293067_gt2-600x300.jpg

patrickshelby, you're going to be surprised when I'm able to reveal how much rwhp and rwtq the CAI and TB together have added. It certainly took me by surprise. When guys see how much rwhp you can make without a tune, some may re-consider a tune all together so as to retain the factory warranty.

I laugh at those comments in the SVTP thread. "Don't waste your money on a <10 hp gain." These are people who haven't tried it and tested it. I'll tell you with complete honesty, they don't know what they're talking about. The CAI and TB work great together and the total gain was significantly higher.

NFSBOSS, if I recall correctly the feature is due around May. But the issues are usually a few months ahead so possibly February I'm hoping.

Here's the coupler I purchased. The two hose clamps needed are size 64. If you have an Airaid CAI you'll only need one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200746159552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looking forward to the article as I have been contemplating a tune. Hate to ask but, didn't you void the warranty by installing aftermarket parts? If it can be proved it caused a failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Phantom said:
Looking forward to the article as I have been contemplating a tune. Hate to ask but, didn't you void the warranty by installing aftermarket parts? If it can be proved it caused a failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Since you're not changing the tune all you'd need to do is swap it out before any service work. I can't see a way that they'd be able to tell there was a different TB on a car without a tune...especially if the air/fuel mixture remains the same as stock as indicated.

This is good info...Thanks RRBoss302. I hadn't considered any underhood power mods until now. Anywhere around a 20 HP increase and an improved power curve and throttle response sounds like a good return for only a TB and CAI (sounds like it might even be more once the CAI test numbers are released).

As someone metioned earlier, maybe one of our vendors can do a discount or group buy, packaging the Airaid CAI and TB???

Is the Ford Racing 84.5mm TB the same TB?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13522

The description says calibration required...

Eric said:

Yes, they are both the same and made by Accufab. The only difference is that one says Accufab on it while the other says Ford Racing. When I spoke with George at Accufab he also said that the 84.5 ouflowed the 90 mm TB.

NFSBOSS said:
Unless they read it posted on the internet. ;)

That is how they tend to get a lot of people if there is a big warranty issue. Ford will look around to see if you abused the car or if you put mods on it that might have caused the failure .... sneaky sneaky

Sean said:
That is how they tend to get a lot of people if there is a big warranty issue. Ford will look around to see if you abused the car or if you put mods on it that might have caused the failure .... sneaky sneaky

Funny but true. They are known for checking forums when researching major failures. One could always be safe and preface any statements about mods with the acronym, SWIM...someone who isn't me.

Let me clarify my earlier statement about the interest in the CAI and TB...SWIM hadn't considered any under hood power mods until now. ;D

Sean said:
Yes, they are both the same and made by Accufab. The only difference is that one says Accufab on it while the other says Ford Racing. When I spoke with George at Accufab he also said that the 84.5 ouflowed the 90 mm TB.

IDK what your talking about, the latter saved me and helped me make sure my warranty was honored.

I can alleviate some of the suspense. The difference on my car between AED tune only and AED tune plus Steeda CAI was 13 hp. Airaid should be in the same ballpark.

65sohc said:
I can alleviate some of the suspense. The difference on my car between AED tune only and AED tune plus Steeda CAI was 13 hp. Airaid should be in the same ballpark.

You and I had different results :)

Eric said:

Correct!
It says "Calibration required (not included)" in bold letters!!!!

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
65sohc said:

So your net gain with the AED tune and CAI was 20 hp? I had seen a previous thread where you wrote that the AED tune alone yielded a gain of 7 hp.

patrickshelby said:
Correct!
It says "Calibration required (not included)" in bold letters!!!!
Hard to imagine you can swap TBs and not need a tune if you're flowing significantly more air. Same holds true with the intake. If you run the Airaid with the MVT it restricts airflow to match the stock CAI. If you remove the MVT to increase airflow they tell you a tune is required or you'll be lean. If you're not flowing more air, you're probably not going to make significantly more power. There are some threads in here that go way back to when Airaid launched the intake for the Boss and to my knowledge no one was able to independently verify a hp gain. If that data's out there, it would be nice to see it. What would be even better is seeing a real gain in lap times on the track, or ETs on the drag strip.

I've been down the TB path on my GT500, and tuning them especially for street driving is a challenging prospect. If you do swap TBs you'll want to make sure the tuner you're using has been able to successfully dial in the drivability.

I can tell you that LTHs with an off-road mid-pipe gain 35-40 rwhp and 25 rwtq. That's been proven over and over again. That can be done without a tune, but you'll obviously get a cat efficiency CEL unless you have it switched off in a custom tune.

It comes down to your dealer and their willingness to work with you on a warranty claim, and the cause of the failure. Warranty is denied when a modification is deemed to cause the failure. Swapping CAIs and TBs would be no less subject to this process than a custom calibration. If you're making more horsepower and it's deemed the increase hp caused a failure, why would that be covered just because you didn't change the calibration?

Airaid threads:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=929.100

Airaid and AED Tune

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5655.msg85619#msg85619

Not much info in these

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=977.msg13833#msg13833

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4537.msg70382#msg70382

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1230.msg17866#msg17866

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1058.msg21967#msg21967

TMO Supporting Vendors