The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accurate Tire pressure Gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddlefadel said:
Scott which model?

Dave my Craftsman say part number 23020 on it.

On a side note the TPMS sensors I installed thanks to ChuckP worked great and the numbers matched up to the gauge. It was nice to get real time pressures from the screen when I got a chance to glance down at them. It was easy to do on the last lap heading in.

It did not have .5 pressure so it would show the lower number ie: 38.5 would read 38. It was also nice seeing the tire temps, it is not the tread face but still nice to see how each tire/wheel was heating reference the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

2012YellowBoss said:
fiddlefadel said:
Scott which model?

On a side note the TPMS sensors I installed thanks to ChuckP worked great and the numbers matched up to the gauge. It was nice to get real time pressures from the screen when I got a chance to glance down at them. It was easy to do on the last lap heading in.

It did not have .5 pressure so it would show the lower number ie: 38.5 would read 38. It was also nice seeing the tire temps, it is not the tread face but still nice to see how each tire/wheel was heating reference the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1
Glad you were able to track test that unit. I'll be installing the sensors on my new 18" track wheels. I'm always concerned about a tire going down while on track. You can usually feel a tire going soft but having a real time display is a nice plus.

Oddly enough, I have had several analog gauges go bad but my cheapo digital ones from Ace Hardware just keep working. I test them against each other every once in a while (I have one in each car) and they all read a little different but not too bad. Each one is consistent in its readings which works for the track, and they are all close enough for street use. I'm sure they will go bad eventually, but I have not had an analog last more than a couple years.

ChuckP said:
Glad you were able to track test that unit. I'll be installing the sensors on my new 18" track wheels. I'm always concerned about a tire going down while on track. You can usually feel a tire going soft but having a real time display is a nice plus.

It was a nice find, by day two I did not have to jump out and rush to get pressures with the gauge. I still rechecked a few times to make sure they were matching up and each time it was right on, cool or hot.

Dave - I was in sears today buying more tools I don't need and saw the gauge was $26 full price.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I was at Home Depot today and they had a digital gauge with a built in digital tread depth measure. It was a little finger sticking out and as it pushed in it displayed how far it was sticking out. I always just eyeball tread depth since I don't run shaven tires but I guess it could be useful for some people.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ChuckP said:
2012YellowBoss said:
fiddlefadel said:
Scott which model?

Does any one know if the Orange Electronic unit TPMS transmitters are also compatible with the stock TMPS system in the Boss ? What I wouldn't want is to have the stock system always show a waring idiot light or not go on at all if a tire goes low....

EDIT: And why does it say on Amazon that this unit does not fit the Mustang ? Are the sensors shape specific to a particular wheel ?

If my new wheels show up in time I'll have Orange TPMS installed at WG this month. I'm pretty sure the sensors will not work with the built in factory TPMS...but I'll find out soon enough. I think that's why Amazon says unit is NOT compatible with 2012 Mustang...you need to use the supplied display unit with the Orange system. That's the way to go anyway since you get real time pressure and temp displays on all 4 tires simultaneously.

Chuck that is correct and you would not want to use them with the factory sensors anyway, it is just an idiot light. They fit my Ford Racing wheels fine and I love the screen with the real time display of the pressure and temps. I don't get to study the screen on track but as soon as the cool down laps starts I look over and see what the real hot pressure is, not five minutes later in the paddock.

Pete, the only way to not have the light is to remove it. I am use to it since I did not use TPMS sensors until I installed this setup.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel