The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Grant, thanks. I will title it
"How to go broke in 1000 days without really trying"
Seriously this forum is big part of why it is enjoyable to keep working on the car.
We have great mechanics, great drivers, great racers, great fabricators and cottage vendors, great moderators and a general population that enjoy some or all of the aspects of owning, racing, driving , modifying, cleaning and showing their cars. I have made 3 very good friendships and many more great forum relationships here. We are also a known force in the HDPE circuit at least here in the East. When I'm at events people approach and say, "hey, I know your car, your one of those Boss Mustang guys" I then explain that I am an imposter but do hang with a good many Boss guys. I just want to say it really is fun coming here every day and reading what everyone is doing. Really think we should look into getting a track rental at Road America in conjunction with an HPDE organization an throw an event. I would love to do Hastings but can't take a week to haul out there.
Anyway let's return to our regular scheduled programming.
Steve

This was my before, stock tune, and after with a tune. A/F is really lean with kooks LT and h-pipe using the OP set up and yes the venturi was in there before the tune. Something still doesn't seem right. Sort of flat even though it faster, doesn't jerk my head back like it used to.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r607/racered302/Dynotune_zpsac7a7bef.jpg

steveespo said:
I just want to say it really is fun coming here every day and reading what everyone is doing. Really think we should look into getting a track rental at Road America in conjunction with an HPDE organization an throw an event. I would love to do Hastings but can't take a week to haul out there.
Anyway let's return to our regular scheduled programming.
Steve

This would be great to do...I'd be willing to go as far as a day's drive, especially if we could make it a 2-3 day event. I'd be willing to do some leg work if anyone has a lead / connection with a Track Day organizer that might be interested in hosting us. If there is interest I can ask around at my next couple events.

steveespo said:
The air/fuel ratio with the red key and 84.5 mm TB look a little lean, actually a lot lean, if you run that on a road race course you may just need the warranty. A tuner will get that into a 12.2 - 12.4:1 mixture and keep it from burning the pistons down during sustained running at WOT.
Steve
Who is running that combo on a track without a tune?
Who is, but with a tune?
Who has available or would custom program a tune for that combo?

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
patrickshelby said:
Who is running that combo on a track without a tune?
Who is, but with a tune?
Who has available or would custom program a tune for that combo?

I run an 84.5mm...but with an Airaid without the reducer sleeve.....plus a couple of other things. I've just now been able to switch from a plastic Airaid to the PJ carbon fiber unit. The cf intake flows more air...which was a revelation to me....I've been told no additional power just flows better. I think the benefit of the larger TB shines when you can combine it with a larger bore cai. I've only had a chance to run the combo on the track once...unfortunately it was raining so I couldn't push the vehicle very hard.

Having said all of the above, I believe the more upgrades to the engine and the farther from oem parameters....a tuner is a wise investment. I'm doing mine all remote and it's not been very difficult. Shaun at AED is really good with setting up these engines....and he is extremely helpful...for tuning newbies like me.

Wayne

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I ran this TB with the PJ CAI and the sleeve with no tune for several track days and had no issues related to them. I now have an AED tune and have removed the sleeve and have the JEGS cat deletes and it runs well. I have had that mysterious wrench and limp mode a few times but I don't think thats related to this as was talked about in another thread.

I have the Ford Racing TB and the Airaid CF CAI.After looking at some of the dyno graphs I became a little concerned about being too lean on some of the tracks that require lots of power.I was thinking about going to run on a chassis dyno but picked up an aeroforce interceptor instead.I can tell you that you are most definately lean if you use the Track Key with this setup.I'm seeing a Lambda of .86-.87 at WOT.With the silver key the Lambda is .84 which should be safe.Has anyone else done this and see similar results?The big question is what to do about it.
Thanks, Guy

Or just use the silver key. Is this really that big of a deal? Won't the PCM adjust and keep the engine from cooking?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Can't say which TB is the best as I haven't tested all of them. But, I run a FRPP branded Accufab 84.5mm TB with good results. I use this TB with the OEM air box & MAF sensor with the OEM intake tube. Throttle response is excellent. Lately i have been thinking about installing a new AirAid MIT (intake tube only), to eliminate the muffler on the bottom side of the OEM intake tube and smooth the intake charge air flow.

Keeping the MAF tube and sensor should work with the wide band O2 sensors to maintain proper AFR. At least according to the June 2014 5.0 Magazine article.

Summary, So far... So good!

All the Best,
2HP

Actually the computer does keep the engine safe with the red key.I have the FRPP throttle body and the Airaid CF CAI.I added an Aeroforce Interceptor just to make sure I wasn't running lean. We went to Island Dragway a few weeks ago and made 10 passes.I ran five with the silver key and 5 with the red key.Both will command Lambda to under .80 on a long pull in 4th gear to 7500 RPM,so I'm feeling confident being lean should not be a problem.
Your results may vary!

I have had my 84.5 FRPP TB for awhile now and I finally got my Airaid CF CAI. I went back to review this thread on the forum before I do the install and now I have a couple of concerns after seeing some of the comments on the last couple of pages about running lean at WOT. I do not track the car...either road or drag strip and rarely do WOT runs for any considerable length of time...more around town and going to shows. My question is do any of you see any major concerns running this set up under these conditions without a tune?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Hi Guys, I installed a BOSS 302 intake, JLT Series II CAI, stock MAF sensor installed, and an Accu-Fab 84.5mm TB. I am on version 8 of tunes with a credible tuner and we cannot get this thing to stop having this weird hesitation/surge as the RPM sweeps from roughly 1800 to 3200rpm at say medium or less throttle input. It's as if the TB anticipates my throttle input and then goes "oh wait, you haven't given me that much throttle input let me back down" (as if it could talk). WOT is not a problem.

Right now eBay is sounding like a better place for this TB than under my hood. Anyone else have these same issues?

I had this accufab TB on my Boss when I got it a couple of years ago. It was paired with a no tune required air raid Cai. They were on the stock tunes. Ran perfect. The guy driving the yellow 50 Race Car (@captdistraction) on this page had nothing but problems with his attempt to run this TB. Short story long, you either get a good one, or you get a bad one. No middle ground. Side note, I found women in my life to fit this bill as well! LOL

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ran a 84.5m accufab TB on a boss manifold for quite a will. Got a AED tune for it from day one. Never had a problem with it and sold it to a buddy who has been running it for two seasons now. Would not run one without a tune.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel